Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My modified Sport Evo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My modified Sport Evo

    Hi guys,
    I've just got my Sport Evo back after it was modified.
    It has:
    MoTec M4 ECU
    284 / 272 cams
    Miltek fully stainless exhaust
    Existing mods:
    Adjustable suspension
    Half cage, harnesses, fire extinguisher (!)
    Bimmerworld brake cooling kit, braided hoses, Pagid Blue pads
    It has had the chain and tensioner replaced. It has done 100K miles. No air-con, no sunroof, no electric windows, not even a radio!
    Here are some pics:

    My car at the Oulton Park track day this Saturday:



    My recently painted engine cover:



    Rolling road read out for power:



    And for torque:



    We know that the rollers we used are probably 10 BHP on the conservative side compared to other people's equipment here in the UK. Bexley's rollers measured it at 252 BHP at 6900 RPM and 200 lbft torque at 4900 RPM. I reckon that the power output would be 260+ BHP on some other rolling roads. But I'm not bothered about that, the car absolutely flies. It feels astonishing.
    I am particularly happy with the Miltek exhaust. I think it is the best exhaust currently available for the E30 M3. It has a perfect exhaust note, and it isn't too loud......unless you give it some revs.
    Cheers,
    John.
    John W
    1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
    1990 E30 M3
    http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

  • #2
    Awesome, you have the stuff I eventually want to do to my M3. How do you like the Motec setup? Did you go with a kit, or did you go the total custom route? BTW, who installed and tuned your system! and what kind of intake are you running with alpha N. As you can I have a thousand questions for you.

    Any noticeable differences besides the blistering acceleration.. such as drivability, quicker throttle response... etc...


    You are running my dream setup!

    Jin
    "has fingers crossed...and anxiously waiting for two more rims to arrive from germany"

    90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
    97 Porsche Carrera S
    13 Audi S6
    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

    Comment


    • #3
      The intake system? Well, no carbon airbox I'm affraid. It just has a big fat blue Samco hose and ITG air filter going into the standard air plenum.
      The car feels much faster than before the mods. It had 225 BHP before. The charactar of the car has changed for the better. It wants to be driven at above 5000 RPM, but it is fine at lower engine revs. It revs noticably more smoothly. When it comes on cam above 4500 RPM it is like revving a motorbike.
      My system was installed by Bexley Motorworks in Bexley Heath, London. They are experts at mapping E30 M3's, and they have put hot cams into lots of cars. Smashing blokes too. The 2 guys that own the place each own an E30 M3.
      John W
      1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
      1990 E30 M3
      http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

      Comment


      • #4
        I can see my car is going to have to go on an even bigger diet to compete with your increased power....!!! but I'm not ditching the sunroof or the elecy windows...:idea: nope, will have to get myself a carbonfibre front bonnet methinks

        I'm itching for the next track day already....

        https://www.facebook.com/BMDmotorsport
        https://twitter.com/BMDracing

        Comment


        • #5
          Or I could just learn to drive better than you
          https://www.facebook.com/BMDmotorsport
          https://twitter.com/BMDracing

          Comment


          • #6
            Ah, a challenge from the gentleman. Where were you thinking for the next track day?
            John W
            1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
            1990 E30 M3
            http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

            Comment


            • #7
              John, your motor sounds awesome. What dyno did you use? As you know, we tend to use dynojets over here, which are overly optimistic sompared to the dynos in Australia for sure and perhaps England as well.

              You put in a MoTec and an Alpha N. Given the other mods, this sort of confirms my thinking that tuning with a full standalone aftermarket ECU always yields a lot more power. As you know, most of the people here in the States still use chips generally with a few notable exceptions. And, most people over here with youm engine mods make about 210-235 rwhp and some of these guys have gone with 11-13:1 pistons, flowed heads and other more extreme mods. I would guess that you picj up about 30+ rwhp by tuning with the MoTec to a barely lean A/F ratio? What do you shoot for, if I can ask?

              I use a Haltech E6K on one of my cars and would really like to try the MoTec on an M3. I suspect 275 rwhp in a very streetable tune would be readily achievable with a bit more compression and head work?

              Nice...

              Comment


              • #8
                where is this miltek exhaust available from? is it north america friendly?



                looks better than it runs :/

                Comment


                • #9
                  John hasn't said his M3 has Alpha N fitted... the MoTeC unit replaces the ECU and the AFM so means you can run whatever intake you like. I believe Alpha N does something similar and is used when fiting a carbon airbox...

                  Do you US guys get MoTeC over there? It's basically the dogs dangalies as far as engine managament goes... used in all the World Rally cars etc.

                  mazenz - drop Milltek an eMail and ask if they can suply you direct... I'm pretty confident they will! http://www.milltek.co.uk

                  BTW, nice figures there John!

