Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Alpine rebuild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    So we're talking rod bearings then. That is really strange. I haven't heard of this before. You'd think they take more care in making such a critical part.

    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


    Comment


    • #77
      Did I see pop out rear windows on the first few pics, never seen that before on a E30 M3.

      Comment


      • #78
        THey had them on 88 and some 89 models.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by Juffy View Post
          Did I see pop out rear windows on the first few pics, never seen that before on a E30 M3.
          Mine has them iirc.. It's a Nov '90 build. Been a long time since I stripped it though, so I could be wrong.
          Sterling M3 project..

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Jhonno View Post
            Mine has them iirc.. It's a Nov '90 build. Been a long time since I stripped it though, so I could be wrong.
            Nope, those c-pillar trims are unmarked dude, you must have had non pop-outs,

            Better option to my mind,

            Anyway, Awesome build

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by goosiegander View Post
              Nope, those c-pillar trims are unmarked dude, you must have had non pop-outs,

              Better option to my mind,

              Anyway, Awesome build
              I think that shows how long it has been since I last saw the damn thing..
              Sterling M3 project..

              Comment


              • #82
                Head is on, got some o-rings coming for the second half and she'll start to look like an S14 again!
                sigpic
                '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
                '03 Carbon M3
                '10 Tri-color S1000

                Comment


                • #83
                  Motor is almost a presentable working piece! I can't wait to drive this thing finally!

                  sigpic
                  '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                  '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
                  '03 Carbon M3
                  '10 Tri-color S1000

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Where did you pick up this car from? I think this is one i saw a couple years ago for sale.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      It used to be a New York car but has been in the Orlando, FL area for the last 4-5 years when a friend brought it down. Trying to clean it up and get it back to spec and on the road soon!
                      sigpic
                      '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                      '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
                      '03 Carbon M3
                      '10 Tri-color S1000

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        You may want to check the VIN I know there was a white E30 floating around on CraigsList with M3 conversion. I hope you were not misled.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by TheoneM3 View Post
                          You may want to check the VIN I know there was a white E30 floating around on CraigsList with M3 conversion. I hope you were not misled.

                          This is the car that someone was trying to pass off as an 318 with "m3 conversion" but clearly (to those in the know at least) it was a real M3 all along.
                          It does have some sort of NY re-issued VIN.

                          E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                            This is the car that someone was trying to pass off as an 318 with "m3 conversion" but clearly (to those in the know at least) it was a real M3 all along.
                            It does have some sort of NY re-issued VIN.
                            First, I do not understand how it could clearly be an M3....

                            This makes no sense to me, but i guess you know about the car.

                            I saw the car and the owner a couple years ago told me it was a full conversion including the roof and 5 lug.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Yes, this car does check out to be a true M3 but is re-titled in New York as a 318i. The trunk floor, roof and quarter welds, and all of the rest of the M3 bits are original to the car and EVERYTHING on the car is M3. I don't know the history past a few years ago but ALL of the parts on it are M3 and I can't wait to get the S14 screaming!

                              Where did you speak to a previous owner that said it was converted? In Orlando?
                              sigpic
                              '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                              '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
                              '03 Carbon M3
                              '10 Tri-color S1000

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by TheoneM3 View Post
                                First, I do not understand how it could clearly be an M3....

                                This makes no sense to me, but i guess you know about the car.

                                I saw the car and the owner a couple years ago told me it was a full conversion including the roof and 5 lug.
                                Oh yes, I remember this debate. The PO posted it up saying it was a 318i converted to full M3 specs when myself and others saw the pictures, it became more apparent that it was the other way around. It is more likely than not, a true M3 with 318i vins and title for whatever reason.

                                How did I deduce this from pictures? well by a number of not commonly known things. Obviously, the car is full M3 spec, so I looked for things that are unique to the 84-85 318i. Early E30's had an angled fuse box (this one is straight with later style acc port), no ABS (no ABS means no ABS or mount, yet there is clearly one in the pictures), no cruise control? (there's a mount in the pictures), had carpeted speaker panels instead of plastic covers, no premium sound, no third brake light, different rear speaker deck, white headliner, different seat belts and recepticles, no mount for coolant reservior, different charcoal canister, O2 sensor light on the dash, etc, etc. There are so many little details that just wouldn't be changed over.

                                If I was the one who changed the vins over, I'd be telling people it's a 318i with M3 conversion too. *wink*
                                Last edited by Reelizmpro; 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM.

                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X