X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by topcarbon View Post
    car looks fantastic
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

Today I replaced the motor in my driver side mirror. When I tried to adjust, there was a lot of whirring going on but not a lot of movement. The whole mirror mechanism can be described with many words - but I don't think "robust" is one of them. In any case, it's working again with the new bits. I was kind of surprised to see that I have heated mirrors. I guess I don't notice any difference in California...

Next project - there are two. First - my PS belt squeals when I blip the throttle and when I turn to full lock. I went to tighten it since I had replaced those belts not long ago, and found that the PS mounting bushings are pretty shot. I guess that I hadn't conquered every last rubber bushing. I ordered new rubber for the PS bracket and urethane parts from IE for the alternator 'while I'm in there.'

Second, on Sunday I'm headed up to Jon's to get my GC coilover kit installed and mount my BBS LMs, then dial in the ride height. I am very excited (and a little bit anxious) to see how the car feels on the new suspension, and whether the GC kit works well without modifying the shock bodies.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I am looking forward to seeing how things work out with the suspension. I didn't want to cut up my strut housings either, but I'm not sure that the H&R race springs are going to be the right solution for me (I bought them years ago, but never installed them, so I'm just rolling with them for now.).

Waiting anxiously too...

Comment

• Today was... frustrating.

Drove up to Jon's so he could help me with the coilover install. Gased up on the way. This was my first outing on the new wheels, unfortunately the weather is awful but this is the car on stock springs and Koni SA struts with the LMs. Wheels are 17x8.5 and 17x9 with 215/40 and 235/40 Direzza ZII Star Spec tires.

I also applied some headlight film that I bought a while ago, I like it the more I look at it.

Jon has also gone with some BBS wheels on his car - 16x8 RS setup

So, we installed the coilover conversion kit. To recap, my goal is a street-friendly suspension setup that lowers the car to close the wheel gap and does not require modification of the stock strut housings. I went to GC with these constraints and they pointed me to this kit.

Up front, the threaded sleeve sits snugly in the original spring seat and the threaded perch goes up and down to adjust your ride height. To start with, we set it as low as possible to ensure that the car could get the drop desired. We did this front and rear.

The directions called for us to trim the stock bumpstop and use the top half, but it has no dust shield... we tried to use the lower half, but the BMW dust shield is bigger than the GC/Eibach spring inner diameter. Jon pulled some old bump stops from his Porsche 993 and hey, they worked. It doesn't look particularly cool but it will keep the strut top seal protected from grime.

The back was straightforward. Again, set to full low as a starting point. So we brought the car down, and...

At the lowest setting possible, the front did not drop at all compared to stock. The rear dropped quite a bit.

So what went wrong? The dust shield on the front shock made a visual confirmation impossible, but based on a test drive and some pinching of the shock shaft it was clear that the car is not riding on the front bump stops. I think the issue is quite simple... I didn't cut up my stock strut housing. In spite of my conversations with GC, something was miscommunicated and I must have gotten the wrong idea in my head that up to 2" of drop was possible with this setup. I'm going to have to go back and check my emails and part numbers to be sure, then probably give GC a call to see what can be done. If I chopped the stock spring seat off and welded on the new shock perch they included with my kit, I'm sure I could get the ride height where I wanted it to be.

We put the rear shock to the highest setting, which looks like so, and I drove home feeling pretty frustrated. Aside from the ride height issue, the springs felt fine, not too different from stock. It has been raining like crazy the last couple of weeks so I won't have sport driving impressions for a little while.

I find myself wishing that I had simply bought H&R sport or race springs and played with a combination of camber plates, spring pad thicknesses, and maybe cut coils to get the car in the right place...
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• In communication with GC now. I reviewed my emails and they did indeed say that -2.2" was possible with this exact setup. Donovan confirmed that I should be able to get more adjustment, so we're working through it. Hopefully there is a happy resolution on the horizon, stay tuned...
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Update - after speaking with GC, they've sent me 1" shorter springs. I also ordered their hybrid camber plates, which are shorter than the OE top hats, to gain more shock travel and of course have the ability to adjust camber. Tomorrow I'll be at Jon's again to swap springs, install the camber plates, and trim down the bumpstops for hopefully the last time. Fingers crossed that I'll get the ride height I'm looking for with adequate shock travel. Look forward to an update...
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• The news is good.

Box of parts from GC to try to recover shock travel and achieve the desired ride height (1" shorter springs and hybrid camber plates)

New vs old

Like-for-like comparison of the factory top mount and the camber plates. Caliper showed ~17.5mm of additional shock travel.

Swapped in the new parts and set ride height to lowest possible as a starting point. Camber set to full negative just to get things going. Hella stance bro, but too low for me. After three rounds of adjustment on the front and rear I came to a ride height that I was happy with (reasonable camber as well):

Hell yes.

