10 years parked: resurrecting an '88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should change the title of this thread to "10.5 years parked." :-(

Work took me out of town for a while, and then I've just been busy busy busy. I found time recently to swap in a new hose between the fuel pump and filter.

Car back on its feet for the first time in 6 months.

I drove around my neighborhood, wind in my face, and everything feels sharp. Steering, suspension, motor, clutch, transmission, it runs as well as it looks terrible. The only issue was that the motor was running on the warm side, between 1/2 and 3/4 marks while moving (3rd gear, 25-30 mph). The car is not roadworthy, but I did sneak a couple quick runs down the street between my neighborhood entrances. This let me wind it out to redline in 2nd gear, and a bit of the way through 3rd. Felt strong!

Got some gas. In a great coincidence, the one time I'm driving an incredibly un-roadworthy car is the same time that there is a police officer driving down my street as I'm heading home. I just put on a big idiot smile and waved, he didn't seem to mind...

The good and the bad: healthy motor, unhealthy sheetmetal.

So here I am with a car that drives extremely well, but needs a lot of work. I'm on the fence about whether to keep it or let it go. That the car has sat idle for 6 months scares me, because it makes me feel that I don't have time for a project of this magnitude. Part of my brain is telling me to sell this and find something that is done and ready to drive. However, a "sorted driver" is a difficult thing to find at a price that doesn't make my eyes water. I'm going to have to do some soul-searching.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

nice work so far. Glad I stumbled upon this thread!
      @slowprogress

Comment

Wow ! Very nice documentation !

Hope you come to a conclusion that you're happy with......but...I'd really like to see you keep it !!

Comment

I spent the last few free weekends working on the DS car, getting it ready for a new owner. Today I did a compression test on the Lachs car and got good numbers.

I believe this gauge reads high - it did for my DS car the last time I used it - but the numbers are consistent, which is encouraging. Test was done with the car warm, throttle open, four cranks.

210, 217, 210, 218

I took the car around the block as I do every now and then, the temperature gauge parks itself around 5/8 while puttering around at 25-30 in third gear, then cilmbs to 3/4 when I get on it for a few seconds. Otherwise everything works great. I've got a paint shop tentatively lined up that will probably be ready for me in the next couple of months. Still conflicted on whether to keep it.
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Konig View Post
            Part of my brain is telling me to sell this and find something that is done and ready to drive. However, a "sorted driver" is a difficult thing to find at a price that doesn't make my eyes water. I'm going to have to do some soul-searching.
            I love the new build! I am confused by this statement, however. Didn't your car that just sold exist as a "sorted driver"? I ask because I too find myself in the disarray of "I finished this car, so now what is my next project?" It's funny, it's almost as if we enjoy the journey more than enjoying the cars after they've been completed.

Good luck with the car!

Comment

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progress of your project.

Comment

Gang, I've decided to sell the car. It is more project than I can handle right now. I'm asking $27.5 OBO with windshield glass and the cowl sheetmetal, please message me if interested. Way more information available in my FS thread here:

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ack-133k-miles

It's time for someone with more bandwidth to carry the torch and make it into whatever they want!
                1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

The car sold and shipped out this morning. It's going to a local friend of mine, who will rebuild it over the next couple of years.

With this sale, I'm without an M3 for the first time in about five years (E90 first, then my DS car, and then this Lachs car). As a result I won't be active on the forum, which is a sad thing. I'm not out of BMWs completely - I still have my ratty 2002tii - but I'm moving into a different space to try something new.

Here's the car as it loaded up and left today:

It is disappointing that the car left in a very similar state to the way it arrived at my garage, 1.25 years later. Being honest with myself, I learned that this kind of project isn't for me right now. Growing up I always expected to be the guy turning wrenches under my cars every night, but as a so-called grown-up I've found that my wife likes seeing my face, and sometimes after work I just want to relax, and there isn't ever as much free time as you think.

I have met fabulous people in the E30 M3 community. The local owners I met were all extremely friendly and helpful, and knowledgeable too - seems like everyone liked getting their hands dirty and sharing whatever tips and tricks they picked up along the way. With my two "build" threads I tried my best to pay it forward, to document and contribute where I could in the hopes that it would save someone else when they're in a pinch. We had meets, drives, and I've made lifelong friends thanks to these boxy old cars. Even after I started to fall out of love with my M3s, I tried to stick it out and see them through because I enjoyed the S14 community so much. It has been difficult to leave. (Also, I have a load of M3 paraphernalia that will now look kind of silly - posters, scale models, apparel, etc)

I mentioned earlier that I was moving into a different space, trying something new. If you've followed my threads you probably have a good guess about what that is. There was an itch I needed to scratch, so after two years of shopping, I scratched it.

That's right: I sold my boxy-fendered late-80s-early-90s homologation race car to buy... a boxy-fendered late-80s-early-90s homologation race car. 1992 Skyline GT-R, 47k miles, CA-legal, third owner. Picked it up a couple weekends ago from LA and drove it home to the bay area. It is absolutely fantastic to drive.

It's been said many times: the best part of most hobbies is the friends you make. Thanks to the good ol' internet I've been lucky to spend time on this forum and make some online friends, even if I never saw your faces. I bought and sold a lot of parts here and had only excellent experiences. I received guidance and support and for that, I thank you all.

I'm not gone for good - I will pop in every now and then to see how things are going, and maybe I'll be back if the right opportunity comes along. If you see a red GT-R in northern California, or a busted-up Ceylon tii, give me a wave! Though, I'll definitely wave at you first.

Pall
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

All the best to you Pall, I enjoyed your posts. Have fun with the Skyline.

Comment

Must be sad to see it go, but the new arrival looks exciting. Enjoy the new car direction.
                      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Working...
                      X