No announcement yet.

10 years parked: resurrecting an '88

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great find! I have a stock exhaust with known good cat that will pass smog. I was saving it to lend to NorCal folks who are having issues passing the sniff test either due to bad cats or due to having catless or race exhaust. Either way let me know if you need it.
    --------------------------------------
    The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
    sigpic

Comment

• Konig
      Konig commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a very generous offer, thank you. I will definitely be in touch if I need to go that route.

Some more progress over the past few days. I managed to liberate the center section, only had to cut one bolt! With it off the car I was able to admire the incredible welding work:

Enhance!

Hope you weren't eating. I don't know what it is with exhausts on these cars, when I got my DS car it also had an egregious fake dual exhaust tip. I have a bit of a puzzle to solve regarding the muffler joint, I purchased OE clamps but with the current configuration (center section piping nests inside muffler piping), the muffler pipe diameter is too large to work. Will have to brainstorm.

After buying and trying two different tools, I managed to get the stock chain tensioner out and replace it with an S50 unit. The winning device ended up being a stubby adjustable wrench, a deep 32mm socket was too long and smacked all the A/C hoses and nonsense. Shout-out to the gorilla who installed this thing, I nearly broke my knuckle punching the block when it finally broke free.

With that done, I reassembled everything affiliated with the valvetrain work and reinstalled the valve cover, so that half of the motor is done. My accessory drive belts were all tired and stretched-out, so I've replaced those. For the A/C belt I had to order a second one, the outgoing was 13x810mm but the replacement of same size was simply too tight. A 13x825mm is on the way. I noted that all of the associated bushings are clapped out, I picked up a few for the power steering pump to get my Pelican order over $100 and earn free shipping, the others I will get to in time. The P/S ones are the hardest to get to so I'll tackle those with the intake components out of the way.

Other bits and bobs... swapped the weird Momo shifter that came with the car out for a BMW piece that originally came on my DS car. Swapped the door handles out with used good ones, as the ones on the car were painted body color.

I am waiting to get my injectors back from VAC this week, and also for the intake blocks, when those arrive I can put everything back together.
    1988 Lachs
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Injectors and intake blocks came in today, intake will go back together this weekend.

VAC did a really nice job with the packaging and summary report.
      1988 Lachs
      1988 DS - sold
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

That looks like a supersprint resonator with the X pipe cut out and cat welded in. Ha!

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Was feeling under the weather this weekend, so unfortunately I didn't make as much progress as I hoped for on the car.

Bought a huge O-ring assortment from BelMetric. Here are the generic O-ring sizes for the connector block between the throttle bodies:

10.78 x 2.62mm (where did this sizing convention come from...?)

I went to the local pick-n-pull to see if I could get some stock mirrors and a bit of A-pillar sheetmetal to help me with my rust situation. One car had been on the lot for about 10 days, the other for maybe 20.

Both appear to have been rolled. There was absolutely nothing to be salvaged from these cars... mirrors long gone, A-pillars bent, everything of value absent. I have a feeling you need to be there day 1 when an e30 shows up in the yard. To avoid leaving empty-handed I scavenged various bolts and fasteners.

Upon further thought I don't think normal e30 A-pillar sheetmetal is going to work for me (longer flange for windshield bonding), so if anyone reading has some M3 A-pillars or can point me in the right direction please let me know. In positive news, I have secured an M3 cowl from Markus in Germany that is somewhere between California and Germany.
          1988 Lachs
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Pall, Might want / need to order the A pillar metal from Markus. Should have combined shipping with your cowl. #6 shows still available in the European market.
            1988 BMW M3
            1986 Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth
            1971 BMW 2800cs
            1953 Citroen Traction Avant 11b

Comment

• Konig
              Konig commented
              Editing a comment
              Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry guys, haven't touched the car in something like three weeks. Hoping to get it back into running shape this weekend if I can find the time. I have, though, managed to collect all the sheetmetal I should need around the windshield:

M3 cowl - from Markus in Germany, a week before they were made available again in the US... dang
            E30 A-pillar outer LH - there is no M3-specific piece, but it's NLA, so I found one on eBay in Florida
            E30 A-pillar outer RH - also NLA, had to get this one from eBay in Cairo (!)
            M3 A-pillar inner LH - available and purchased new from dealer
            M3 A-pillar inner RH - NLA, so I purchased a standard E30 piece from the dealer. Fabricator will have to extend the flange manually.

