'88 DS - progress thread [continuation]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 DS - progress thread [continuation]

Hi guys, I'm starting a new thread to track the progress of my '88 DS. You may have been following along with my previous thread, titled 'Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS.'
    https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...0-for-an-88-ds

I would really prefer to have everything in one place, but when I post in that thread I get a combination of three weird errors:

1. When I post a new reply, I immediately get an error and the thread falls over. I refresh the page and the new reply is there. This is how I've been posting in my thread for at least a year now.
    2. When I post a new reply, the thread is not bumped to the top of the Galleries subforum. It does kick up in the New Posts area. I feel like the lack of a bump prevents people from seeing that I've added new content and really reduces the feedback I receive, which is a big reason I share everything I'm up to...
    3. Starting two days ago - when I go to subimt a new reply, I get an "Invalid node id specified" error and I cannot post in my thread. Issues 1 and 2 were workable if not ideal, but at this point in time I am unable to post in my thread so I have no choice but to start anew. I have no issues posting in other threads, including those that I've started, or any other site functionality... it's just this one thread.

I've asked for help but haven't heard back, so I think it is best to start a fresh thread and hope this one doesn't have the same issues. If it's possible to get my first thread working properly again I will reboot it and consolidate everything once more.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

My power steering adjuster was slipping on the toothed bracket. Turns out this little damage can render the whole thing useless... I don't know why BMW used such poor designs for the alternator and PS mounts.

New stuff. Despite being almost the exact same thing as the alternator bracket, this one is thankfully not $100.

I met up with Kevin today so that he could drive my car and see if he liked the Ground Control setup on the road. He let me chase in his car, which I must say has been more loved over its life than mine has. To be fair it has 50k fewer miles, but his car felt tight and solid. No squeaks or rattles like my car... and his clutch and shifter felt far better than my stuff. A few posts ago I said that my clutch finally feels like it should - scratch that, it's still wrong. :-(

In any case, we were halfway through the drive before he reminded me that he had a carbon airbox and Alpha-N! He was kind enough to let me wind it out a few times and enjoy the sound. One day I'll go in a similar direction. I'm usually good about photos but I dropped the ball and just got this one:

Tonight I hopped in my car to grab takeout and after a couple minutes on the highway my coolant level warning came on and the temperature started to creep up. I made it to the strip mall without getting too warm, but steam was billowing out as I came to a stop. I found the source of my problem in the jet of steam coming from the upper radiator hose. The rubber finally gave way on the front edge, near the bend.

I popped into the CVS there and picked up more coolant and tape to limp home. I made it back at normal temperatures, but the smoke show when I parked means that the tape didn't hold up. I guess it makes sense that all other hoses are of the same vintage and I should go through the cooling system... for now, a new hose was installed.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Hey, if im not mistaken you installed the ground control coilovers that required no cutting? How was your buddies feed back? Also, good call on the tape haha I installed a 318 temp switch to keep the car in check sooner than the regualr temp the aux fan is supposed to kick on. Also serves me as a attention getter if i here it activate too often. I found my water pump leak because of it.

Btw thread bump or not on your old thread, i visit it regularly lol.
      sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Ant's m3 View Post
        Hey, if im not mistaken you installed the ground control coilovers that required no cutting? How was your buddies feed back? Also, good call on the tape haha I installed a 318 temp switch to keep the car in check sooner than the regualr temp the aux fan is supposed to kick on. Also serves me as a attention getter if i here it activate too often. I found my water pump leak because of it.

Btw thread bump or not on your old thread, i visit it regularly lol.
        Yes, I did the GC coilovers without cutting the stock housings. I've been happy with them - I do sometimes run out of shock travel on the gnarliest bumps, but for sporty street use I think they do the job well. Comparable to stock in comfort with better ride height. Kevin can comment on his impressions but I believe driving my car helped affirm his decision to go the same route.
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Would this help out? http://www.massivebrakes.com/accesso...llCenterSpacer

I cant figure in my head if this would raise the suspension at the moment, multi tasking at work.
          sigpic 95 M3 & 88 M3

Comment

Strange, I got weird errors when trying to view your last thread as well. Something always went haywire in the thread subscriptions link. Anyway, subscribed! Love to see your progress.
            '88 BMW M3 Henna/Black - Project Thread
            '87 Saab Airflow convertible - 335whp/330ft-lbs March 2010 Eurotuner Magazine Feature Car

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
              Strange, I got weird errors when trying to view your last thread as well. Something always went haywire in the thread subscriptions link. Anyway, subscribed! Love to see your progress.
              Thanks! Yeah, it really was just a cursed thread or something. Another weird forum thing - I don't know if anyone else is the same way - but every thread on the forum loads on one page for me, even though at the bottom it has links for however many pages there are supposed to be. In the age of fast internet it's not such a big deal but it takes a long time to scroll all the way down...
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

A couple of small victories this weekend. I got started on my quest to sort out my front end lighting issues. First up: RH high beam used to work but no longer does. Issue: dirty contacts on the fuse. Second: LH front/side running light doesn't work. Issue: turns out you need a bulb to emit light. I sourced some bulbs for my smileys' city lights and will go in next weekend to wire them in and clean up the weird wiring that a previous owner did when fitting these lights.

