My Henna M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Henna M3

I don't think I've posted photos of my car here before, so I thought I'd put a few up following a li'l wash this afternoon.

A quick rundown:

- 6/87-built Henna Red, originally with black leather interior - swapped out for a Houndstooth cloth interior, a personal favourite.

- Purchased Jan '07 in Atlanta from the 2nd owner, best friend of the 1st owner. It had been a Georgia car its whole life. 79,954 miles. 100% stock, other than wearing 16x8 Momo Star's. The chassis is spotless. The purchase itself was pretty crazy --- on a whim, I ran a quick Craigslist search before shutting my computer off, and found the ad. I called the seller to inquire - he had just posted the ad that day. Following an overwhelming flood of phonecalls, he ended up refusing to show the car, saying it was all too much and that he was just going to keep it. A friend and I did a drive-by the next day, as he had given me his address before refusing to sell it - there she sat, alone in the driveway, waiting to be bought.

Over the next month, I stayed in touch with him and convinced him to let me come and have a good look at it. I did, and gave him a deposit immediately, then went to pick it up a week later. The seller and I have since stayed in touch, and he often tells me that he regrets selling it.

- It ran fine when I bought it, but I didn't have much history on it, and I wasn't going to be satisfied unless I went through it myself. The ignition system in general seemed original - cap full of filings, crossfiring wires, worn sparkplugs, etc. New everything here, along with fresh oil and filters everywhere dramatically improved the situation - much smoother and more responsive. It was also a little dirty - steam-cleaned carpets, new floor mats, and elbow grease have improved the interior dramatically.

- I nearly sold it in '07, but luckily work and life got in the way - I'm glad now, as I too would have regretted selling it.

The first photos I saw of it, on the Craigslist ad:

The PO's license plate got me some rude looks on that drive home, especially when I stopped to get gas, right next to a lady with her three kids. Oh yeah, and my wife loved it too..... [yeahok]

Finally mine!

At home with the Fleet (at the time):

I couldn't handle the Momo's - I needed some BBS, so some E28 M5 wheels were an early addition:

And today:

The rundown of updates and mods installed within the last 18 months:
    - Regular tune-ups - plugs, fluids, filters
    - New cooling hoses + drive belts - Gustave's Magnecor ignition wire setup
    - New brake rotors + pads
    - Eibach Comp springs w/ Koni top-adjust shocks, offset strut top mounts + Rogue RSM's
    - 17x8" BBS RC's w/ 15mm H+R spacers + 215/40 Dunlop Direzza DZ101's
    - Euro Smiley headlights w/ 4300k HID's
    - Iigomotiv SS93 chip - VSR exhaust centersection + Stromung catback combo
    - Small 365mm MTech1 steering wheel - Houndstooth interior - M3 floor mats
    - New OE BMW windshield, carefully installed

Waiting in the garage, still to be added:
    - Freshly-rebuilt euro CR dogleg tranny + 3.46 LSD w/ M Coupe finned diff cover
    - JB Racing aluminum flywheel + new SACHS clutch kit
    - Small 365mm MTech2 steering wheel - although I do like the MTech1...
    - Refinished valve cover + intake plenum - wrinkle red
    - Brand new smoked Hella Smileys
    - Startec smoked taillights - not sure on these yet
    - Euro rear licence plate filler

Still to get - can anyone help ?
    - Evo 2 chin spoiler
    - Recaro Pole Position's - I think...
    - Smoked front indicators
    - A fresh paintjob, one day!

Many thanks to the many S14.net members and fellow E30 M3 owners who have helped out - whether it was parts, knowledge, and/or your valuable time
    Last edited by Low Level; 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM.
    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Ive seen that garage before.

I found that pic on R3V a while ago.

Clean M. I like the changes you've made.

Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
      Ive seen that garage before.

I found that pic on R3V a while ago.

Clean M. I like the changes you've made.

Hunter

Yeah, that's a friend's (old) place in Atlanta - the one who went with me on the driveby, and who subsequently helped me clean the car up. A real good guy.

Thanks very much!
      -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

+1

Great post. Don't ditch the houndstooth interior for race seats.
        2000 Subaru Legacy GT
        1995 BMW M3
        1988 BMW M3
        2002 Honda CBR954RR
        1993 Honda VFR400R
        1992 Honda CBR600F2
        1992 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Dig the houndstooth!! Glad you went back to BBS wheels -- classic.
          88 E30 M3 Hennarot
          95 E36 M3 Avusblau (Track Car)

Comment

love the houndstooth! where did you find it in such good condition??

Comment

Originally posted by Wharthog View Post
              love the houndstooth! where did you find it in such good condition??
              I bought it while living in Germany a few years ago, before I bought my E30 M3 - hoping that one day I would have the right car to use it in. It's a complete interior w/ door panels and all.
              -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

clean car AJ

Comment

I should report you for still having AD plates.

JK Looks good

1991 M3 - SOLD | 1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

totally hot. no car does it for me like a hennaredm3. i love your car. great choices. great buy. don't ever sell. listen, i just got back from montana, 44 hr drive. i am finishing up in nj on the 15th. after that. let's get together in e tennessee toward august/september. happy for you.
                    the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Originally posted by alexw View Post
                      I should report you for still having AD plates.

JK Looks good

Haha - well, I had my E46 M3 shipped back over to the US w/ the AD plates still on it - I had to drive it to the shipper, so I needed the plates

I did keep the plates - I gave one to my dad, also a car guy, as a souvenir, and kept one for my Wall o' License Plates in my garage.

Originally posted by evans61 View Post
                      totally hot. no car does it for me like a hennaredm3. i love your car. great choices. great buy. don't ever sell. listen, i just got back from montana, 44 hr drive. i am finishing up in nj on the 15th. after that. let's get together in e tennessee toward august/september. happy for you.
                      You're the world's #1 Henna enthusiast - thanks for the good words. Hope we can plan something soon!
                      -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Way to represent henna my friend ! Looks very clean !
                        Can,

'87 E30 M3 (Henna Restoration)
                        '00 E36/8 Z3 M Coupé Turbo
                        '11 E90 320d M Sport

Comment

Working...
                        X