No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haha Jon's a lucky man. Performance/handling of the 3 - hard for me to say, I'm a body engineer which means that I'll get to drive one... approximately never. Still haven't even ridden in a Model X
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Seriously. That garage is amazing...

Dude - No way! I figured you guys would at least get up close and get to see the efforts of all the incredible work :(. Assuming you have high expectation based on other models and your deposit.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
      97 Porsche Carrera S
      13 Audi S6
      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

• Konig
        Konig commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's going to be a great car! No, the only engineering cars that the body structure team receives, we smash into walls/poles/etc. There are certainly groups that get a lot more time with cars... well, almost everyone else in the company. Haha

• Played with the turbines today. Rear fitment is solid, but the fronts look tricky.

Will need a spacer up front. Spokes contact the brake clip.

Tires that came on the wheels are 235/40R17, which puts them veeeeery close to the fender at current ride height. A spacer up front would make things worse.

I like what I saw, but it might take a 215 tire up front to make this work without rolling the fenders. I'm happy with the LMs so I'm not going to mess with it right now.
      1988 Lachs - sold
      1988 DS - sold
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Life is busy lately... just a snap from today when I had both cars out.

1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Congrats Pall!

Cars look great. When I was doing a search on S14, I found a post I created where I'm considering a Type-R. Awesome cars!

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
          97 Porsche Carrera S
          13 Audi S6
          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

• Got married three weeks ago, didn't have much time (or budget) for cars. Had an iigomotiv chip on my radar ever since I bought the car, snagged one from NickB recently and had a chance to install today.

After an initial hiccup - turns out you install the chip AND the little PCB adapter it comes with (duh) - I got the chip installed and went for a quick drive. The car runs smoother throughout the rev range and pulls more strongly from 2k and 3k RPM, nice and steady through to redline. Huge improvement for just $200. Here are some snaps:

OE? Beats me.

Correct installation with PCB mid-piece.
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Wow, just read this entire thread. Great work. I am in the process of putting an '89 DS back into top shape as well. I like the idea of not chopping up the front strut tubes.

I am am trying out the H&R race with bilsteins (already installed rear). If they don't go lie enough I will use your specs.

Thank you for detailing your build

i also have two 2002tii's. A 72 numbers matching euro spec and a 74 that I am resto-modding with a built 2.5 S14, etc, etc

Comment

• Great write up and tracking your rebuild process... I had a type R and sold it after owning it for 3 years. Miss it but rather have my M3....=0)

Comment

• I was thinking that the forum has been kind of quiet lately, and realized that I haven't been a good contributor. Not much new with the car... after getting married, we did the next adult thing and bought a house. Moved in this past weekend. The house is nice, but most exciting is the upgrade in the parking situation. Old (rented) house was an extremely narrow 1-car garage with a driveway long enough for two cars parking each other in, and no street parking allowed overnight. New house: deep 2-car garage, big ol' driveway with room for up to 4 if I wanted to really go crazy. Gate to the side yard where I can park another 3 cars in a line, tucked safely behind the fence, and as much street parking as I want.

Here's the M3's new home. I will be developing plans for how to make the garage "mine" in the next few weeks.

Moving in. The Integra is a great cargo hauler.

The result of all of this new-found car storage space is that I am back on CL scouring for the next set of wheels. I miss my '02 and I have been watching for another one to come along and check all the boxes. Stay tuned, I guess...

In addition to all of the moving activities, I am pumped for the Monterey motorsport reunion weekend in a couple weeks' time. My dad is flying out since he's a BMW guy and it's the 100th anniversary. We'll be attending the Legends event on Friday - I will be showing my car, not because I think it's particularly worthy, but because there was a call for E30 M3s - and then spending Saturday and Sunday at the track. It's easily the highlight of the year for me in automotive terms. Send me a PM if you're going to be there and want to meet up!
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I'll just leave this here...

As seen / panned on BringATrailer. This car rocks!
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Preparing for Monterey this weekend. Will be showing the M3 at Legends, hope to meet some S14ers there! Saturday/Sunday I'll be at Laguna in the tii.

1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Nice addition and congrats on the new house...and wife

Comment

• Busy busy with the new old car! Some updates...

I bought ACS replica mirrors. I've always felt like the stock mirrors are a bit too boring for a special car, and the DTM mirrors are a bit too insane for road use, so I went with these. I have to admit, while they look cool, visibility is certainly reduced. I will need some time to see if I can adjust to them. One day I'll have my CF Evo 3 splitter and Evo wing mounted and the little CF touches will all work together in harmony... Until then, it's good that the car is grey and the CF is subtle.

I am not satisfied with the ride comfort with 17" wheels. I love these LMs so much but the car is harsh enough on the road that I do not want to drive it, which is not a good thing. I'm going to try 16s and, if that's still too rough, go back to 15s.

Type R - right now I am planning to sell it. I've had it for a year, it is a source of stress more than a source of satisfaction.

The 2002tii... so glad I bought this car. I am collecting parts here and there to improve it. The body is too much effort for now so I'm going to work on the interior. If you've never driven one of these (any neue klasse car), you should if you have the opportunity. So much fun! Never a dull moment. Last night I was shifting from 3 > 4 on the highway when the entire shift selector rod decided to pop out in my hand. While going 55mph down the 101. So I flailed it around, coasting, wondering when to start heading to the shoulder, when I managed to jam it back down and engage gear. Limped home. Shifter rebuild on the agenda I think.

The face of a killer

My Thursday was made more exciting a couple weeks ago by a surprise opportunity to take home a Model X. I designed (part) of the damn car and before that day I'd never driven one. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds in an SUV is an insane thing. If I were rich, this would be my daily. Quiet, luxurious, capable of smoking anything from a stop light. Drove itself 10 miles on the highway on my commute. Sometimes I'm too close to the product and focus only on my perceived shortcomings that, in the end, don't really matter from the customer perspective. It was really nice to remind myself why I put in the long hours at this company. I'm excited about the Model 3 I've got on order.

1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Love this thread, I appreciate your attention to detail and photos. Keep up the great work!

Side note, that's the first Model X that has looked good to me - must be the wheels and color. I too reserved a Model 3 and am looking forward to it for commuting.
                            '88 BMW M3 Henna/Black - Project Thread
                            '87 Saab Airflow convertible - 335whp/330ft-lbs March 2010 Eurotuner Magazine Feature Car

Comment

• Konig
                              Konig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The X is one of those cars that looks either really good or really frumpy based entirely on wheels and color. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!

• Jon loaned me his RS set in 16x8, 225 Star Specs (same tire as my LMs). They don't look as good, but the ride quality is definitely better. I'll putter around for another couple of weeks, but at this point I'm definitely feeling that I will step down from the 17s. Maybe I'll join the line of all people interested in 16" Nogaro wheels.

1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                            X