My ABS doesn't work and the cluster light doesn't work either. I pulled the relay from under the dash and opened it up. The little fuse had blown, apparently this is a common issue when the car is jumped (and mine has been a few times). New relay is on the way. My brake warning lamp is on and my hardware looks tired so I also ordered a set of Zimmerman rotors and Cool Carbon pads. Anything that retains current performance and produces less dust will be a win in my book.

In other news, I organized my company's employee car meet on Saturday. It went well and the M3 received compliments. It's always fun to see what people do with their stock options...

1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Hi,
                  Your M3 is looking good what type and size are the wheels they look good and fill out the guards nicely.
                  Good find on the ABS relay, another one of those things to tuck away in the memory bank.
                  Is there any sort of self test to look out for I must admit it is one of those things I have not payed attention to.

E30 M3 1987
                  Mini Clubman GT
                  BMW E36 323 Msport
                  Toyota Corona
                  KTM 200EXC
                  Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
                    Hi,
                    Your M3 is looking good what type and size are the wheels they look good and fill out the guards nicely.
                    Good find on the ABS relay, another one of those things to tuck away in the memory bank.
                    Is there any sort of self test to look out for I must admit it is one of those things I have not payed attention to.
                    Thank you - wheels are BBS RX223 in 16x8, ET15. Tires are 225/45R16 Direzza Star Spec. Suspension summary is here from my previous thread (wheels are different now but all else same):
                    https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...71#post1239071

If your ABS works then nothing to look out for - I haven't confirmed that this is my issue but it's the easiest place to start and appears to be a common source of problems with the system. I will definitely report back when I've got it fixed up.
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Picked up one of the fabled Gustave brackets and installed the Magnecor 8.5mm wires to go with it. Can't say that I noticed any different behind the wheel, wasn't expecting one anyway. I've never been a fan of how the OE plug wires and smushed and kinked through the plastic harness, and I had torn one of my boots pulling them it off the plug in the past.

For routing I followed the image on Gustave's (archived) website.

Next task is headlamp wiring, still waiting on a couple of connectors.
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Great thread! Keep posting..

Where did you pick up Gustave's bracket setup? Not as tidy looking but much better engineering.

Im working on my DS too right now... odds and ends..

The more I do, the more I find needs doing!!!

Comment

Split_S, it never ends! By the time you finish the car the end you started on needs attention again.

Updates:
                          • drove a couple of other M3s and confirmed that my clutch and shifter are wonky, don't know much beyond that
                          • just fitted new brake discs and pads. Went with Cool Carbon pads, if they deliver comparable performance to the OE pads I had in there with less brake dust that's a win.
                          • I'm in the process of re-wiring my headlamps to achieve the following:
                            • clean up wiring (had ~2ft of spare wiring leads to the ellipsoids)
                            • wire in the city lights to the running lights
                            • install a relay to keep the low beam on when the high beams are activated.
                          For that last bit, I know the popular route is to bridge the relays but that seemed a bit janky. I'm following the method that Jon used on his car, a relay (mounted nicely to the hole for the headlamp wipers) to manage light activation.

Left side is done, right side tomorrow. Then I can go and try to find some place to bed in my new pads without being too much of a nuisance.

Other non-M3 updates:
                          • I am selling my Type R. If you are interested, read about it here and send me a PM.
                          • I am in the market for another Japanese legend. Will update if/when it works out.
                          • Next weekend I'm flying home to Atlanta to drive up to Asheville, NC for the Vintage with my pops and his 2002. I'll keep an eye out for E30Ms.
                          1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Hey Konig,
                            I have Cool Carbon pads on my M3. You will still get carbon dust unfortunately but it's about 60-70% less than stock. Good but not as good as they advertise. I have the original basket weaves so cleaning them is a bit of a chore. Of course I get my son to do them but still.... hehe

Can you let me know where you got Gustave's wiring kit?

Comment

• Konig
                              Konig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I purchased it from a member here in the classifieds section. Thanks for the report on the brakes, 60-70% sounds nice. Cleaning was one of the reasons I was most excited to move away from the stock wheels! I see BBS RSs and I shudder. 45 minutes to wash the wheels and 20 minutes for the entire car...

Note - my old build thread has been repaired and I am going to revert to posting my updates there. Link is in my sig. Follow along if you like!
                            1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                            X