No announcement yet.

Florida Alpine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While you are at it, and since all coolant hoses are not attached yet, I'd replace the coolant reservoir...mine is about as dark as yours and it's absolutely useless trying to see how much coolant is in there! LOL! Now would be the time to put in a nice new one!

Also, I'm not proficient with S14's but seems to me that you were lucky to get the engine to line up with the tranny already in place. I could never do it that way on an '02...I suppose you had enough wiggle room with the radiator/etc. out.

Anyway, nicely done...it's looking good!

John

Comment

John,

Thank you and I will price that up while all is out.

As for attaching it to the tranny, this is MUCH easier than doing it with an M20 in my 2002. 4 cylinders line up with about 8" to spare while my M20 has to go in crooked and then straighten out at the last second and hope it will pull onto the bell housing. Can't wait to get this one up and running ASAP!
      sigpic
      '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
      '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
      '03 Carbon M3
      '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Radiator and fan in, exhaust all bolted up, and just a couple more wires to go!

Got some wire loom wrap, an AFM to install, and then she may fire this weekend! Crossing fingers!
        sigpic
        '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
        '03 Carbon M3
        '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Dumb blurry phone camera, here is a better one with the airbox temporarily in with AFM I finally got for it! Also got some Tesa tape to wrap the harness as a finishing touch, started on the drivers side loom for now.

The mess of wires by the passenger headlight I have to figure out. Two are for the thermostat, one for the a/c and then the rest I am hoping are fog lights. I really need a good wiring diagram with colors listed!
          sigpic
          '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
          '03 Carbon M3
          '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Ok so I got everything hooked up, pictures coming soon, but the car has no spark or fuel and the ECU won't buzz on. I removed a cheap alarm that was on the car so I am thinking this may be the suspect. Time to trace more wires and see why this thing won't start up!
            sigpic
            '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
            '03 Carbon M3
            '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Trying to get it all started now that the engine is all in and complete, orange and silver relays kick on when I turn the key so that is a good sign!

Just a quick pic of the ECU. It doesn't seem to click on or buzz when the key comes on, so I am not getting any fuel or spark either. Just looked it up and this should be correct for an S14.

Found these three plugs under the drivers side dash. Two long skinny ones and the one round one. Are these 3 important to getting the car to start? I will continue to research as well. I also pulled some cheap 90's alarm out so I am thinking that's my culprit on why the car isn't getting power to the ECU. Tested the fuel pump and it pumps perfect.

Just found this and it looks like the far left one IS important. Any pics of where it plugs into?
              http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...derdash+wiring
              Last edited by M20Curtis; 02-28-2011, 03:19 AM.
              sigpic
              '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
              '03 Carbon M3
              '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Checking in late but I must say you must be very proud of the work you've done. I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon. Did you change all of the timing gear? In one of the assembly pics it looked like you still had the old rails in. The red wire is the alternator ground, vacuum elbow is for the fuel pressure regulator and those hoses are probably for the heater core circuit. Some cars had a recall done on them where the dealer installed a bypass valve. If your car had it done, then one of the hoses was spliced into two pieces and an extra hose added. Just something to be aware of.

download a pdf of the ETM for your car. It'll help you troubleshoot your electrical problem. The DME is correct but doesn't have an audible buzz if I remember correctly. How were the flywheel sensors? Hook them up the right way? Alarms typically don't interrupt the power to the DME but the ignition...so I highly doubt that's the cause. Those connectors probably aren't the cause either. One looks like a connector for the door gong. Did you check for spark? fuel?

May I suggest that since you went through the trouble of painting your engine bay, you should touch up the brake booster and replace the coolant tank. It would make a big difference.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

FIGURES! Here I am looking at the engine end of the car and the whole problem was the small battery wire broken off and tucked in the trunk lining. I have fixed it correctly and put it on a new eyelet and on the battery. She starts right up!

#2 and #4 are black while #1 and #3 are clean, I am thinking it fouled them on first startup. Hoping to clean them and see how she will run again tonight. I need to figure out why it won't rev.

Took the ECU apart looking for issues and this fell off the chip. Hmm, maybe I don't need a chip after all, fingers crossed!

More updates soon!!!
                  sigpic
                  '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                  '03 Carbon M3
                  '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Sure is looking pretty, now if only it would run as good as it looks. More ideas to try tonight! Time to check timing, another new set of plugs, and test that all injectors are firing. Fingers crossed! No more Subaru sound, pure S14 music!
                    sigpic
                    '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                    '03 Carbon M3
                    '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Nice job! And glad you got the no start issue figured out too. If you're like me you'll likely get it running well, and then worry about the cosmetic details in the engine bay...

But on that subject, a little trim paint on the black AFM cover, plus items others were suggesting go a long way towards an engine bay you want to show off!

Comment

It's alive!!! All is well, car will be registered and insured by tomorrow so I may actually get to drive it and see if it runs as good as this motor looks!

sigpic
                        '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                        '03 Carbon M3
                        '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Found a couple years of history on this poor car. If only I could go even farther and get some more of the TRUE story!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=157863
                          sigpic
                          '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                          '03 Carbon M3
                          '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Made it to the gas station without a hitch to fill her up and it's running perfect!

Just got to figure out where this lower left hose port connects! 7-11 got a small gas spill because of me! Whoops! Will be solved before it gets driven again. Any clue where it goes off hand? Haven't looked at diagrams yet.
                            Last edited by M20Curtis; 03-24-2011, 02:07 AM.
                            sigpic
                            '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                            '03 Carbon M3
                            '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Originally posted by M20Curtis View Post
                              Just got to figure out where this lower left hose port connects! 7-11 got a small gas spill because of me! Whoops! Will be solved before it gets driven again. Any clue where it goes off hand? Haven't looked at diagrams yet.
                              That should be connected to expansion tank which is at right side rear wheel well. Maybe someone has taken it off..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=16&fg=10

Comment

I figured, thank you, I am going to have to look if the tank is in there and then will try and get the part ASAP. Do you know by chance if it is used on a normal E30 as well? I could probably find one in a junkyard if possible. Thanks!
                                sigpic
                                '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                                '03 Carbon M3
                                '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Working...
                                X