Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE coilovers on my M3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GE coilovers on my M3

    Unsettled...





    Just installed a new coil over kit (350F/580R) by GE (German Engineering aka Einstein57). Here are some pics with the front and rear adjusters all the way down, unmodded strut tubes and Bilstein sports. Tires are oversized with 225/50/16 on 16x7.5" E28 M5 wheels.
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM.

    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH



  • #2
    Nice!

    What camber plates are you using?

    Comment


    • #3
      Have you trimmed the bump stops on the struts?
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black -
      AST 4100 500/500, Fikse Profil 13
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      - GC
      1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - S50B30,GC/Koni, BBS RX, Peerless Skid, Sway
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - Basket Case

      Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd
      272 cam, Korman driveshaft, R888s, H&R/Bilstein

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        looks perfect height so now I know what I need to do .Only thing I don't like is the wheel profile looks to thick the tire would look better with a 45 tire. So pm me how much it cost to do it?did you do it your self?If so how much to have you do my car?ow you have 2 m3's?is that archies car he sold?
        I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me



        Comment


        • #5
          Doesn't look to bad at all... How does it ride without the strut tubes shortened? I'm very tempted to get some now...

          Comment


          • #6
            It might just be me, but I'd say that car is over lowered. Check your roll centers, if they are too low, you could run into spring rate issues and other handling issues. The good news is that if it is, its easy to fix. I'm not knocking it, just making an observation.

            Will
            Last edited by RAD2LTR; 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM. Reason: added to the post.
            '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
            '88 M3

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Crank View Post
              Nice!

              What camber plates are you using?
              I'm using GE camber plates as well.

              Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              Have you trimmed the bump stops on the struts?
              I didn't and I don't plan on running this low. Just wanted to see how low it would go without cutting the perches.

              Originally posted by Carfantiti View Post
              looks perfect height so now I know what I need to do .Only thing I don't like is the wheel profile looks to thick the tire would look better with a 45 tire. So pm me how much it cost to do it?did you do it your self?If so how much to have you do my car?ow you have 2 m3's?is that archies car he sold?
              Yeah, the tires are 225/50 instead of 225/45. No, this isn't Archie's but another car I picked up and have been working on.

              Originally posted by airkhin View Post
              Doesn't look to bad at all... How does it ride without the strut tubes shortened? I'm very tempted to get some now...
              It's a bit too low with these oversized tires but rides surprisingly well. Not super stiff but stiff enough. I'm sure the large tires have something to do with it.

              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


              Comment


              • #8
                Can you post some pics of the struts? I'd like to see how they're assembled.

                Are these just spring kits that slide down onto the strut housing where the stock springs go?

                What's the difference between the GE springs, and the Ground Control coilovers?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I didn't take any pictures of the struts...sorry. I was in a rush to get it finished and my hands were dirty. Like GC's, the coilover kit comes with 4 sleeves/adjusters and 4 linear coils. The springs are made by Hyperco. I believe they make springs for AST coilovers as well. I didn't want to cut or modify the front struts but I also wanted to be able to go lower than H&R Races in the front and have the ability to adjust the ride height.

                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                  85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                  91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Any particular reason for your spring rates? I have 350#f and tckline suggested I go with 400 in the rear.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      TC normally tries to maintain a ratio close to 80% between F and rear so since he does not have a 437lbs spring he is telling you to go with less spring.

                      With 350/550 I am curious haw the car behaves to weight transfer and throttle steer in high speed corners. You might want to loosen or disconnect the rear sway with that much of a difference F:R. I could be totally wrong but this setup might want to oversteer a bit more than stock.

                      What are your alignment settings most specifically rear toe?
                      1989 e30 m3 Zinnoberrot/Grey 256k Track/M3T
                      1991 e30 m3 Alpinweiß/Schwartz 81k Garage Queen
                      1991 325iX Diamantschwarz/M-Tech 110k Snowmobile (For Sale)
                      1991 325ic Macau Blau/M-Tech 178k M-Tech Cabrio 5spd (For Sale)
                      2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Vortec, Alison Tranny, 4.10 gears

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by junkyard_sal View Post
                        TC normally tries to maintain a ratio close to 80% between F and rear so since he does not have a 437lbs spring he is telling you to go with less spring.

                        With 350/550 I am curious haw the car behaves to weight transfer and throttle steer in high speed corners. You might want to loosen or disconnect the rear sway with that much of a difference F:R. I could be totally wrong but this setup might want to oversteer a bit more than stock.

                        What are your alignment settings most specifically rear toe?
                        I haven't gotten the car aligned as of yet because I want to get the right spring rates. I am running st suspension sway bars.22mmf 19mmr.


                        Barry, when you get the chance, what are the free lengths of the springs on the ge coilovers?

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Now that you've had this setup for a little while, how do you like it? Still happy with the spring rates, at the front and at the rear?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post
                            Any particular reason for your spring rates? I have 350#f and tckline suggested I go with 400 in the rear.
                            For tracked car, rear spring rate shall be around 50% more than front. Therefore those ratings of 350/580 will be just a bit oversteery, but nothing dangerous.
                            I run 425/725 and love it.

                            350/400 will give you a veru understeery car. Perhaps fine for an 36, but not for an e30.


                            [email protected]

                            1969 2002 racecar
                            1989 M3 racecar
                            e39 Touring

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So how much does this kit run? I googled him and he looks to be in LA, so I'm guessing I'll save on shipping.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X