Airbox pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbox pictures

You guys have heard me talk about my airbox but I haven't really posted any photos. Well, today I finally got around to snapping them.

Enjoy!

/// M3NTAL Kev

looks good kev, where did you get that rubber hose that attaches to the plenum? Is that black silicone that you used to seal the pipe into the airbox?

What do you think about running alpha/n with a pipe like that coming out of the plenum, and then putting a cone filter where the airbox is, and making a heat shield to seal off an area around the intake horn in the bumper and the cone filter.

Your SIG is tweaking me out, don't know why

dave

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
      looks good kev, where did you get that rubber hose that attaches to the plenum? Is that black silicone that you used to seal the pipe into the airbox?

What do you think about running alpha/n with a pipe like that coming out of the plenum, and then putting a cone filter where the airbox is, and making a heat shield to seal off an area around the intake horn in the bumper and the cone filter.

Your SIG is tweaking me out, don't know why

dave
      The Rubber hose is actually a rad hose from a tractor (18 wheeler). Its 4" all the way around and is pretty strong yet flexible.

The black stuff used to seal the box is urethane (windshield sealer?). That stuff dries really tough!

I was going to do the cone filter bit but the filter I had (huge) was needed by a friend so I've put that off until a new one comes.

As for the SIG, what's tweaking you?

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I've never noticed one of these either, although I've never really looked. I'll need to fab something like this this spring (looking more and more like summer now).

Also, why'd you cut the bottom of a box? Couldn't you fab a similarly large airhorn at the bottom?

Thanks for posting these up.

Chris
        Last edited by Chris F.; 04-16-2004, 02:43 PM.

Comment

the baby driving.

I'm thinking I'm going to try the cone setup when I order my alpha/n next month. That's why I ask. Just trying to figure out if there is one particular reason or another to do it a certain way without having the CF airbox.

My other idea was basically what you did. I just figure the cone can suck in even more air than that little inlet at the bottom of the airbox. But since you cut it, which I didn't think of, it might have a very similar effect. Looks good, I'm glad to see your pics, gives me a better idea of what the finished product looks like for those of us without the CF airbox

How come you switched to the tractor hose instead of keeping the stocker? Stiffness?

Dave
          Last edited by 1990m3; 04-16-2004, 02:45 PM.

Comment

dave
            Like this? I used this setup during the winter for the Link and the MAXX till I got my CF Airbox.

T

Comment

yeah pretty much like that. Is that PVC piping? Did it work well for you, you think?

Comment

the baby driving.

How come you switched to the tractor hose instead of keeping the stocker? Stiffness?

Dave
                I thought I'd add the baby driving since we're expecting a little guy for the middle of May.

As for not using the stock elbow, first and most importantly to me, the stock elbow goes from 4" down to 3". That is a serious restriction in my view. Research shows that the S14 was setup to have at least 4" diameter intake from the factory and that the AFM and airbox were "add ons" that ended up detuning it.

The math works out that the 4 t-bodies surface area is the same as the 4" opening to the plenum. So going down to 3" would be a reduction in flow, IMO.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

yeah pretty much like that. Is that PVC piping? Did it work well for you, you think?
                  Yep, 4" PVC cut a little to make the turn, with a toilet flange to mount the Mustang Cobra cone kit. Woked great for me. No resonating issues or anything. I never logged the intake airtemp though to compare with the CF airbox. I should have just to see.

T

Comment

As for not using the stock elbow, first and most importantly to me, the stock elbow goes from 4" down to 3". That is a serious restriction in my view. Research shows that the S14 was setup to have at least 4" diameter intake from the factory and that the AFM and airbox were "add ons" that ended up detuning it.
                    I didn't realize there was a diameter change, I guess I never looked at the stock elbow that closely. Congratulations on the baby too.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris F.
                      Also, why'd you cut the bottom of a box? Couldn't you fab a similarly large airhorn at the bottom?
                      I could have, but I made the decision to cut the box at 10pm the night before a track event. Needless to say it was a quick job. I don't think I'm going to invest any more time into since I'd rather get the CF airbox.

I guess I could make a similar airhorn for the bottom; that might be a nice little project.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I made my bypass while still retaining the factory airbox and internal horn using a factory airmeter part as an adapter. The middle metal piece is just 3" exhaust tubing. I can get the part number for the adapter if anyone wants it.

Thankfully I have a CF airbox on its way, so I wont need this setup for much longer.

Comment

Working...
                        X