Final Cage Build pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Cage Build pics

Finally, I can say that I welded the last cage joint. While there might still be a few mounts coming off the cage (dash mounts, steering, ect), the cage is complete. Lots and lots of hours of fab work. I know why the good guys charge good money. Dont know if I'll build my next one or just pay someone like I have before, but it was definitely a fun experience and will make a great story when I finally finish the car.

I have to argue that the pictures don’t do some of the details justice though. Specifically the gussets between the a-pillar and the cage. Aside from the obvious, these were welded in to later be covered with a faux suede that will start at the windshield, wrap around the rollbar, and terminate against the a-pillar again. I almost dont want to cover them though. This will make the front part of the cage almost invisible as it wont look like much more than a slightly bigger a-pillar. If you look at the older pictures in it is obvious how close the cage is to the a-pillars. Anyway, these gussets are perfectly tangent to the rollbar tubes and should look smooooooth once covered.

Next pics will be of other detail interior work. I finished "re-shaping part of the floor to put the seats down way low. Brackets should be made this weekend. Coleman precision pedal box is in, but I dont like it. I will probably make a new pedal before I mount it.

Chris

All the pics are here, but I copied a few teasers below:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...0_m3_rollcage/

02 M Coupe

wow awesome build! Can't wait to see it all put back together.

Comment

Thats a pretty diesel cage.

Ive been thinking about that idea a lot for my car. How much money did you spend on the Chromoly tubing?
      http://www.powerslidemotorsports.com

Comment

That's some serious protection!

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Looks well planned and methodical. Is the S54 and SMG planned for this vehicle? Can't wait till you start "wrapping" things up.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. Yeh, it is some serious protection, but I am the guy who rolled my last toy 3.5 times at about 80 mph. The older I get the more bars I want around me.... Also, some of the extra work was to make this cage race legal should I not finish this project and want to sell it to someone else, or finish it and want to time trial or hillclimb it.

Yes, the S54/SMG is going (already in) this car. If I werent traveling so much for work I would have the new subframe finished by now. It is possible to use the S52 swap info to do an S54, but I didnt want to use the single sump oil pan. So, I went with a true dry sump pan but that still didnt clear the crossmember. I decided just to build my own from scratch. Those pics coming next.

I did not use Cro-Moly for several reasons. Long story short, a 4130 cage should only be TIG welded and should be normalized though most people dont do this. My TIG skills are not nearly as good as my MIG skills so I actually sold my TIG machine and bought a new MIG just for this cage. A good mild steel cage is more than protective.

The cost question is a really good one, but relates to equipment too so here is a list of all the major tools I uesd and an approx cost:

Tools:
            Welder: Millermatic 210 with spoolgun ~$2000 (spoolgun not needed for cage)
            Bender: Pro-Tools 105 w/ two dies ~$1000
            Tube notcher: Pro-tools HSN500 ~$200
            Good holesaw for notcher: $80 (yes, 80 bucks just for the saw but it was well worth it!)
            Chop saw: Dewalt DW872 $400
            Digital anglemeter: $100 on ebay (SUPER helpful)

Material:
            1020 DOM seamless tubing is roughhly $100 per 20 foot section. This cost varies dramatically so shop around. This cage would take 3 lengths to complete if you made no mistakes during bending. I sed 4 lengths.

I am more than willing to answer questions on the fab if anyone is getting ready to start their own similar project.

Chris
            02 M Coupe

Comment

Working...
            X