Yamez RS' Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamez RS' Progress Thread

After spending over a year looking for a DS on black or DS on cardinal E30 M3 I settled for DS on silver car with about 101k on the clock. The car had a two stage repaint about 2 years previous to the sale and it is still looking great. Around the same time the interior had been recovered around in the original color leather. In addition the engine, transmission and differential had all been resealed. For suspension the car has Bilstein sports, eibach springs, Ireland engineering swaybars and a host of chassis reinforcements from Turner Motorsports. From my research the car was originally delivered in Spain to a US serviceman who then took it home to Florida. It then hopped around Florida and Texas before I bought it in San Antonio.

Here are some pictures from the original sale. My plan for the car is to a slow continuing restoration while using the car for spirited driving trips, autoXs and trackdays. The car will also be a testbed at some point for some personal engineering projects as I am currently working on my Masters in Mechanical Engineering.

The limo tint was awful and a huge pain to get off. Here's what she looked liked after a couple of weeks in my ownership.

In preperation for a trackday the brake system was flushed and refilled with AP600 and Hawk HT10s were added all the way around. Also, the diff oil, trans fluid and engine oil were all replaced with Redline products. When the fluids were emptied it appeared they were the same Redline products but better safe than sorry.

After the trackday and a move to a new city here's her new home. In the works right now is getting this set of E38 weaves blasted and painted gold and both front calipers are being rebuilt. During this time I also installed an electric puller fan from RongineerUnfortunetly, around the same time the driver's side rear sway bar mount broke even though it appeared that they had been reinforced so that is the next project.

On a side note here are my two previous cars side by side during the small period of time I had them both. After driving the lightweight Corolla with full suspension and no power and the near stock E36 I knew I needed something that combined the best of both worlds; obviously my new M3 does this in style.

Last edited by Yamez RS; 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM.
    James | Straight Pipes: Engaged

Looks great! Much better since the buy.

Comment

looks good man, good choice on the 16's

= )
      @slowprogress

Comment

You should definitely put the nut covers back on. It looks way better with them on.

Zachary

Comment

Looks great! Glad to see a fine example tracked.

Comment

Hi James:

The car is coming along great! I'm very happy I was able to help you with that one. As you know I had my eye on the car, but I was really stuck on black interior so I opted to pass it by and keep looking. A southern car is definitely better generally...yours was from Fla & Texas (mine from North & South Carolina its whole life).

I believe you found a definite keeper...PO seemed like a good guy as well! I would have removed that tinting also....good move!

Those are E28 M5 16's right? Those will look great on the car...225/45/16 is standard tire size if I recall.

One suggestion re the E39 Style 5's.....as opposed to some others, I definitely like running these wheels "without" the center caps.....the caps make the car look "too pretty" IMO....looks much more racey "sans" the caps. Next time you have them off, paint the brake hubs "black" so the rust won't show through the centers when the wheels are mounted.

Good luck with your Master's in ME (I have a MS in Civil)....I started out in Mechanical Eng. working for GM back in the good days! :-)

Glad you are enjoying the car, and Best Wishes!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Alco-hall View Post
              Looks great! Much better since the buy.
              Thanks man it has taken some work.

Originally posted by JZM3 View Post
              looks good man, good choice on the 16's

= )
              You're really complimenting yourself. I have to say that your car is one of the cars that really convinced me that the 16"s were the way to go especially the E38 weaves.

Originally posted by Z_Hurst View Post
              You should definitely put the nut covers back on. It looks way better with them on.

Zachary
              You and I both know you're not telling the truth.

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
              Looks great! Glad to see a fine example tracked.
              I feel like that's what cars like this are for plus its just so much fun. You're not having the maximum amount of fun just cruising around town, although you can try.

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
              Hi James:

The car is coming along great! I'm very happy I was able to help you with that one. As you know I had my eye on the car, but I was really stuck on black interior so I opted to pass it by and keep looking. A southern car is definitely better generally...yours was from Fla & Texas (mine from North & South Carolina its whole life).

I believe you found a definite keeper...PO seemed like a good guy as well! I would have removed that tinting also....good move!

Those are E28 M5 16's right? Those will look great on the car...225/45/16 is standard tire size if I recall.

One suggestion re the E39 Style 5's.....as opposed to some others, I definitely like running these wheels "without" the center caps.....the caps make the car look "too pretty" IMO....looks much more racey "sans" the caps. Next time you have them off, paint the brake hubs "black" so the rust won't show through the centers when the wheels are mounted.

Good luck with your Master's in ME (I have a MS in Civil)....I started out in Mechanical Eng. working for GM back in the good days! :-)

Glad you are enjoying the car, and Best Wishes!

John
              Thanks again for your help John. I am really happy with the car but as great as the previous owner was he didn't see the need to keep any records of what he did to the car while he had it. The wheels are E38 weaves not the E28 M5 wheels, much more common and cheaper too.

