Third time's the charm: 1989 Lachs/Cardinal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve88M3 View Post
    Excellent update. Glad it all went well. We're gonna need some acceleration videos.
    I was clever enough to take some “before” videos at least for sound, I’m hoping I can make a back-to-back video.
    1989 Lachs
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Car blog
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I just read the whole thread in a go, such a nice build and all the mods are spot on!

I'm new here but so far this is definitely my favorite thread!

Looking forward to seeing the E50s on the car!!! You must be so impatient!

Cheers

Comment

• E50s are finally mounted up!

For full background, see post #173 for picking/ordering and post #194 for receipt.

Here are the specs:

Wheels
        BBS E50, built to order new from BBS
        17x8 et15 square
        02-50-389 center with 2" and 6" lips
        weight: 18.4 lbs / ~8.4kg (bathroom scale)

Tires
        215/40R17 Yokohama Advan A052

Other
        BBS black "3d" center caps, 70.6mm / 4-tab (BBS 56.24.120)
        McGard 67179BK lug bolts with locks
        Ceramic coated with Gyeon Rim

I am extremely pleased with the outcome! The A052 has a pretty beefy shoulder for a 215 width, looking more like a 225. For aesthetics I'd love if it sat a little lower, but I'm on H&R springs with Bilsteins and I am very happy with the ride comfort/handling balance. At this time I don't want to spend big money on coilovers just to be able to pull a few mm out of the ride height, and it's kind of nice to be able to approach driveways and speed bumps without gritting my teeth.

Fitting these wheels is almost an anti-climax, I ordered them over a year ago and they've been sitting in my home office for 8 months, staring at me. Since they were built-to-order I labored over the width and offset to no end, and I am so relieved that I've gotten it right. My old car ran 16x8 et15 and I think for an 8" width that really is the perfect offset for a flush-sided look. I've had no issues with rubbing in the ~80 miles I've covered so far, and the A052s are actually very quiet (relative to my exhaust and new motor setup...) and comfortable on the road.

I look forward to adding more and more miles on the car to keep building impressions of the powertrain and the wheel/tire setup. The car got a wipe-down today in preparation for Monterey Car Week, as I will be taking it down to Legends of the Autobahn. If you're there please come by and say hello!

1989 Lachs
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Car blog
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Those look great, about as good as it gets in a period correct design. Did you ceramic coat them? They look like they'll be a bitch to keep clean.

I see what you mean about the ride height. It doesn't look bad by any means but would look a little better if the front was even .25" lower - to better match the rear.

Comment

• This is an absolutely perfect look. Well done! I'm with Mick on the .25 lowering if it's possible. If not it's so good no one will notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mick View Post
              Those look great, about as good as it gets in a period correct design. Did you ceramic coat them? They look like they'll be a bitch to keep clean.

I see what you mean about the ride height. It doesn't look bad by any means but would look a little better if the front was even .25" lower - to better match the rear.
              Yes, I coated them with Gyeon Rim. I’ve used it on all my wheels recently (Focus street and track wheels, Skyline wheels) and I’ve been very happy with it. Most dust and dirt rinses off with the first spray of the house, whatever is left comes off with an easy wipe. We’ll see how it holds up on these wheels, aside from the geometry the magnesium surface just has all these pores.
              1989 Lachs
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Car blog
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I took the car down to Monterey this past Saturday to enjoy car week(end). On Saturday morning I had a display spot at Legends of the Autobahn. I'm not sure what happened this year, in the past this event has been on Friday at the golf course adjacent to Laguna Seca. This year it was on Saturday instead, which was a bummer because it overlapped with the biggest day of historic racing at the track.

I feel very bad for the event organizers because, with a week and a half to go, the good people of Carmel Valley got their panties in a wad about the prospect of boisterous cars coming into town and pulled the permits for the event. Amazingly the organizers were able to salvage the event and relocate to the Monterey County Fairgrounds at the last minute. The venue had a cool feel but I think it was a lot smaller than the original plan and cars were pinched. Huge props to the Legends organizers for pulling through with the event in crappy circumstances!!

In any case, early Saturday the lady and I drove down. I got this nice over-algorithm-processed phone snap during our Starbucks breakfast stop.

The display lot was the interior of the fairground stadium, which was kind of a fun spot. Felt like the cars were bulls pawing around for the rodeo.

Fair warning - I have not finished editing all my photos, so these will just be the M3s that I saw. I'll post a link to the album when I get it done in a future post. There was a nice DS car on some period wheels parked up with the official BMW hardware on display. Nice parts, plate, and stickers! Didn't get to meet the owner unfortunately.

I ran into long-time local owner Jaime while his car was being judged. I don't want to steal Jaime's thunder but his car has... are you sitting down?

471,000 MILES!

Can you believe it? Someone give this man a medal.

I ran into Paul with his color-matched M3 and M-Tech convertible, the Miami Blue wrap looks great! I wish I could have gotten some better photos :-/

Next to roll in was Kyle, the air-ride is so extreme and such a cool look when it's laid out. He runs my old Italvolanti steering wheel and it looks right at home with all the other rare parts (Futuras, Startecs, DTM mirrors, etc)

After spending the morning at Legends we drove over to Laguna to catch the early afternoon races. Unfortunately general parking at Laguna is out in the filthy dirt lots and my clean car was immediately coated. Oh well.

I happened to catch Kasra on my way out for the day.

