No announcement yet.

Third time's the charm: 1989 Lachs/Cardinal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I found myself near Sacramento to meet some friends, and something was rattling around in my brain... don't I have something else going on in Sacramento...?

I got Josh on the phone and he welcomed me in at HMB to see the shop and how my car is doing. I haven't actually been out to see Josh's operation, when the car was ready he happened to be near SF so he simply drove my car back. (it's about 2h inland for those not familiar with the geography)

Josh has a great reception area. My CF plenum is currently serving as decoration.

He led me back into the garage and there was my car! And 5 other E30 M3s as well! (I won't post photos of those, not mine to share)

I had genuinely forgotten how nice my car looks. Haha. Front end is sitting a bit high though...

Oh, right.

LS swap! Nah, just kidding.

Over on the bench, my block. Next to that, a shelf full of bits that go in, on, and around my engine.

We are waiting for the JE pistons at this point, the ETA is a week from today. When they arrive, the block will go out to be bored and Josh can turn the corner from disassembly to reassembly. He's going to vapor hone the aluminum components for a squeaky clean end result. I also have a fresh coolant bottle so the sad brown original one won't crash the party under the hood.

I do have a spare valve cover, once this all done and dusted I will give some thought to a treatment other than the OEM wrinkle black. I can't decide if it would be too much, we'll see.

If you looked at a couple of these photos and thought, wait, that ugly silver one looks familiar... you're right! That's my old project Lachs car! Funny to have them both parked side by side in the same place. I sold that car to a friend, who sent it to Josh for an S54 swap. Having spent that October weekend with my dad's E46 M3, I imagine that will be a really fantastic combination.

Thank you Josh for humoring me and letting me kick around the shop and take photos. I could have spent all day there poking around with all the S14 engine internals. I can't wait for the end result of this build! It will be worth the effort.
    1989 Lachs
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Car blog
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Glad you were able to stop by! You're welcome anytime. As well as any other members in the area.
      1988 E30 M3 S38
      1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Ohhhhh the one flipped on its side is forever my favourite though.

Comment

Just 5 short months later... dream wheels!

BBS E50s in 17x8 et15.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be home to see these in the flesh until January, but my lovely wife sent these photos through (and did a live unboxing for me on FaceTime). First order of business upon return will be to ceramic coat them. I am going to go with 215/40 tires all around so I can rotate front/rear and try to stay ahead of my rear camber wear. For tires I'm leaning toward the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701. These seem to be the best option in the UHP summer range. There are some choices in the extreme summer category but I will start with something less aggressive.
          1989 Lachs
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Car blog
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Nice wheel size choice. I had a set of 16 x 8" and they just didn't float my boat. Too small. With that said with the 15 et your pretty limited to 215's on the front. It might be TIGHT to run 245 35's or 235 40's if your have coilovers.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

215/40s will kill the wheels. Ask me how I know. My Ronal SXs that came with the car when I bought it lasted 1 week. 4 four bent, 1 cracked barrel. Those are some great looking wheels, but I wouldn't run them on any California road unless it was for a show.
              '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
              '88 M3

Comment

Great choice of wheels, they are going to look fantastic on your M3!
                2001 AG M5 -- DD
                1991 AlpinaWeiss 318IS (S54 Swapped) -- Weekend warrior
                1988 Zinno M3 (2.5L S14) -- Undergoing light restoration

Comment

Another big gap between updates. The car is with Josh and I went home to Atlanta for 6 weeks over the holidays to help my parents out. Just came back to California this weekend.

While in Atlanta, I found my old R/C car. It's an HPI RS4 3 (nitro-powered). It looks like I was into M3s even back in high school! I brought it home with me and will try to 'restore' it a little bit.

I did a short write-up of my October trip for the BMW CCCA's quarterly magazine, the Ultimate Classic. I've never had something published like that before and I'm really proud of it. Hopefully this is the start of more and better contributions to this and maybe other publications! If you're not in the CCCA (different from the CCA), give it a look!

Atlanta gets pretty cold in the winter (mid-high 20s at the coldest, typically) so dad's 2002 stayed in the garage and I used his M3 when I needed to get around. I was helping clean up the garage when I stumbled on this license plate that his car wore when it was in Michigan.

I wouldn't pick it personally, but I can appreciate a snarky plate. Dad let me bring it home and it will live on the garage with the other memorabilia.

Dad had never clayed a car before, so I treated the M3 to a wash, clay, and then Griot's new spray-on ceramic wax. I'm only a casual detailing enthusiast but I am curious about these new products and technologies. My brain says that it can't be that robust if it comes from a spray bottle, but initial results were pretty good and we'll see how it holds up. I think it's more of a "utility" wax than a "max gloss" wax, with the emphasis on water beading and protection.

The exhaust tips were looking a bit manky and dad had metal polish, so I spent a few quality hours listening to my audiobooks and scrubbing the exhaust tips.

Santa gave dad a fresh M3 decklid emblem so I installed that as well to complete the rear-end rejuvenation.

I am simultaneously impressed and angered by automotive tapes...

Some days later I repeated the clay and wax routine on my mom's car, which took MUCH longer than the M3.

[posts broken up due to image limit]
                  1989 Lachs
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Car blog
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

That's about it for car-related things from Atlanta. Coming back to my M3... the block is finally back from the machine shop and just about ready to reassemble. Josh says that the block was "crooked" by 0.003 - 0.004" but is now flat. I guess the machine shop that did the crank also did a poor job on the block.