Comment

Oh ok, I learned something....I like the look of the E38's. Enjoy!

John

Originally posted by Yamez RS View Post
                ......The wheels are E38 weaves not the E28 M5 wheels, much more common and cheaper too.

Comment

Update for 2010! Getting the car back together for the new year. The car has been sitting since November which has been really aggravating me. I sold the style 5's before getting the E38 weaves finished (which is another nightmare).

I really wanted to do the weaves in a color similar to either the Subaru or BBS gold. I initially started painting them myself and after about 8 hours of work I was nowhere near finished. Given that I was extremely busy with school and work I decided to have someone else powdercoat them gold but no one was confident about matching the color and the people who were wanted more than 3 times what I bought the set of wheels for so I decided to have them powdercoated silver to get the car rolling first. I'll probably do another set of weaves in gold eventually but now is not the time. I'm currently waiting on the wheels to return from the powdercoater which should be sometime this week.

I already have the tires ready though, Kuhmo XS 215/45 R16s from The Tire Rack. It was another frustration trying to find tires in the original 225/45 R16 size but another member had these and didn't look too narrow or stretched so I figured why not. I still would have liked the extra width for a little more grip but oh well. I may need to roll my fenders to fit them as they look kind of wide.

In the last two months I added a straight piped rear section which is loud but not terrible. Currently I have a Supersprint resonated center section in the mail and the straight pipes will come off and the stock muffler will return until I decide whether to go magnaflow or Stromung.

I also rebuilt the front calipers which cured a dragging right front caliper. In the process I had the calipers powdercoated black (but forgot to do the carriers, doh!). Finally, I just through a set of wheel studs on it from Bimmerworld, a much needed improvement!

Finally, here are some other things that are going on the car for 2010! Kopi reproduction euro grills from Abrahams Motorsport and a Mason strut tower brace from Vorshlag. My strut towers are too narrow for the bar so I'm going to remove a section from the bar it and weld it back together to make everything fit nicely.

Finally, I've been trying to sort out an oil leak issue and after tonight I believe it's all gone. Not the prettiest solution but it should be considerably less coated in oil so that's a plus.

I'll add more photos next week when the car is rolling and two weeks from now my friends and I are taking a cruising weekend to some mountain roads in North Carolina. I'll post pictures of the E30 with my buddies' E92 335i and E36 325is Turbo.

Cheers,
                  James
                  Last edited by Yamez RS; 02-06-2010, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Looking good James! I'm partial to Style 5's but I understand you wanting something different. Straight pipe looks nasty! Have you tried mounting the strut brace with the car off the ground in the front "with the wheels and tires installed"? The weight of the wheels and tires may stretch the towers "outward" enough to install the brace...common remedy....worth a try.

John

Comment

looks great man!! Keep us updated

and I do agree with 02fanatic my sparco strut bar was longer at first you kind of have to play around with it.
                      @slowprogress

Comment

Originally posted by JZM3 View Post
                        looks great man!! Keep us updated

and I do agree with 02fanatic my sparco strut bar was longer at first you kind of have to play around with it.
                        Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
                        Looking good James! I'm partial to Style 5's but I understand you wanting something different. Straight pipe looks nasty! Have you tried mounting the strut brace with the car off the ground in the front "with the wheels and tires installed"? The weight of the wheels and tires may stretch the towers "outward" enough to install the brace...common remedy....worth a try.

John
                        I'll look into that but I'm not a fan of doing anything too harsh to get it in there. Plus, cutting and welding it will make it easier to get in and out when that needs to happen. When I lift the car to do some exhaust work I'll give it a shot.

Otherwise here are some pictures with the new wheels, studs and grills. I've been driving it so much and just enjoying the car that I forgot to wash it before the pictures. The brake dust and dusk sunlight make the wheels look darker than they are but I really like the way the 16" E38 weaves look like on the car. Now I'm convinced I need a set in gold.

Comment

You're my twin...e38 weaves and Kuhmo XS's...

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                          E30 M3 Wiki
                          My Youtube Channel
                          E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

Originally posted by m3guru View Post
                            You're my twin...e38 weaves and Kuhmo XS's...
                            Isn't it great?! I have to thank you for posting pictures of your set, it convinced me that the 215s wouldn't look stretched on the E38 weaves. Now about matching up that ride height!

Cheers,
                            James
                            Last edited by Yamez RS; 02-15-2010, 03:59 PM.

Comment

No problem, glad it helped. Your car is very clean looking. Mine looks better at night. lol. What suspension are you going with?

My M3 Blog Updated Regularly!
                              E30 M3 Wiki
                              My Youtube Channel
                              E30 M3: 14 Days to Victory Page

Comment

Working...
                              X