Some pics of the progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics of the progress

As some of you may know I've decided to get a respray done on my car. It started as couple of new bumpers and now it's progressed into the whole thing. New bumpers due to a very minor bumper destroying accident in the fall. The car has been in the shop all winter. I'm having the windshield pulled for minor rust repair, new windshield will follow. New front and rear euro spec bumpers (no side marker lights) EVOII lip, EVO3 spoiler, and all the panels are getting repainted. To help the guys out at the body shop I've been over there the last two days stripping off the grills, door trim, side skirts...

They are going to paint it next week. It's staying the original color, sterlingsilber. The paint really wasn't that bad to begin with. But some of it is covered by insurance. Some by the body shop (they owed me a favor) and I'm giving them about $1000. So basically, for $1000 I'm getting a full respray. I'm quite happy about this and anticipated the look of the car very much when it gets out of the shop. Here are some pics of it in it's current state. The bondo on the rear fender is from a dent from the falls accident. There was a dent on the drivers door they repaired. And that's it.

It should be done around the first or second week of april. They've had the car in the shop since Dec. 1 and are taking their sweet time about it. Of the $1000 I'm paying out, $500 of that is deductible to my insurance. The owner of the body shop is giving me a great deal, partially because they've been a little bit slow, but I wasn't upset about it. In colorado the winter is long and I figured it was free winter storage. It's going to look so sweet when it's out of the shop, I'm really excited about this.

Dave

wow ....... it's going to look great when you're finished. Ever since picking up the car, I've been thinking about doing a re-spray, or a completely different color. I have a couple of rust spots that need attention, so painting is definitely going to be in the future. I would jump at the chance to do it for $1000, that's a great deal.

Do you remember off hand how much the Euro-spec bumpers cost? I have them on the E46 and love the look. It's worth every penny, a lot of them, but it really cleans up the way it looks.

Thanks!

Good luck with the project,

Comment

Sounds like a good list of add ons. Post some before after pics later. Good luck!

Comment

hey harold, the euro bumpers cost $679 for one of them and about $749 for the other. I can't remember which one is which, but I want to say the rear was more expensive. When I was hit, both bumpers tore, so I got the new ones from insurance. A good deal either way

Dave

Comment

Looks good! If you don't mind my changing the topic a bit, how much does a new windshield go for? I'm busy collecting parts for a repaint/rust repair as well.

thanks,
          JPM

88 M3 - 04 LS430 - 03 SL500 - 95 E320 - 70 Mini Cooper
          RC Wheels by Team Pogi

like us on facebook

Comment

I got mine from maximillians for $215, easily the best price I could find. It's a genuine Sekurit with the tint stripe on top. Exactly the same as the original one from 1990 that is coming out of the car.

Comment

If you don't want completely origional. I paid $250 installed for a new windshield

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

Looks awesome Dave!

Do not buy from "Low Level"!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
                  hey harold, the euro bumpers cost $679 for one of them and about $749 for the other. I can't remember which one is which, but I want to say the rear was more expensive. When I was hit, both bumpers tore, so I got the new ones from insurance. A good deal either way

Dave
                  You got a hell-of-a-deal on the bumpers. Front lists for $865 & the rear is $1050- although you are putting on the Evo bumpers I'm not sure they'd be cheaper than US stock ones- Awesome deal on 'em anyway

Strip everything you can off the car prior to it being painted- quarter glass, decklid, hood, even sunroof. Prep work is the key!!

Can't wait to see the finished product

Looks good Dave!!
                  Don McAdams
                  1988 E30 M3
                  "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

is the windshield maximillians carries factory original? i was quoted something like 900 for the oem windshield.

and wasnt it also true that the euro, or perhaps one of the evos windshield (or was it rear or side windows?) was thinner to save weight?

does anybody know if a dealer could get this, and how much it may be? specific lbs saved?

it would be great if any of these could be answered, thank you very much.

Comment

i'm assuming the maximillians one is factory original. It's got the BMW logo on it and it's made my Sekurit who makes a lot of BMW glass.

Thanks TJ and Don, I've been over there removing more stuff the last couple of days. It's pretty much stripped down now. We still need to take off the hood and trunk, but that stuff comes off pretty quickly. If the paint comes out looking half as good as your Don I'll be in good shape. I've never seen another M3 shine like yours did.

Comment

hey 1990m3, what are you doing with the old windshield?
                        1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
                        1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Comment

if you are not interested in selling the old windshield do you have any info on maximillians. I have been looking online and have come up with nothing,

thanks
                          1988 E30 M3 2.3(sold)
                          1988 Celica alltrac turbo (on its way to 300hp)

Comment

the old one actually came out about two days ago in one piece

It has a rock chip that isn't so bad on the drivers side. I'll sell it to you if you want it. Maximillians is 800.950.2002

Actually, I'd rather not sell you mine only because I really have no idea how to pack it up properly. Call maximillians, let me know if you still want mine, I'll figure something out

Dave

Comment

what condition is your front bumper in? I'd like to get a junky one that is still OK structurally on the bottom to fab that splitter that I was running for a while

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                              they are not idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X