Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My E30 M3 Restoration! My Hawaiian E30 M3 Project!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My E30 M3 Restoration! My Hawaiian E30 M3 Project!

This is my restoration thread for my 1988 E30 M3. I'm a 19 year old college student from Vancouver,BC Canada I'm an avid BMW enthusiast. I have a 98 M3 and an 89 325IX. I also work at the local BMW Dealership. I was looking for a project car and I stumbled across this e30 M3. I bought it for cheap as it was very rusty in the front end (A-pillars, windshield cowl, rockers etc) It’s kinda sad someone would let one of these cars rot like this but I’m bringing it back to life and as of right now its rust free! It has 92,000 miles and runs excellent. The interior is in great shape. This car has spent its whole life in Hawaii until just this past year when I bought it. It was bought new at BMW of Honolulu and stayed on the big island for a while and then was on Maui. I found it on Seattle Craigslist. I guess they thought they would have an easier time selling it on the mainland than Hawaii so the Maui owner shipped it over to his cousin in Seattle. I’ve been working on it for over a year now and its almost ready for paint! I hope to have it finished in time for Bimmerfest!

Here are some pics of when I first bought the car. LOL@ the Walmart fog lights, Weird Kidney grill and E46 Side gills….

First Thing I did was remove the Ugly Fogs….

Look at this hack job! This is how they wired the fogs lol!

The sunroof panel was rotten! I’m lucky the rest of the roof was rust free except for a small spot. I took a trip to the local auto wrecker and got another panel for
    $40

I started off doing a little maintence to the car since it had a bit of a steering shimmy at 60 mph and it idled at 2000 rpm.

New Tie rods, Control arms, Powerflex bushings, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, Throttle position sensor, slave cylinder and tranny mounts….

Tranny Mounts completely shot! Replaced with E24 Mounts.

Wire brushed the calipers and repainted black.

Limp Dick Slave…

Had to remove this muffler! Who puts a shitty cherry bomb muffler on an E30 M3?!?!?!?

Replaced it with a Stainless Magnaflow unit for now. I’ll be putting in a stromung cat back this year.

New Tires. Contenential Extreme Contact DW. The plan right now for wheels is to run the E34 M5 wheels with the turbine covers I picked up recently and down the road I would like a nice 3 piece wheel like a Hamann PG1, ACS Type 1, OZ futura etc…

Decided to clean up the Valve cover and give it a repaint with VHT Crinkle finish….

Baked it in the oven and it turned out real nice.
    Last edited by RXPX; 12-26-2011, 02:10 PM.
    sigpic

I decided to go the Euro tow hook cover route with Evo Airbox to replace the homemade cold air intake thing the previous owner made for the car…..

Doing it right with all the proper pieces!

The Tear down Begins! I gutted the whole interior to get at all the rust!

Chipping away at the tar sound deadening. To my surprise the floors were not actually that bad just in the corners near the firewall…

Starting to drill out the spot welds on the windshield cowl.

All drilled out and finally removed!

Old cowl vs. New cowl!

Now its time to cut out all the rust on the A-Pillars. I ordered the new A-pillars and Cowl from Blunt tech and surprisingly they were fairly cheap.

I took the die grinder with a 3m rolex bristle disc and took off all the surface rust beneath the cowl. I then gave it the rust mort treatment, POR15 , re seam sealed it, Epoxy primed then painted Lach Silver.

After all the rust was removed and surfaces prepped with Por15 and Epoxy primer I spot welded the Cowl in place.

After that was done I cut the required A-pillar sections. I had to be very precise here because it was to be perfect.

Tacking the A-Pillar piece in Place…

Getting there!

BEFORE.

AFTER! All finished off and epoxy primed.

Now I had to move on the the rockers. Drivers side was really rotten! I cut pieces off a doner e30 shell.

After welding in the donor piece!

The passenger side rocker panel was not as bad as the drivers side but it was still rotten. I doner piece was welded in just like the drivers side.

After I finished the rockers I moved onto the rust hole inside the sunroof….

