Time for a do-over - 1989 DS M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
    But mercedes 9mm fuel line is the incorrect part....too big.

​​​​​5/16 is the right part. Some manufacturers relabel 8mm as 5/16 for different markets.
    i've used the Gates 5/16" in a pinch before, and had it fail prematurely and almost burn my car to the ground. i'm certainly hesitant to use it, after that. possibly an isolated situation, that we could chalk up to "poor quality control", but i'll try the Merc fuel hose for a bit. i've been using it lately (since i don't have much choice), and once heat cycled, they shrink a fair amount and seem to fit fairly well. not my favorite situation, but in this strange, strange world we live in, currently...
    Portland, Oregon
    '88 M5 | '88 330is | '89 M3

Comment

When I re-did and still in process of doing I used the Coast Guard approved 5/16 marine duty fuel line. It has a (I think) purple tracer through it to identify it.
      My hose guy (yes I have a hose guy) told me it was the best quality rubber fuel line they sell.
      The product is Parker Wavemaster 7165 https://ph.parker.com/us/en/marine-f...ose-wavemaster
      I'm guessing Marshall may have knowledge of this?
      Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-25-2021, 08:35 AM.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I have been using Gates hose in BMW's for 20yrs. including high heat race applications. zero issues. there are many standards for fuel hose depending upon fuel type and pressure limits. Gates makes lots of different hoses.
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

LOL...heat shrink/cycle fuel hose? not sure i would put hose in a high pressure fuel system and depend upon it shrinking to fit...but its your car.

Jimmy...USCG approved hose. if i use gates in my car does that mean it is USCG approved?
        75 M2 Zinno
        88 M3 Henna

Comment

• dudley123
          dudley123 commented
          Editing a comment
          this is what I bought when redoing my fuel-system up front and tank/evap

haven't had much time to work on this for a while. ordered all the parts and then got sick for 3 weeks, then had an ice storm that caused lots of fallout in my neighborhood (including being without power for a week, grr)

cooling system all overhauled and working flawlessly (which was the last thing i was able to do before i was bedridden for almost a month). here's what most of the cooling hoses looked like. all were stamped between 29-36/'88. eek.

looking much better now.

my first day back to work, i decided to drive the M3 so i could perform the oil service, replace the fuel hoses, etc. as i pulled in to my complex, i started smelling a serious amount of fuel. turned out that the main fuel feed hose (from the hard line, to the fuel rail) had rotted away. what convenient timing. fuel hoses were from the 36th week of '88. pretty consistent with every coolant hose i removed, too.

the next weekend, i decided i'd overhaul the shifting assembly and fix the leaky shift rod seal. brought it in, blew it all apart, installed a '95 M3 shift lever (to replace the rattly Rogue shift lever), new reverse light switch, repaired the harness, all new bushings, shift rod/output shaft seals, new shifter insulation boot, and threw it all back together. no more leaks, yay! drove it to the hardware store, to grab some supplies for a project my helper and i were working on, and as i pulled into the parking spot, the shift lever had no more positive feel...uhhh. pulled the insulation boot and noticed that the aftermarket Rogue heavy-duty selector rod had failed... great. called my helper and had him bring a floor jack and a pry bar, so i could at least put the transmission in second gear and limp it back to the shop so i could figure out what the hell happened.

got back and put the car on the rack... what i saw was very perplexing. i should have caught this while the car was apart, but didn't think anything of it. the Rogue Engineering shift rod, while very heavy duty in construction, was not engineered very well, at all. the long part of the shaft is drilled at each end, and the ends are bolted together with a 6mm Chinesium bolt... particularly, on a buzzy little car, like the e30m3, those bolts will fracture and snap off. that is exactly what happened in my situation. why the folks at Rogue decided not to spend another 5 minutes and weld the ends on, i will never know or understand. so, i jumped in my red s50 car and flew down to my fabricator friend's place, and he welded both ends in place. good to go. stock photo from RE below, for reference...what a terrible execution.

decided i would give it a thorough wash, along with my neglected e28m5 (that sits, awaiting it's lazy owner to change the clutch master cylinder...again)

and, after that, my mentee and took it on a ~300 mile trip, to go retrieve his e28. did spectacular, the whole way. this is rapidly becoming my most favorite car i've ever owned (out of 150+).

thanks for looking.
        Portland, Oregon

Comment

ahhh...rubber is not forever..

interesting on the RE shifter. have one in my E36M3 for a decade now with no issues. gonna look at it when it is in the air next time.

wait..how did your e28 M5 get "green"?
          75 M2 Zinno
          88 M3 Henna

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
            ahhh...rubber is not forever..

interesting on the RE shifter. have one in my E36M3 for a decade now with no issues. gonna look at it when it is in the air next time.

wait..how did your e28 M5 get "green"?
            some people sure think so! *shudders*

yes, definitely check that out, before you, too, get stranded. i do not like that feeling -____-
            (otherwise, it was a very nicely constructed piece. that critical overthought is certainly the achilles heel of an otherwise solid unit.)

long story short, but the m5 was painted in the late 80s/early 90s, when it still had a turbocharger strapped to it. i found it sitting in a yard, where it hadn't moved in a very long time, and ultimately, saved it from an untimely demise. the colour honestly doesn't bother me, because i always wanted an m5 to go drive without guilt, and since it's the wrong colour, i'm perfectly fine with it!

link here: https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=144259
            Portland, Oregon

Comment

Working...
            X