Finally Refinshed my BBS RS Wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Refinshed my BBS RS Wheels

It took some time to figure this out but after spending the last year trying to find a shop to refinish my bbs wheels I decided to tackle them myself. Local shops didn't want anything to do with the hand labour involved to restore these classics so after may forum reads & youtube tutorials I went about it on my own. My wheels had a clear coat that was starting to crack and peel which was also causing some corrosion so they were starting to look tired. I wanted something different and more subdued from the usual polished lip so after a lot of trial and error I managed to to hand sand them to a brushed satin look and had them powder coated clear for protection. I was also able to reuse the original bbs bolts by soaking them in vinegar to remove the clear & grime and then tossing them in a bullet case tumbler for a few days. When done they came out looking new. Centres were painted & gloss cleared and I'm loving the results. I was doing a photoshoot for a client last week where we used my car so was able to take some pics. Let me know what you guys think.

cheers

'89 M3
    '11 1M
    '12 MINI JCW
    '89 325i (Chumpcar)
    www.electricpixel.ca

Absolutely perfect!!!
    mike

Comment

Looks great. Much better than the bling abuse they are so often victim of.
      1988 M3
      2012 335is
      1993 Civic Si

Comment

wow thats very clean

Comment

Great work! The satin look suits the car well.

May I ask what grit you used for the lip? I have a set sitting in the garage that need to be rebuilt.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I started with 400 as I had some black corosion. I believe the last grit I used was around 1000. To get the sanding grain to look even I took it to a friend's tire shop and we mounted the lip on the tire machine, spun the lip while holding the sandpaper against the lip. This resulted in a nice clean and even directional grain. It's pretty much impossible to get the grain perfect by hand.
            '89 M3
            '11 1M
            '12 MINI JCW
            '89 325i (Chumpcar)
            www.electricpixel.ca

Comment

Working...
            X