Before

Photo credit: Josh / jibbajabba

After

Photo credit: Josh / jibbajabba

Piston from JE

Photo credit: Josh / jibbaja

Josh had some parts vapor blasted and those are looking really nice!

Photo credit: Josh / jibbaja

And of course, after waiting 5 long months... and then waiting another 6 weeks... I was so excited to finally get home and see these E50s!!! I took them out for a glamor shoot yesterday.

OK

Yeeeeeeeeee

And I think that brings everything up to speed. I think we have finally turned the corner from disassembly and discovery to reassembly! 2021 is the year of dream wheels and 2.44L of displacement. Can't wait to drive this thing again.
                    1989 Lachs
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Car blog
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• What dreams are made of, well done!

Comment

• Konig patiently awaiting pics of wheels on the car... hurry up

Comment

• Originally posted by frankel View Post
                          Konig patiently awaiting pics of wheels on the car... hurry up
                          You and me both, brother. As of now I believe the engine is being reassembled by Josh.

Not much to report, I have started applying ceramic coating to the wheels ahead of tire installation. I have done this on three sets of wheels now, and it makes a huge difference when cleaning time comes around. Very easy DIY, I use Gyeon Rim, it's $50 on amazon. Wipe on, wipe off. Spraying with the hose gets 95% of the dirt off and the rest comes away with a light wipe. On the E50s this is of paramount importance, the nooks and crannies are so many and so small that I can't even get a pinky in the tightest ones just to apply the coating...

I have also firmed up my tire choice. I am going to start with 215/40 all around so I can rotate easily. This would not be such a priority except that, if you go back a few pages, you can see that the rear camber resulting from my ride height absolutely annihilated the 16" set of tires that came on the car. As of right now I have decided to try Yokohama A052 tires. From what I've gathered they are "beefy" for a 215 (not all 215s end up the same width) and they have very positive reviews. I was waffling between 215/40 options on TireRack until a friend pointed out the big "YOKOHAMA" decals on the DTM cars, and I couldn't argue with that. DTM car, DTM airbox, DTM wheels, therefore DTM tires!
                          1989 Lachs
                          1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Car blog
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• The M3 was slated to come home this weekend but unfortunately some late issues came up and it will be a little longer. Nevertheless, on Sunday the Bay Area E30 M3 owners group held its first gathering since the arrival of Covid.

I brought the GT-R instead of the M3, and Danny brought his 1M after his M3 developed some issues. So while we had 7 owners in attendance, it was a relatively small showing of 5 cars.

The nice thing about our group is that, even with lower turnout, it's always a pleasure. It was good to see some familiar faces and meet new group members as well.

I've always enjoyed the opportunity to poke around each others' cars and solicit quick feedback. Does yours make that sound? Am I missing a clip there? Which slat for the M3 badge on the grille? Does that clutch pedal feel normal? How do you like that part? Can I get a ride on your suspension? They all do that!

RB26 good for keeping 2 dozen donuts warm on an unexpectedly chilly morning.

Kyle arriving

New member Kelly arrived late with his new-to-him track car. We had a good chuckle because his stripe scheme is so similar to Luis's... just in the opposite direction!

It's nice to get back to events like this after such a long isolation period. I am really looking forward to getting my car back and scheduling more events in different parts of the bay!
                            1989 Lachs
                            1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Car blog
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• The M3 is home!!!

Low quality photo of Josh's excellent work. Here's what went down, this is scattered through my older posts but here it is all in one place.

The original plan: install carbon airbox, Alpha-N, Schrick 284/276 cams, and Evo flywheel with the goal of awesome induction sound and improved throttle response.
                              What we found: crankshaft was machined incorrectly when the motor was rebuilt 6k miles ago, resulting in excessive "crank walk" across the bores and prematurely worn bearings.
                              The new plan: build it out to a ~2.5L in addition to all of the above.

With the motor apart, Josh vapor-honed all of the cast aluminum and re-sprayed the block satin black. We replaced my crusty coolant and washer bottles and swapped my good-but-not-perfect valve cover for one that had been refinished.

Motor specs

2.5L Sport Evo crank
                              JE 10.8CR pistons
                              Block bored to 94.5mm for a bit of margin with CA gas - 2.44L displacement
                              Schrick 284/276 camshafts
                              Sport Evo valve springs
                              Volvo Turbo injectors
                              15cm / 46mm carbon fiber airbox
                              Maxx A-N v2.0 with WBO2
                              Sport Evo flywheel

In addition to the above, Josh overhauled the rear end with new bushings and wheel bearings and all kinds of nice things. He has shared many photos, I will dig through them and share some in the future.

First impressions: the sound. The sound!!! It's what motivated the whole thing... I wanted the induction bark of the DTM cars, and now I've got it. Things are pretty normal as you first set off, but as the RPMs build there is an interesting new gurgling from the front that gives way to an amazing sewing machine scream. You guys know the sound. I'm so happy with it! The blip on downshifts is so satisfying, and from 4k RPM the engine comes on cam and really hikes up its skirt. It pulls hard out to redline and I just want to do it over and over.

I got out to a couple Cars and Coffee events this weekend but I am keen to keep adding miles on backroads. Tomorrow the E50s go to the shop to get tires fitted, I hope to have those mounted by the weekend.
                              1989 Lachs
                              1988 Lachs - sold
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Car blog
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Excellent update. Glad it all went well. We're gonna need some acceleration videos.
                                1988 BMW M3
                                2010 Ferrari 599
                                2013 BMW X1

Comment

Working...
                                X