Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here she is tattered and battered...

...but I'm excited to bring her back!

Basically, she's been sitting for 5 years while I was at school. She wasn't perfect before, even less now. Here are some pics...

Covered and unveiled...

After a five minute rinse...

I'm posting to prepare you guys for my upcoming barage of questions, after searching of coarse! Even an ugly M3 deserves some newfound glory.

I'll post more about her tomorrow, it's late here! My blog has more details.

Take care.
    Pierre

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
    E30 M3 Wiki
    My Youtube Channel
    E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

I read your blog, nice start you have. Do you plan on doing most of the work yourself? Keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

I'm gonna try to do everything myself, can't wait actually. The used engine is sort of temporary, until the pulled original engine is professionally massaged to what I want.

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep you posted.

Now, I'm looking for a 3.25 or 3.46 lsd diff to compliment the CR box.

E30 M3 Wiki
      My Youtube Channel

Comment

the previous owner of my car had it under covers for years. Your paint seems to have that same problem. it took a lot of time but I was able to buff it out, and people ask me now if the car has been repainted. that looks fixable.

just make sure you get new tires
        ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
          the previous owner of my car had it under covers for years. Your paint seems to have that same problem. it took a lot of time but I was able to buff it out, and people ask me now if the car has been repainted. that looks fixable.

just make sure you get new tires
          So how did you bring it back. I even thought you had a respray.
          1988 M3
          2012 335is
          1993 Civic Si

Comment

good question.

I bought some spare stockers with good tires for the transfer to my garage. It's at my pop's.

E30 M3 Wiki
            My Youtube Channel

Comment

No stock E30 M3 is ugly... They are BMW's best looking car ever made.

Good luck with the project!
              Doug
              San Jose, Costa Rica

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                No stock E30 M3 is ugly... They are BMW's best looking car ever made.

It's hard to find an arguement against this statement IMO. Despite it's blemishes, you've got a great little car there. Good luck w/ the restoration, and don't doubt the awesomeness of your car.

Comment

Good words of encouragment. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the thing...its just that there's so many nice examples on this site. This one needs extra TLC.

E30 M3 Wiki
                  My Youtube Channel

Comment

5 years huh? Hope the parking brake wasn't set, or left in gear. Don't even start it till you replace the timing chain tensioner or at minimum removal and inspection. If that little [email protected]#ker siezed in that chain will rattle like a sumbitch and possibly snap.

Also, pop the spark plugs and put some (1/2 oz) marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and crank it over for a few seconds with the coil disconnected before you start it. It'l break up any deposits on the rings and valves and get the motor moving before you add spark. You want it to almost flood it so you get alot of lubrication into the valvetrain and upper rings on the initial start. Also when you do the first oil change add about 1/2 quart up. She might burn a little getting her breath back.

Keep us posted :t: Get to work fool.

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
                      5 years huh? Hope the parking brake wasn't set, or left in gear. Don't even start it till you replace the timing chain tensioner or at minimum removal and inspection. If that little [email protected]#ker siezed in that chain will rattle like a sumbitch and possibly snap.

Also, pop the spark plugs and put some (1/2 oz) marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and crank it over for a few seconds with the coil disconnected before you start it. It'l break up any deposits on the rings and valves and get the motor moving before you add spark. You want it to almost flood it so you get alot of lubrication into the valvetrain and upper rings on the initial start. Also when you do the first oil change add about 1/2 quart up. She might burn a little getting her breath back.

Keep us posted :t: Get to work fool.
                      The timing chain/tensioner/rails are shot. A lower mileage engine will be installed in the meantime.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definately keep them in mind for the replacement engine.

Tips on diff maintenance? Wheel bearings? Heater core? Bushings?

Small things like these are what worry me.

E30 M3 Wiki
                      My Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                      X