Bay Area M3 meetup - 3/10 at Laguna Seca

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Area M3 meetup - 3/10 at Laguna Seca

I thought I posted this a while ago, so I have to apologize for the short notice. Copied from our Facebook group:

Something a bit different from our usual...

(photo borrowed from Steve's thread, hope he doesn't mind)

When: Saturday, 3/10, from ~8am to whenever you like.
    Where: Laguna Seca Raceway (https://goo.gl/maps/gSFZzmFYGU12)
    What:

Steve Walker (@SteveWalker), a vintage BMW racer/enthusiast out of Oregon, will be racing his new E30 at a Historic Motor Sport Association event at Laguna Seca on Saturday, 3/10. His is a 1992 Group A car that campaigned in Japan's JGTC in period. He has a couple of awesome threads here and here.

On that same Saturday, Laguna Seca will be hosting the Monterey Cars and Coffee event from 8-10a. I'm planning to drive down from the bay area to attend C&C, meet Steve, and cheer him on in his first race with the car. It would be awesome if we could rally down as a group and welcome Steve and his car to the area.

Steve provided the race schedule for the weekend, below. His M3 runs in Group 5.

Weather forecast shows rain starting right around noon:

Here's my plan:

~6:45a Arrive at Starbucks in San Jose (link) and grab a bite to eat and hopefully meet up with fellow M3s.
    7:15a Depart from Starbucks for Laguna Seca, drive down the 101 together.
    ~8:30a Arrive at the C&C event at Laguna Seca
    ~9:00a Say hello to Steve and check out his car
    11:20a Watch Steve run a practice session
    2:10p [Tentative] Watch Steve race, depending on weather
    ~3:00p Drive home up the 101.

If you're interested please respond and perhaps send me a PM with your phone number for easier coordination. Cheers!
    1988 DS
    1988 Lachs
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Reminder - this is tomorrow!

If you want to come, send me a PM and/or just meet me at Starbucks (or Laguna Seca) tomorrow.
    1988 DS
    1988 Lachs
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Thanks to Luis and Kevin for joining me for the day. Here are some photos.

The C&C bit was held in the so-called lakebed area between Turns 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Myself, Kevin, Luis

Had my long lens equipped so mostly detail / single-car stuff

Killer spec on this GTS

Didn't manage to meet the owner of this one. Had a carbon box, coilovers, and a lot of miles.
      1988 DS
      1988 Lachs
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Next, we wandered over to the paddock area to see what was running in the HMSA event. If the August event is the Rolex Historics, I might call this the Timex Historics. Still some good stuff though.

Apparently brand-spanking-new GT3 Cup Cars qualify

Gotta pass that Laguna 103dB sound any way you can...

The weather was not cooperating on Saturday mid-morning, so I did not stick around to watch races in the rain and only caught a bit of practice. Some highlights:

Had just snapped this photo of the Stillen 300Z and turned away when I heard tire squealing. First lap out, coming out of the corkscrew I guess he rolled in to the throttle too early.

Like the driver, we were all along for the ride as he sloooowwwllly slid across the dirt.

Boop.

It was a light hit, a little bit of bodywork and mainly ego bruised.
        1988 DS
        1988 Lachs
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

The main reason we trekked down was to meet Steve and cheer him on as he put his 'new' M3 on the track for the first time. Check out his excellent threads for more information on his car.

You can read my thoughts a bit here and here, I won't repeat them again (though these are partially repeat photos) To make a long story short, it was great to meet Steve and the car is incredible.

In addition to the M3, Steve runs his 2002 in the preceding race group. I was so wrapped up in the M3 I didn't really dedicate any time to the 02. (don't tell my tii!)

We got to see Steve run both his cars in morning practice, before the rain started to come down. Steve did not have rain tires for the M3 or a desire to tempt fate with his new, unfamiliar car on a damp track. Wise man.

Thanks again to Kevin, Luis, and Steve for such a great experience! Stay tuned for the next event.
          1988 DS
          1988 Lachs
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Oh right, nearly forgot! We moved our cars into the paddock area for some nice photos.

Luis was back in Monterey the next morning with his car for the Golden Gate CCA autocross. What a trooper!
            1988 DS
            1988 Lachs
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• L James
              L James commented
              Editing a comment
              Pall, was that Luis - Luis Martinez? If so, Wow! That Sterling E30 M3 was my first E30 M3!! Blast from the past....

• Konig
              Konig commented
              Editing a comment
              One and the same! Wow, I didn’t know that. The car is in terrific condition.

Hey! That was my car you saw. Sorry I didn't meet up with you guys maybe next time. I had a blast and really enjoyed the smell of race fuel in the morning!

Comment

Great pictures!

Comment

• Konig
                Konig commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!
            Working...
            X