Cut out all the rust and welded in fresh metal then POR15

Last edited by RXPX; 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

The trunk had a rust hole as well. Cut out all the rust and welded in fresh metal, POR15 then epoxy primed. ( Still need to cut a small notch in the repair to replicate the factory line)

Took some time off body work and picked up an Evo Wing with CF flap and some style 5’s. The style 5’s were a little too Yellow for my liking so I’ll be running the e34 m5 wheels for now. I’m also going to pick up an evo2 lip before paint.

Back to Work… I took my die grinder and bristle discs and took off the surface rust and epoxy primed the front end and cleaned up the wheel wells and undercoated them with 3M body shutz then painted Lach Silver.

That’s it for now. All I pretty much need to do is start sanding it down for paint in the next month or so. I still need to do a little work on the fenders since I welded in new metal where the E46 Gills once were. I’ve also sold off the E36 Vader interior that came with the car and I now have original E30 M3 interior. A black rear seat and Grey fronts so my plan is to get the front seats professionally died black and find some black doorcards to replace the original grey ones. I will update as this project progresses!

sigpic

Comment

In my eyes you are what every dying E30 M3 needs. Kudos to a guy saving another M3 from the junkyard...Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted!!
        sigpic

1988 Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

Now that's dedication there bud. Rock on with your bad self!

Jake

Comment

19? Really impressive work. Who taught you how to restore cars? At 19 I couldn't even shadowline my 85 325e right. Awesome job.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
              19? Really impressive work. Who taught you how to restore cars? At 19 I couldn't even shadowline my 85 325e right. Awesome job.
              The Internet taught me lol. I'm a self learner and always have been a diy'er. Most people would think my dad or someone else would have taught me but my Dad isn't even into cars.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shadye30 View Post
                In my eyes you are what every dying E30 M3 needs. Kudos to a guy saving another M3 from the junkyard...Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted!!

+1 Wow!!! Good Job Bro. Saved another one!

Good for you!
                1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Brilliant work and you are doing and top marks for saving another M3 there is nothing like getting in there and having a go.

Not sure if you have thought about it but sometimes rust can return in the repair areas due heat burning off the paint coating behind the repair area.

For this reason it is good to spray something like zinc paint and then LPS3 or fish oil etc behind the repair.
                  Dave

http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBA...1984&P=7019546
                  http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp...223&page_num=1

E30 M3 1987
                  Mini Clubman GT
                  BMW E36 323 Msport
                  Toyota Corona
                  KTM 200EXC
                  Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Good job! Nice work saving that M3!
                    And props to you for doing all the metal work yourself.
                    What are your plans for the car?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

Comment

The quality of the repair work is something a person who spent
                      a career in body repairs would be proud of.
                      At 19 years of age that's truly gifted.
                      That car is lucky it found you.

Comment

Had you just removed those ugly fog lights and side grills, I would have said good job. But setting to work on saving another car , fantastic work.
                        Don't think I've ever seen a cowl panel rust so far up into the A panel like that. Nice to see all the rust being cut out and replaced.
                        This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Amazing work and atention to detail! Bringing this car back to life and modifying it way it should be modified is fantastic! Keep us posted and lots of pictures please!!!
                          Photobucket

Comment

Thanks for all the complements guys!

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                            Good job! Nice work saving that M3!
                            And props to you for doing all the metal work yourself.
                            What are your plans for the car?
                            My plans for the car right now is pretty much mostly stock with some Evo bits and a nice set of 3 Piece wheels like some Hamann Pg1's , Schnitzer type 1's something along those lines. As for the engine I'll just be doing a bunch of preventative maintenance after all the body work is completed like the entire cooling system, S50 Chain tensioner, plugs,wires etc. I'll do a JC chip too.

Originally posted by Dave @nz View Post
                            Not sure if you have thought about it but sometimes rust can return in the repair areas due heat burning off the paint coating behind the repair area.

For this reason it is good to spray something like zinc paint and then LPS3 or fish oil etc behind the repair.
                            Dave
                            Thanks for the Advice. Behind all the weld areas I sprayed 3m Weld thru primer and lots of POR15 and Epoxy primer and to finish it off I sprayed 3M rust Fighter inside the A pillars and the rockers. It's like a oily waxy coating meant for rockers and tough to reach places. So hopefully it will last and not rust anytime soon.
                            Last edited by RXPX; 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice work! Make sure you spray that weather proof rubberized spray in can under those fenders and undercarriage, good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X