Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild time. The nut and bolt financial ruin thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely nice attention to detail Brian. Is it all back together now?
    Toby

E30 87 - S14 Turbo
    E34 90 - M5

New BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

sigpic

Comment

Sadly not. Just as I got going, I decided what I really needed was to buy a car that was know for its unreliability from new , and that buying it blind 18 years later on eBay was a sensible thing. So I now have a BMW era Range Rover V8 that sucks money from my wallet and needs repairing at the weekend.
      I have done a few more bits to the M3 and now thinking about who to do the body. Once that is done, a lot of the parts are all done. The engine block, crank and pistons are untouched, but everything else is read to bolt on to a refreshed shell.
      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
        Sadly not. Just as I got going, I decided what I really needed was to buy a car that was know for its unreliability from new , and that buying it blind 18 years later on eBay was a sensible thing. So I now have a BMW era Range Rover V8 that sucks money from my wallet and needs repairing at the weekend.
        I have done a few more bits to the M3 and now thinking about who to do the body. Once that is done, a lot of the parts are all done. The engine block, crank and pistons are untouched, but everything else is read to bolt on to a refreshed shell.
        In the USA there is a radio show hosted by a guy who used to own multiple different auto dealerships. Now he provides "unbiased" advice on auto purchases, which cars he likes, which he doesn't etc. I consider him very knowledgeable and full of good advice.

Last time I heard the show, he was going on and on about how much he loves Range Rovers, I think he said he has owned 14 of them over the years. He finished by re-stating how great they were, but added "just make sure you get rid of them before 50,000 miles".

Get rid of them before 50,000 miles? WTF? How can he consider that a great car?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

In the USA there is a radio show hosted by a guy who used to own multiple different auto dealerships. Now he provides "unbiased" advice on auto purchases, which cars he likes, which he doesn't etc. I consider him very knowledgeable and full of good advice.

Last time I heard the show, he was going on and on about how much he loves Range Rovers, I think he said he has owned 14 of them over the years. He finished by re-stating how great they were, but added "just make sure you get rid of them before 50,000 miles".

Get rid of them before 50,000 miles? WTF? How can he consider that a great car?
          There is something about them that has that 'want' factor . Like an old Austin Healey 3000 or a 1959 Triumph Bonneville, they seduce you on looks, style and feelgood , then leave you at the side of the road. That said, on this era Range Rover it's not Lucas getting the blame , but the ZF auto box ( the supposed sealed for life type ) thats unlikely to get to 100K ,and a BMW engine where half the timing chain guide will be in the sump pan.

The radio host guy is correct in a way, you'd probably want to get out of it early to avoid big bills late on. I'm not totally sure the same doesn't apply to equivalent Merc, Audi and BMWs though.

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
            I'm not totally sure the same doesn't apply to equivalent Merc, Audi and BMWs though.
            He does indeed say precisely the same thing about BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Great cars, fun to drive, just make sure you get rid of them before the warranty is expired.

I drive a lot of miles every year, so I wouldn't even consider cars in that category. My last car, a Subaru Outback, had the transmission go out at 186K miles, even that I considered to be too soon for a major problem.

So I'm done with Subaru and now drive a Toyota Tacoma, largely because they are reputed to be impossible to kill and 300+K miles on them without major repair is supposedly the norm. We will see.

Comment

• Konig
              Konig commented
              Editing a comment
              New cars are packed with ECUs, motors, and controllers. Packaging is so aggressive that many items get buried and service costs increase with the increased complexity. I'm not brave enough to own a modern luxury car out of warranty, when even a minor failure starts the bill at 4 figures.

• Ironhead
              Ironhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Lexus, if I wanted a luxury car. Their reliability and quality control is basically as good as it gets.

I think when Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura came onto the scene, the German manufacturers had no choice but to downgrade the quality of their cars in order to remain price competitive with the high end Japanese hardware. This is particularly true of Mercedes. Mercedes cars of the 1960s and 70s were extremely well made and lasted practically forever. The cars made by Mercedes of today are not in the same league as the older stuff IMHO, in terms of build quality and longevity.

Here's what about $2700 of old Range Rover looks like. Note the car body in the garage lurking under the cover.

20190512_171939 by E30M3powered M3, on Flickr

20190512_172143 by E30M3powered M3, on Flickr

20190512_172042 by E30M3powered M3, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X