Update on Grey M3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Grey M3

Finally have some time on my hands now that I'm getting out of the Army, but still dislocated from the M3. Been able to install IE Race springs, Z3 shirt shifter, Recaro's, and a Nardi wheel. Like others, I'm experiencing some lift in the front end...don't know what else to call it as I know the suspension functions the way it should, but I would still like to lower the front some more to even the look out. Cosmetic only, I know, but I'd still like to balance the car out. Here is a side shot to see the difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	847144

And another

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	847145

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	847146

Look at all that Yellow Lab hair! Ugh...it is kept in a barn, need to find it a garage ASAP.

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	847147

I'm researching cutting springs and thinking that is the way to go with the front springs, maybe a coil, or even a half at first. I'm also having some running issues...I'm sure many of us have encountered the cold start issues where the car hesitates and idles very roughly during the first 2.5 minutes. Well, since fixing a broken ECU last week, the car runs like previously stated 24-7...idles rough, hesitates under load, and just all around roughness. Currently delving deep into the search. Cheers!
    Attached Files

But here's my DD in Colorado, fast and fun. @ 14,000 ft on Pikes Peak.

Name:	DSC_0603.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	844319

...in it's element ready for some BC skiing.

Name:	photo 1 (2).jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	844320

Comment

Nice cars

I would think twice about cutting the front springs.
      You increase the stiffness of a spring when you cut a coil (unless it is a coil which is designed to bind).
      Then you may be messing up the spring rates F/R for some cosmetic "balance".

I would recommend raising the rear with some thicker spacer.

When you measure the rideheight (wheel center to upper panel cutout), the factory alignment is 25mm more in the front.
      From my experience the car drives nicer if adjusted with the front 25mm higher.

Thomas
      sigpic

Comment

Thomas - Thanks for the info...is it possible to use the front spring spacers on the rear springs? Might go that route...thanks again - Hugh

Comment

Here is another alternative..you can remove the front upper spring pads and cut off a dead coil and see how it looks..You can also use E90 drophats to lower is some more..
          sigpic

1988 Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

...is it possible to use the front spring spacers on the rear springs?
            Hugh,

No its not, the rear springs have very different shape.
            For testing, you could also simply put a huge diameter spacer disk (aprox 120mm outer 50mm inner diameter -->need to check that number by measuring yourself!) between the spring space and chassis.

Thomas
            sigpic

Comment

Thomas - Thanks again for the info. I think your info will be even more helpful once I can actually walk outside to work on the car!

Comment

Working...
              X