                  Jon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My modified Sport Evo

                    Originally posted by John W (UK)
                    Hi guys,
                    I've just got my Sport Evo back after it was modified.
                    It has:
                    MoTec M4 ECU
                    284 / 272 cams
                    Miltek fully stainless exhaust
                    Existing mods:
                    Adjustable suspension
                    Half cage, harnesses, fire extinguisher (!)
                    Bimmerworld brake cooling kit, braided hoses, Pagid Blue pads
                    It has had the chain and tensioner replaced. It has done 100K miles. No air-con, no sunroof, no electric windows, not even a radio!
                    Here are some pics:

                    My car at the Oulton Park track day this Saturday:



                    My recently painted engine cover:



                    Rolling road read out for power:



                    And for torque:



                    We know that the rollers we used are probably 10 BHP on the conservative side compared to other people's equipment here in the UK. Bexley's rollers measured it at 252 BHP at 6900 RPM and 200 lbft torque at 4900 RPM. I reckon that the power output would be 260+ BHP on some other rolling roads. But I'm not bothered about that, the car absolutely flies. It feels astonishing.
                    I am particularly happy with the Miltek exhaust. I think it is the best exhaust currently available for the E30 M3. It has a perfect exhaust note, and it isn't too loud......unless you give it some revs.
                    Cheers,
                    John.
                    could you show me a pic from your brakes?

                    regards

                    daniel


                    bmwM3shop.de

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Daniel,
                      I'm sorry, I haven't got any pics of my brakes at the moment. I will try and get some done.
                      John W
                      1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
                      1990 E30 M3
                      http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Ancient
                        John, your motor sounds awesome. What dyno did you use? As you know, we tend to use dynojets over here, which are overly optimistic sompared to the dynos in Australia for sure and perhaps England as well.

                        You put in a MoTec and an Alpha N. Given the other mods, this sort of confirms my thinking that tuning with a full standalone aftermarket ECU always yields a lot more power. As you know, most of the people here in the States still use chips generally with a few notable exceptions. And, most people over here with youm engine mods make about 210-235 rwhp and some of these guys have gone with 11-13:1 pistons, flowed heads and other more extreme mods. I would guess that you picj up about 30+ rwhp by tuning with the MoTec to a barely lean A/F ratio? What do you shoot for, if I can ask?

                        I use a Haltech E6K on one of my cars and would really like to try the MoTec on an M3. I suspect 275 rwhp in a very streetable tune would be readily achievable with a bit more compression and head work?

                        Nice...
                        Hi, glad you like the car.
                        Before modifications, the car was standard except for a de-cat exhaust which was on its last legs. It produced 225 BHP on the rollers at that point. The MoTec, cams and Miltek exhaust made an extra 27 BHP to give 252 BHP. I was happy to get over 250.
                        I don't know what kind of rollers Bexleys (who fitted the kit) use. All I know is that another bloke in the UK found that Bexleys rollers gave a reading 10 BHP lower than the rollers at Powerstation (another tuning place here in the UK). This is why I am assuming that other rollers might rate my car at 262 BHP. I'm not too bothered about out-and-out power figures, I'm just happy with the way the car goes.

                        The Miltek exhaust is great. If you look at it on their website, you will see that it comes in 4 sections (if I remember right). Perhaps this is so the American folks can fit cats??
                        John W
                        1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
                        1990 E30 M3
                        http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jonmurgie
                          Do you US guys get MoTeC over there? It's basically the dogs dangalies as far as engine managament goes... used in all the World Rally cars etc.

                          mazenz - drop Milltek an eMail and ask if they can suply you direct... I'm pretty confident they will! http://www.milltek.co.uk
                          Yes MoTeC can be had in the US. MoTeC has no geographic limitations, only monetary ones! Only if it was't so expensive. I only guessed Alpha N, cause it didn't look like a MAF and he got rid of the AFM.

                          I hear milltek will ship to NA, but with the weak dollar and shipping costs, it might put a big hole in the pocket.

                          90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                          97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can buy a MoTec M4 for about $2500 or so. Not cheap, but not that expensive either. The thing is that you have to buy sensors and make up a harness at that price. All-in with someone installing it, it runs about $4000 or so, depending on sensors and how you have it set up.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Ancient
                              You can buy a MoTec M4 for about $2500 or so. Not cheap, but not that expensive either. The thing is that you have to buy sensors and make up a harness at that price. All-in with someone installing it, it runs about $4000 or so, depending on sensors and how you have it set up.
                              Those figures sound right. Powerstation in the UK do a plug and play / custom harness system. It has all the parts you need, even the Samco hose and air filter and all the sensors. The website is http://www.powerstation.org.uk. The hardware costs 2150 approx. including our tax, VAT.
                              John W
                              1990 E30 M3 Sport Evo
                              1990 E30 M3
                              http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/john_uk/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X