As I said before, this is a very short and very E30 M3-focused report. It's such a drag to sift through hundreds of photos so I wanted to at least get some photos out the door to keep the motivation primed haha.

The M3 did great on its first long outing with the new motor and wheel setup. The tires are commendably quiet and the ride is comfortable, the car pulls well in the higher RPM range and really seem to be in its sweet spot from 80 to 95mph. We sat in stop-and-go traffic without issues. Will add more miles this weekend.

What's next? The front is sitting a little higher than I'd like so, on the recommendation of some folks from the Facebook group, I will probably pursue E90 drop hats. No rush though, right now I'm just enjoying the ride.

1989 Lachs
                1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Car blog
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Great update!

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

• Originally posted by Konig View Post
                    E50s are finally mounted up!

For full background, see post #173 for picking/ordering and post #194 for receipt.

Here are the specs:

Wheels
                    BBS E50, built to order new from BBS
                    17x8 et15 square
                    02-50-389 center with 2" and 6" lips
                    weight: 18.4 lbs / ~8.4kg (bathroom scale)

Tires
                    215/40R17 Yokohama Advan A052

Other
                    BBS black "3d" center caps, 70.6mm / 4-tab (BBS 56.24.120)
                    McGard 67179BK lug bolts with locks
                    Ceramic coated with Gyeon Rim

I am extremely pleased with the outcome! The A052 has a pretty beefy shoulder for a 215 width, looking more like a 225. For aesthetics I'd love if it sat a little lower, but I'm on H&R springs with Bilsteins and I am very happy with the ride comfort/handling balance. At this time I don't want to spend big money on coilovers just to be able to pull a few mm out of the ride height, and it's kind of nice to be able to approach driveways and speed bumps without gritting my teeth.

Fitting these wheels is almost an anti-climax, I ordered them over a year ago and they've been sitting in my home office for 8 months, staring at me. Since they were built-to-order I labored over the width and offset to no end, and I am so relieved that I've gotten it right. My old car ran 16x8 et15 and I think for an 8" width that really is the perfect offset for a flush-sided look. I've had no issues with rubbing in the ~80 miles I've covered so far, and the A052s are actually very quiet (relative to my exhaust and new motor setup...) and comfortable on the road.

I look forward to adding more and more miles on the car to keep building impressions of the powertrain and the wheel/tire setup. The car got a wipe-down today in preparation for Monterey Car Week, as I will be taking it down to Legends of the Autobahn. If you're there please come by and say hello!

That is a perfect match.

Comment

• I finished editing my photos of Legends and the historic races, you can see those albums here if you like. For whatever reason I wasn't really 'feeling' the photography this year so this isn't my best work.

Legends: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWt3bSN
                      Historic races: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWtfkTD

The M3 feels brilliant and I am adding miles. At this time of the year there is some Cars/Coffee or car event just about every weekend, so I have plenty of excuses to get out and drive. Last weekend I made a pilgrimage to the famous "M Haus" up on Skyline boulevard. A good friend (and E30 M3 alumnus) lives in a fantastic house, with a fantastic garage full of bimmers, maybe a quarter of a mile from the famous Alice's Restaurant. Alice's serves as the unofficial hub for Silicon Valley club drives and general car spotting.

I know, that's not an M car... but there are four in the garage, promise. Thanks Jeff for letting me swing by and giving me the tour!

Keen-eyed viewers may notice that I have fitted my ACS replica mirrors. I like how they look, they have a carbon-fiber-fade-to-black finish that matches my replica Evo splitter and wing flap. Way back in this same thread (post #181) I bought convex blue E30 glass from Latvia and cut it to fit these mirrors. I am pleased to report that they are working very well and the mirrors are actually usable on the street! My only regret is that I only cut the RH mirror, and didn't do the driver's side. I have no idea why I only did one side. The "zoom" effect is not as bad on the driver side but I will probably be cutting another mirror soon.

Yesterday morning I got this nice snap at the very scenic and very crowded C&C held at the Fogarty Winery up on Skyline. The E46 behind me is a CSL tribute so we compared our carbon airboxes. Looking back we missed a pretty good photo op but there was very little room to maneuver.

Today I refreshed the front struts and installed E90 drop hats to bring the front ride height down a touch. This is purely cosmetic, I am very happy with the compliant ride of the Bilstein + H&R sport combination and I didn't want to throw that away. I got new spring pads, hardware, and top mounts as well "while I was in there." Before and after.

The E90 drop hats dropped right in. I swapped the upper spring pad from the factory 9mm version to the 3mm version.

I finished late in the day but, from my quick measurements, I appear to have dropped about 12mm (~1/2") in the front with these changes. It's not much at all, and functionally I feel no difference, but it closes up that gap just the right amount for me.

Lazy iPhone snaps for now, I'll get proper photos soon. But to me, it looks like a million bucks. Short of an actual DTM car or an original Sport Evo this car is everything I've ever wanted in my M3. Dynamically it's fantastic and from here it's smaller jobs to improve quality of life. The body is a knockout from 10 feet but is getting along in the years and some day will need the full overhaul treatment. I don't see that happening any time soon.

1989 Lachs
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Car blog
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Happy to see the results of the drop hats. I'm about to do the same. I just can't swing $3000 for suspension right now, but the reverse rake of the sports/bilstien combo is driving me crazy. Glad you're enjoying it after all the work!

Comment

• Got some local owners together yesterday in Portola Valley. Great to see M3 friends and the car is running well. Just a few snaps.

1989 Lachs
                          1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Car blog
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                          X