Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konig
    replied
    Three and a half years later, it's time to bring this thread to a close. On Tuesday I loaded the car up for shipment to its new owner in Michigan.

It's been a great journey with the car, and it's amazing the people I've met and the lessons I've learned in my time with it. The departure was made easier by the fact that I'm not leaving the community - I still have the Lachs car. But this is the one that got me started.

I'm not going anywhere, and if anything now I have more bandwidth to keep pushing on the Lachs car. Feel free to post in this thread if it's useful for any reason. I'll pick up posting over in the "10 years parked" thread, which is also linked in my signature.

Fare well, friend.

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    The car is sold! I'm excited for the new owner, who will continue enjoying this car in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    My journey with this car is coming to an end. I've listed it for sale, please contact me if you're interested.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ack-139k-miles

I've had a great time with the car and learned an enormous amount.

Leave a comment:

• BMG
    replied
    Ripe for an S14 conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    A while back I signed up with BaT as a photographer-for-hire in the bay area. This week I got my first hit and jumped at the chance to photograph an extremely nice '74 2002tii with Turbo bodywork and an M20 swap. I really enjoyed meeting the owner and, since my tii's battery is dead as a door nail, I took the M3. Here's a nice photo of the cars together.

I think the tii will be listed in a couple weeks' time. Keep an eye out for it!

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Update: the clutch issue has been solved.

After going through every possible thing, sometimes twice, it was the pressure plate. I don't know if I got a dud unit, or a bad production batch, but my pressure plate was not right. Super frustrating that I pay full price for an "OE quality" clutch kit - critical part a job that takes a lot of time and/or money to do - and it's flawed out of the box. And then I spend nearly 2 years tearing my hair out over it.

Original install was the Sachs OE replacement piece. I swapped in a Sachs performance clutch, because I was gun-shy about buying the same thing again that had already failed me once. It's heavier, but still fine.

Now I can enjoy driving the car again!

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Dug my old friend out of the garage for the first time since the start of December. Got busy with the holidays, and then with the 'new' car, then various life things. First was to wash off the months of dust from the garage.

My car was happy to get back on the road! I'd almost forgotten how much fun it is to hustle around. I went up to regional landmark Alice's Restaurant to drive the windy roads with a friend. As usual, there was an assortment of exciting vehicles when we arrived.

Didn't get much in the way of action shots. It was a nice reminder of how perfect this car is in third gear on the back roads. Ergonomics are so perfect for heel-toe. Also a nice reminder of how lucky I am that just 45 minutes after getting off my couch, I can be speeding through redwood groves then up PCH and the incredible ocean views.

Totally unrelated: a friend recently bought his dream car. He let me drive it. I have a new benchmark for fastest/most expensive thing I've driven.

I could write a bunch of superlatives, but essentially it was exactly what you would expect. Extremely loud and fast, awesome chopped composite and wings and alcantara and the whole 9 yards. Actual capability of the car is so far beyond my skill level, but just the taste of it was a special experience. Perhaps my favorite element was the sound of the motor paired with the transmission. Instant shifts, and every downshift comes with a BANG that I am confident that the cyclists and pedestrians I passed at the time really appreciated. My friend seems to be really enjoying it, he had it at Laguna Seca last weekend and it's nice to see that he's actually putting all that motorsport hardware to use. The track insurance quotes were eye-watering for me, but if you have the means...

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve88M3 View Post
    I smell an M2 build...
    Haha. I can't tear the heart out of a perfectly good M3!

Leave a comment:

• Steve88M3
    replied
    I smell an M2 build...

Leave a comment:

• GG///M3
    replied
    So much awesome

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    I am now the owner of two '88 M3s. I've started a new thread to track the progress on the car here:

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...rrecting-an-88

Barring any unforeseen developments with the 'new' car, this means that I will be putting my DS car up for sale in 2018. I haven't yet put thought into what, when, or how, but I will keep this thread updated with any and all progress with the car.

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    No news on my M3 to report, I haven't touched it since my last attempt at bleeding the slave. I have been busy, however, with other things.

A few weekends ago we had a "not your E30 M3" meet with the local crew in Portola Valley. As the name suggests, the idea was to bring some other cool member of your garage for everyone to check out and maybe try something new. Carlos almost messed up, bringing his incredible Techno Violet Dinan E36. I let everyone have a go in the RS. Jon was kind enough to let me drive his 993, which was actually my first 911 experience ever. It was unlike anything else I've driven - tons of interesting tactile sensations and feedback, I got the sense that it would take a lot of seat time and patience to become adept driving it quickly. I also felt like it would be extremely rewarding when you got to that point. The brake pedal felt very much like the GT4's, which was interesting to note.

I've been puttering around in the RS to work, it's been fabulous and I have no complaints. It is not as raw as our beloved BMWs, but I'm not sure very many modern cars are anymore. I don't mind having torque either.

Two Saturdays ago was one of my very favorite car events, the "not the 49 mile scenic drive" tour for BMW 2002s. It's a rally run in San Francisco - the route changes every year, but all the cars start from Ocean Beach and zig-zag across the city, taking routes off the beaten path. Each car receives a printout of turn-by-turn directions with some photos of landmarks, which you try to label in correct sequence of when they're encountered. A good co-driver is key, as they need to feed you directions and keep an eye out for the landmarks. This year we had incredible weather and some really sharp 02s. The brass rat was up to the task, if a bit fume-y, and we got some nice photos atop Twin Peaks.

My wife joined the M3 family on Saturday - not a BMW M3, but a Tesla Model 3. She's referring to it as her "spaceship" and enjoying EV life after 14 years driving around in a Chevy Blazer. I know some of you may have a deposit in for one... sit tight, it's a great car! If you're in the Bay Area send me a note and I'm sure my wife will be happy to take you for a spin. It's hard to believe that this car I've been staring at in CAD and designing for 2.5 years is sitting in our driveway.

There is one other interesting thing cooking that I hope to share with everyone in a few days, but I won't explain until it's a done deal. Happy holidays!

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant's m3 View Post
    Hey, have you changed your clutch master yet?

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Driveline...xoCXYcQAvD_BwE
    Yes, twice. Went OE-equivalent brand the first time and it was defective, then shelled out for BMW official.

Leave a comment:

• Ant's m3
    replied
    Hey, have you changed your clutch master yet?

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Driveline...xoCXYcQAvD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• Konig
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve88M3 View Post
    How did this turn out in the end?
    We havenít yet reached the end. Well, not the end of the problem, but pretty close to the end of my patience...

Checked the pedal linkage, didnít measure the adjustment spring (canít find a spec or guidance in the service manual) but nothing looked out of place. Eccentric bolt was out of position so I fixed that, but no discernible improvements.

Read many threads about how best to bleed the clutch - pull the slave out of the transmission, turn it this way and that, work the piston by hand, use a pressure bleeder. I learned that pressure bleeder and ďpump it by handĒ donít work well together, so I inverted the guts of my new BMW slave unit and Iím not sure that I can fix it. So, word to the wise... donít do that.

The outgoing slave unit looked fine, and I had to put it back in anyway, bled it, didnít do a good job, worse than before. Will have to bleed yet again, either myself or take it to someone more competent than myself.

Feeling pretty discouraged at this point, so Iíve set the car aside for a while and will come back to it in the new year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X