Hopefully I've got an update by the other side of this weekend.
            1988 Lachs
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Sheetmetal has been assembled. As mentioned in my last post, the RH A-pillar inner is a standard E30 piece so the flange will need to be extended a few mm for correct windshield bonding surface.

Having some trouble re-assembling my intake, the two castings are not keen to fit back together. It feels like the O-rings on the vacuum junction block are not finding "home" and seating as they should. I will try to massage it further, but if there are any obvious things that may be causing this please let me know.
              1988 Lachs
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

do you have the part numbers for those external A pillars? Can't seem to locate them on realoem.
                Did you confirm that it's the same part on all e30's?
                Sucks that they're so hard to find...

Comment

Just interested did the new cowl come with your chassi number stamped on it, I do recall that was what used to be the case when ordering one from BMW.

E30 M3 1987
                  Mini Clubman GT
                  BMW E36 323 Msport
                  Toyota Corona
                  KTM 200EXC
                  Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
                    Just interested did the new cowl come with your chassi number stamped on it, I do recall that was what used to be the case when ordering one from BMW.
                    It did not, it is blank.
                    1988 Lachs
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Friends, it has been too long. My enthusiasm (and free time) come and go in waves. The car has been sitting, not doing much of anything, for the last few months. Some of that is because I changed jobs and associated routines.

At this point, the car is nearly back "together" (mechanically, driveable). The only thing holding me back is the exhaust system. Here's my situation:

The piping on the new center section is about 48mm diameter. That piece came with new sleeve clamps of the type shown. The piping on the muffler is 49mm, and is designed to slip over the center section then tighten with a screw through the welded-on threaded bosses. Note: you can see on the nearer of the muffler pipes that I had to cut the center section to break everything free, and somehow that cylinder of material is still frozen in place. Ignore that.

The issue: the muffler piping is not large enough to slip over the center section piping. They're too close in size. The sleeve clamp is not large enough to go over the muffler section (and can't with those bosses present)

Options I see, as someone who doesn't have a ton of knowledge on exhaust solutions:

1. Have a shop flair the piping of the muffler to a size that sleeves over the center section. Use the original threaded bosses, disregard the sleeve clamps.
                      2. Have a shop cut ~3" off the straight bit of the muffler piping, and replace it with very-very-slightly smaller diameter, preferably 48mm, to match the center section. Use sleeve clamps.
                      3. ??? Some other type of clamp or joint?

Right now I'm leaning toward option 2. This allows me to use the sleeve clamps, which seem more robust than the threaded boss clamp deal currently on the muffler.

Thoughts?
                      1988 Lachs
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Heating the muffler end with a torch and some dry ice on the center section?

Comment

Originally posted by ttw18 View Post
                          Heating the muffler end with a torch and some dry ice on the center section?
                          I like where your head's at, but I'm going to let the muffler shop do the work for me. A friend advised me to flare the muffler pipe so that the center section will slide in, so that's my plan for now.
                          1988 Lachs
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Visited the muffler shop this week, ended up chopping the end off the muffler (with the little threaded bosses) and muscling the clamps to fit. Guy at the shop didn't think he could expand the muffler pipes for a slip-in fit without cracking them. I didn't take any material off the center section - I'm not sure if I will be keeping this muffler - so the exhaust assembly is a bit longer than it should be, but it's fine for now. Got everything bolted back up, checked all my hoses/plugs, turned the motor over by hand a couple times to put my mind at ease. Crossed fingers. Cranked.

There's a fuel leak between my pump and my filter, so a new hose has been ordered. Besides that, it seems fine! Didn't detect any other leaks/noises/issues. I'll be really happy if I get that result first try considering all the items I touched.

Once the new hose comes in I should be able to take the car down off the jack stands it's been sitting on for many months and work on finding a paint shop to take it.
                            1988 Lachs
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                            X