Florida Alpine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M20Curtis View Post
    Motor is almost a presentable working piece! I can't wait to drive this thing finally!

:woohoo: very nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
      Oh yes, I remember this debate. The PO posted it up saying it was a 318i converted to full M3 specs when myself and others saw the pictures, it became more apparent that it was the other way around. It is more likely than not, a true M3 with 318i vins and title for whatever reason.

How did I deduce this from pictures? well by a number of not commonly known things. Obviously, the car is full M3 spec, so I looked for things that are unique to the 84-85 318i. Early E30's had an angled fuse box (this one is straight with later style acc port), no ABS (no ABS means no ABS or mount, yet there is clearly one in the pictures), no cruise control? (there's a mount in the pictures), had carpeted speaker panels instead of plastic covers, no premium sound, no third brake light, different rear speaker deck, white headliner, different seat belts and recepticles, no mount for coolant reservior, different charcoal canister, O2 sensor light on the dash, etc, etc. There are so many little details that just wouldn't be changed over.

If I was the one who changed the vins over, I'd be telling people it's a 318i with M3 conversion too. *wink*
      I checked over a few of these things also and definitely agree, it is an M3. If I were the one swapping the VIN, this car is a 318i, but for me, as far as I know, I bought a 318i, legal through the state of New York and now Florida, and I am going to drive the most killer 318i conversion ever!
      sigpic
      '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
      '88 Alpine M3 - sadly SOLD
      '03 Carbon M3
      '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Originally posted by M20Curtis View Post
        I checked over a few of these things also and definitely agree, it is an M3. If I were the one swapping the VIN, this car is a 318i, but for me, as far as I know, I bought a 318i, legal through the state of New York and now Florida, and I am going to drive the most killer 318i conversion ever!

Why change the vin? Wreck? Rebuild? Import? How and why? Thanks..

Stick with it Curtis....I had the same crap happen to me on my henna....but I fixed it and sold it...bought a restored one...easier on the heart and stomach
        Last edited by KDAWG97M3; 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KDAWG97M3 View Post
          Why change the vin? Wreck? Rebuild? Import? How and why? Thanks..

Its not that hard to figure out. This car is an M3 and was stolen at some point in its life and somewhere along the line someone was able to title it as 318is. (although there was no 318is for the year that it is registered as)
          Now it has a re-issues NY VIN and all is legal.
          There are two big messes of threads here and r3vlimited a few years back when the then owner was trying to sell it as a 318 with "m3 conversion".
          He was quickly called out and went away.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

Comment

I couldn't figure out why he was so insistent that the car was a 318i! We were like...bro, you should be happy, it's a real M3. He was like NO, it's a 318i with M3 conversion lol. Even after all the evidence we presented to him...he still insisted it was a converted 318i. That in itself was a little strange to me.

BTW, none of the previous owners had pictures or documentation of the conversion. No proof any conversion was ever done. How do you do a 318i to M3 conversion and not take a single picture?
            Last edited by Reelizmpro; 11-16-2011, 09:53 PM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Well what do you expect from a guy driving a full caged e46 M3 with full trunk stereo system?
              The HIN crowd never makes good decisions.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

Comment

I know this uncomfortable so sorry, but how does this car not get picked up by the police...I don't care..I am more curious how this done and not caught..oh well.

Comment

The cars VIN plates have been on the car MANY years if ever swapped. One look at the cowl and the door jamb and it looks factory, even to many trained eyes. I own it legally, haven't done any shady things with the car and it is registered in my name as an '84 318i. Picked up my oil pump today so hope to have the motor completely assembled and ready for drop in this weekend. Running soon and I can't wait to hear it!
                  sigpic
                  '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                  '03 Carbon M3
                  '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

Up and running strong! 175 miles down without a flaw! Got a muffler installed, working on stereo bits, and dropped early this morning for tint removal. More updates soon as she gets cleaned up more daily!

sigpic
                    '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                    '03 Carbon M3
                    '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

• Man, I'm happy for you Curtis. You definitely earned it
                      1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

• Hi Mike,

Your efforts have to commended looking at the photos how is was then you brought it with a boot load of S14, now you have a sweet running engine and a nice looking car.
                        Well done.

Dave.

E30 M3 1987
                        Mini Clubman GT
                        BMW E36 323 Msport
                        Toyota Corona
                        KTM 200EXC
                        Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

• Congratulations Curtis. Way to hang in there and get it sorted. Enjoy!

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

• A minor thing, but I think the door handles would look much better in black. I have never liked color matched ones on E30's.
                            1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

• Fishbowl again, tint removed! I will start looking into what black handles look like and may add that to my to-do list. Starting to come along nicely and be a really nice driving car!

png image hosting
                              sigpic
                              '72 Inka M20-Turbo 2002
                              '03 Carbon M3
                              '10 Tri-color S1000

Comment

• Hey Curtis, it's Jeff from Tampa who did the blogging last year at Rolex. I JUST found this thread, I wish I knew I could of helped out a while ago! Wll you be back this year to Rolex with this? I may take mine out if ready in time...good job staying on top of it all, would of been a lot for most enthusiasts.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X