The Fight Against Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fight Against Rust

After not running the car for over two years, due to an engine problem, rust on my car became a major problem. Especially around the front wind sheeld.

A few months back, after a long wait, I got a garage for rent.
    Now I started stripping the car to seek for all rust.

Here some pics of the project so far.

Waiting on the street.

The new home.

Last pic in one piece.

Started with the interior.

After removing the front windsheeld.

The bug eating my car.

Driver side.

Compleet cable tree out of the car.

Last interior pieces left.

Engine bay stripping.

Last pic so far. There is no way back now!!!
    sigpic

damn i never would have guessed the rust was that bad from the first few pics. good luck with that. are you going to do a full respray of the car?
    ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
      damn i never would have guessed the rust was that bad from the first few pics. good luck with that. are you going to do a full respray of the car?
      I`m considdering a acid dip. This will remove all paint and stickers. The stickers are completely faded. Then cut out all rust spot and weld in new metal parts. Then a complete respray.
      sigpic

Comment

wow

I hate to admit it but my M has a few spots as well.

My rust is very light compared to that, but its just a matter of time once it starts.

My respray (2002) was supposed to repair my spots (under fuse box, drivers rear fender well) but small paint bubbles have re-appeared since.

Good luck....hopfully you have a welder in the family

Comment

Go Carlo!!!!!!!!! Great progress so far.:nice!:
          1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Acid dip or media blasting might reveal more hidden rust. You gotta make sure you remove every last bit of rust, or it'll be back to bite you in the ass. Good luck with your project, and be sure to keep us updated.

Comment

do no acid dip it if you are worried about longevity. it is hard to neutralize the acid in the rockers, etc.

instead media blast it. depending on the media used, the paint will be stripped off with no damage to the underlying metal.
              James
              sigpic

Comment

don't they use like walnuts or something funny like that to blast the car?
                ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
                  don't they use like walnuts or something funny like that to blast the car?
                  No, they can use Soda, Sand, and in a sealed area, Glass beads. Walnuts were used on intake valves to clean off the carbon because if the shells got into the combustion chamber they wouldn't cause damage like sand or other media's would. I guess you could use the wallnut shells on the paint, but it wouldn't be too fast. I had rust repaired on my windshield cowl too, but it wasn't nearly as bad as yours is... see these pics: http://ryan.tobinhosting.com/album/P.../aaa.sized.jpg
                  http://ryan.tobinhosting.com/album/P.../aba.sized.jpg
                  They used sand to blast it away, and then they welded it up and sealed/primed/painted the whole area (I had the whole car sprayed at the same time).
                  Good luck with the projhect, looks like fun!
                  Ryan G. MotorWorks

'72 2002tii Inka/Black (Restoring- then FS)
                  '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                  '04 Mini Cooper S 6spd White/Black
                  http://www.ryangmw.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Indeed I`m a little worried about the protection of the non reachable places.

Have a look at this thread on a Dutch forum. This is the way I like to go.
                    http://www.bmwdriversclub.nl/index.p...ewtopic&t=3527

sigpic

Comment

This would definitely get the hard to reach places, but getting the primer/protective coating will be hard. I would probably go the media blasting route. Just make sure they use a different media for the bumpers and decklid.

Comment

I work at a resto shop and my advice is.

The first thing you should do is strip the car completely all wiring included. Mark everything that you are not sure of what it is or where it goes. I usually keep a sharpy in my pocket and will write notes on bags or right on the car if it is getting resprayed.

Make a stand to hold the car while you drop the sub-frames, fuel tank, and anything else. Something that rolls is nice.

Remove all sound insulation/tar from the spots that you think have rust. Remove all body panels.

If you have rust around yours windscreen you most likely have rust on the firewall.

Good luck

Nate

PS Just take your time and cut out all the rust. If there is spots that you can't reach get your self a spotblaster or even a small sandblaster and use them in local areas of the car. Sending a car to media blasting cost a lot of money and dipping one costs even more. At the shop I work at www.sport-car-restoration.com we only media blast cars with a huge amount of rust, and the only reason we send a car to media blasting is to save the customer money. $75 an hour removing rust cost a lot!

www.Sports-car-restoration.com

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
                          This would definitely get the hard to reach places, but getting the primer/protective coating will be hard. I would probably go the media blasting route. Just make sure they use a different media for the bumpers and decklid.
                          You would not want to blast the the bumpers or decklid. Only chassis and or METAL panels with rust.

www.Sports-car-restoration.com

Comment

Thank for the input Nate. Dipping will be around €500-600. I`m not shure what blasting will cost me here. I still have to research that.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X