No announcement yet.

Florida Alpine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you use plastiguage to check the bearing clearances during assembly?

I ask because a similar incident happened to a close friend of mine. The machine shop returned everything to him for assembly including a reground crank and new bearings. He assembled the motor without verifying (plastgauge, micrometer, etc.) the machine shops work...

Low and behold the bearing clearance was off and he ended up replacing the whole bottom end due to the bearing clearance being way too tight thereby damaging the crank and rods...

Sad.

I hope that things work out for you and you get her on the road and running ASAP. You have done a lot of hard work and I think that it shows. Although, sometimes it seems like things will never be done with all the small details. You will have a beautiful M3 to enjoy when you are finished...

Cheers,
    Erik

Comment

Erik, no, I unfortunately did not check the tolerances (like an idiot) but when I sent it to the best around, I figured he would do that. Thank you for the kind words and I sure hope to have it apart soon to see the issues and then get it fixed and back together ASAP!
      sigpic
      '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
      '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
      '03 Carbon M3
      '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Any updates?

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
        85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

The motor spun all 4 rod bearings. It will hopefully come apart tonight so the block can go back to the machine shop tomorrow if possible. He said he will figure out what failed but of course wouldn't take any blame. We'll see, hoping for the best, may be searching for a new crank by the end of the week.
          sigpic
          '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
          '03 Carbon M3
          '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Ouch. Should be interesting to see if he owns up to the clearance error or not. Sorry to hear this happened.

Comment

Motor is completely apart and shipped out to his shop, can't wait to get an update and get it back fixed!
              sigpic
              '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
              '03 Carbon M3
              '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

So I got the dreaded phone call. Supposedly there is sand everywhere within the motor which I don't quite understand. It was never run without a filter and all went together nicely. He claims the valve cover was sand or bead blasted, which left some sand, and then it all dumped into the motor but as far as I knew, it was only chemically stripped and then painted and polished. Know any good way to flush out the oil cooler and other passages? I am going to work on pulling the head apart so I can get all the valve train clean next while the bottom end is rebuilt and I now need to find a crank. Help!
                sigpic
                '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                '03 Carbon M3
                '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Next chapter to this mess. Bought another "machinable" crank, showed up junk, beyond specs for 20 over.

Got the motor to another reputable shop to try and find the issue of why it failed and there is NO sand in the motor whatsoever. SO there's one lie caught on the first shop...

As for tolerances, he said the rods were larger than they should be but didn't look TOO large to spin these like it did. Also, this new machine shop does many BMW motors and tells me that the rods are the last thing to get oil in a motor so if there were sand, it would kill the main bearings as well; which it hasn't.

So yes, still mad, trying to make a crank work, and then to deal with the first machine shop and get some money back for his incorrect work. This S14 really better fly, I already know she sounds awesome!
                  sigpic
                  '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                  '03 Carbon M3
                  '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

"New" crank is all fixed and good to go and now to just get the bottom end together. The new machine shop that has it is making sure all is going together perfectly so I hope to have her on the road before long. I haven't gotten the chance to even open up the awesome S14 yet and can't wait!

On another note, my 2002 finally has its new sound deadening, carpet, and console in , and I re-installed the seats and all gauges to get that all cleaned up later this week. Shiny orange 2002 pictures coming soon!
                    sigpic
                    '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                    '03 Carbon M3
                    '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      Good to hear it is going together perhaps you should get the recon shop to assemble the bottom end that way they do the measuring and will help guarantee there workmanship.

This link has about the orings and oil plugs in the oil system which can lead to low oil pressure problems and are some times overlooked at assembly.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51657
                      Dave.

E30 M3 1987
                      Mini Clubman GT
                      BMW E36 323 Msport
                      Toyota Corona
                      KTM 200EXC
                      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Thank you, I just forwarded that to them and yes, they are assembling the bottom end this time, better safe than sorry!
                        sigpic
                        '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                        '03 Carbon M3
                        '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Just looked back at all of this and I don't see a jet in that hole in the head and the block and head were both machined after this. What happens without that jet in there? YIKES!

sigpic
                          '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                          '03 Carbon M3
                          '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Finally got the bottom end all back, rebuilt, measured, new crank, new wrist pins, new rings... and all plastigauged to be perfect. I also had all timing equipment, the head, and anything that touched oil flushed and cleaned to new to make sure there are no shavings to come out and go in the "new" motor. It turns out the main contributing factor looks to be a slightly mis-machined new bearing set so the holes in the bearings barely lined up with those in the crank and oil was unable to get in there to lubricate. Enjoy the new built block pic and PILE of parts that will turn back into a motor soon. Progress pics as I get moving again!

sigpic
                            '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                            '03 Carbon M3
                            '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Whoa, wait a sec. Are we talking about defective GLYCO main bearings? unbelievable.

Comment

Yes sir, bearings when placed in the rods had the holes slightly misaligned and thus the bearings didn't get oiled. Awesome, huh? Wish I had a way to complain but not really sure what it would do!
                                sigpic
                                '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                                '03 Carbon M3
                                '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Working...
                                X