Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey Car Week 2017

Hi all,

Not really an M3 event per se, but wanted to throw some feelers out and see who's going to be participating in Monterey car week. It's only a bit more than two weeks away!

If you're not already aware, this year the BMW organizations (at Legends and Festorics) are celebrating 30 years of the M3, with a bit of emphasis on the first-generation cars. My plan is to bring the E30 down Friday to Legends of the Autobahn where I'll be displaying for the second consecutive year in the dedicated E30 M3 area. (My car's not pretty enough for showing, but last year was BMW's 100th and this year the M3 is in the spotlight so I thought I'd partake). At last check they were still looking for particularly exemplary E30s to place front and center, so if you have something that fits the bill check in with Sven at his email address.

Here's my plan of action:

Friday 8/18
    9a Legends of the Autobahn
    3p Exotics on Cannery Row

Saturday & Sunday 8/19, 8/20
    Historic races at Laguna Seca, parking in the Turn 5 BMW CCA corral

If you've never experienced it, the races are incredible. Your GA ticket gives you full access to the paddock, you can get as close to the cars as you like so long as you don't get run over. The roster for this year's races is here. The featured marques this year are the 60th anniversary of Formula Junior, 60th year of Laguna Seca, and 70th anniversary of Ferrari. The 'A' groups run on Saturday (one morning race, one afternoon) and the 'B' groups on Sunday in the same way. I'm particularly excited this year for the GT40s. Cheer for Andy Chen on Sunday, when he runs his period E30 M3 racer in group 7B.

If you prefer to look at old pretty cars sitting on the grass, Pebble Beach Concours is on Sunday. I've never been because I'd rather be at the track, plus it's $325.

If you can't make it on the weekend of 8/19 to the races, you have the option of catching the Pre-Reunion the weekend before. I haven't been myself, but from what I hear it's less expensive and has fewer crowds, but still some of the same cars racing.

Here are my photos from last year to get you excited:
    Legends
    Exotics
    Races

Send me a PM if you want to meet up down there!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LxHZDT][/url

1988 DS
    Thread
    Photos
    Bay Area M3 FB group

yes, going.
    the winningest racecar ever.

Comment

Went last year and it was truly amazing!

The best part was seeing a Mclaren F1 in the flesh at the golf course.
      Then seeing the same F1 destroy the competition around laguna Seca the next day...
      It blew my mind seeing how much faster the F1 was compared to the rest of the field.
      The start stop straight was enough for the car to jump 6-7 spots which include an e46 M3 GTR, E36 M3 GTR, and some e30 m3.
      It only went around the track a few laps, but man was it fast.

Have fun this year!

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post
        Went last year and it was truly amazing!

The best part was seeing a Mclaren F1 in the flesh at the golf course.
        Then seeing the same F1 destroy the competition around laguna Seca the next day...
        It blew my mind seeing how much faster the F1 was compared to the rest of the field.
        The start stop straight was enough for the car to jump 6-7 spots which include an e46 M3 GTR, E36 M3 GTR, and some e30 m3.
        It only went around the track a few laps, but man was it fast.

Have fun this year!
        That was also a highlight for me. In a field of fast and loud cars, the F1 was FAST and LOUD. Was so bummed when it exited early. Let's relive that a bit...

https://youtu.be/LUXsUmt1RYc

1988 DS
        Thread
        Photos
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Omg that video was amazing. I was at the start stop line watching and It was crazy to see how many cars it jumped just from one lap. To see how he pulled away from them around the track is just epic. Surprised he was able to pull away from e92 gtr as easy.
          thank you for that. They truly don't make them like they use to...

Comment

Received an email from Sven indicating that my M3 has been selected for special display as part of the M3 celebration. I'm honored, if a bit confused since I didn't submit my car for consideration! If you see my scruffy DS with LMs on it, leave a note or say hello!
            1988 DS
            Thread
            Photos
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Comment

monterey bound

Comment

• Konig
                  Konig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Post photos from the drive!

It's my son's 16th birthday this weekend and he's been curious about these cars and have watched "ADRENELIN" 100 times. So my wife and I decided to change our weekend planned birthday to attend this event for Sat.

Unfortunately, I will not be driving the E30 as the wife does not feel comfortable in it, let alone drive it for more than 3 hours. Fortunately, it would be a pleasure to drive our new F80 Comp M3 and stretch it's legs in comfort. I will come by and say hi! Cant wait to see everyone there.

Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by manalo View Post
                  It's my son's 16th birthday this weekend and he's been curious about these cars and have watched "ADRENELIN" 100 times. So my wife and I decided to change our weekend planned birthday to attend this event for Sat.

Unfortunately, I will not be driving the E30 as the wife does not feel comfortable in it, let alone drive it for more than 3 hours. Fortunately, it would be a pleasure to drive our new F80 Comp M3 and stretch it's legs in comfort. I will come by and say hi! Cant wait to see everyone there.

Carlo
                  Your son's going to love it! What a birthday.
                  1988 DS
                  Thread
                  Photos
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

This is a life changing event if you are a car lover. I'll be flying down from Seattle tomorrow evening. Should make a stop at Legends and Werks Reunion on Fri and Laguna Seca all day Sat and early afternoon Sunday. Hopefully attend an auction or two. Only sad news is that all the people I know who vintage race are planning to sit on the sidelines this year and no one is driving or entering a car :(. It's still totally worthy of a weekend.

I'll text you on Fri Pall!

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                    97 Porsche Carrera S
                    13 Audi S6
                    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Car is cleaned up, on its fancy LM wheels and ready to rock. See you in Monterey!
                      1988 DS
                      Thread
                      Photos
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Running late, but heading to Legends today. Looking forward to seeing some great cars.

Comment

Just left the house heading there. If anyone wants to get together or needs a place to crash hit me up. 559-288-7612. I'm about 9 miles from event and an effin 30-45 min with traffic on 68!

Originally posted by drinaldis
                          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Post some pics!
                            One letter. One number. One legend ///M3.

Comment

Working...
                            X