Back in the air to actually tighten everything down, then on to the alignment. It was great to witness the process, Jon has a real thing for specialized tools!

You need an old machine for an old car... got my dot-matrix printed report at the end and everything!

150 lbs of sand in each of the front seats, 31 lbs in the trunk, full tank of gas.

The nature of Jon's driveway and garage make it hard to stand back and get a great look at the car, and the sun was gone by the time we finally finished. I'll have to wait for the morning to really lay eyes on the finished product, but I am seriously excited!

Summary of the final setup:
              Starting point: OE suspension, completely refreshed
              Koni single-adjustable shocks
              Front: 8641-1210SPORT
              Rear: 80-2522SP1
              Ground Control 2020.2020.01 coilover conversion kit
              Front: 375 lbs/in, GC 125.64.75 (1" shorter than standard)
              Rear: 475 lbs/in, GC 140.64.83
              Ground Control Touring Camber Plates CCPE30TOURING
              Front ride height: 61cm, floor to top of wheel arch
              Bump stop: trimmed Porsche 993 bump stop, 25mm length, 5-10mm of gentle compression before solid engagement
              Front shock travel at ride height: 50mm excluding bump stop; ~35mm including bump stop. GC recommendation is 1.5", 1.0" minimum.
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Pal,

The car looks great and I can't wait to see more pics. Did you have to roll the fenders ? Any rubbing ? Are the camber plates quiet ? How does the ride and handling feel ?

Chris did a great job with the wheels and now you can appreciate them more with the proper height.

Comment

• Looks great Pal! Wheels fit perfect, really glad I could be a part of this build! You'really going to enjoy the M3 the way it's supposed to be with that suspension now!
                  Need a good mechanic/fabricator/performance shop in SoCal?
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155404

Castro Motorsport

12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
                  North Hollywood, CA 91605
                  (818) 765-3606

The Purple ///Monster Build:
                  http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47251

Comment

• Couldn't be happier with the final result. Went for an aggressive mountain drive this morning, through wet and dry, over all kinds of curves and pavement quality. Didn't bottom out, suspension felt fantastic. The tires have more grip than I'll ever need for the street. No rubbing at full lock, no issues whatsoever! And the car looks absolutely killer. I keep staring out the window at it in the driveway.

Garage queen? Not so much. As an added plus, during my post-drive coffee I met a nice guy named Reuben who has an M3 of his own (along with a killer 964). I hope he joins our meets/events in the future!
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Complete summary of final setup

Starting point: OE suspension, completely refreshed

Struts: Koni single-adjustable
                      Front: 8641-1210SPORT
                      Rear: 80-2522SP1
                      Springs: Ground Control 2020.2020.01 coilover conversion kit
                      Front: 375 lbs/in, GC 125.64.75
                      Rear: 475 lbs/in, GC 140.64.83
                      Camber plates: Ground Control Touring CCPE30TOURING

Wheels/tires: BBS LM built by e30polak (Chris); Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
                      Front: 17x8.5 et23; 215/40R17
                      Rear: 17x9 et25; 235/40R17
                      Ride height: 61cm front, 62cm rear (ground to wheel arch)

Notes: No fender rolling, no modifications to strut housing, no rubbing
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Great to see the improvements and your thought process almost step by step. This is a great guide for future owners
                        Keep it up and enjoy the ride!

My car is on hr race, bilstein sport with shortened bump stops up front, thicker pad on the rear. Gc camber plate ...
                        E36 evo arms and offset bushes... It rubs slightly on full lock on the front, on 215/40r17 ps3 all around...
                        Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
                        e30 M3 1988 US-spec Salmon Silver - s14 now 2.5 L
                        e34 M5 1995 Cosmosblack - S38b38

Comment

• Fitment and drop are PERFECT! So happy for you Pall!
                          Need a good mechanic/fabricator/performance shop in SoCal?
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155404

Castro Motorsport

12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
                          North Hollywood, CA 91605
                          (818) 765-3606

The Purple ///Monster Build:
                          http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47251

Comment

• Thanks guys!

The wheels are amazing... but I grabbed these for a rainy day. Just in case, you know?

1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Found some forged 17x8s to go with the turbines. All of the parts could stand to be refurbished, but it's complete and the wheels came with tires. I'll figure out what spacers I need and run them as-is, alternating with the LMs based on how I'm feeling, until I am motivated to have them re-done.

In other news, I've been too busy designing a car to work on my cars. I don't mind, I'm pretty excited about this one. Another M3 of sorts. I put a deposit down.

1988 Lachs - sold
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• OMG - That is Jon's garage. What a dream. Would have loved to bring beers and help/take up space .

Whats the word on the performance/handling of the 3? Them some funky wheels...

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                                97 Porsche Carrera S
                                13 Audi S6
                                SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                                GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Working...
                                X