Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 only track event?

Hello everyone,

With each passing year, fewer and fewer people are driving their E30 M3 on track (let alone racing it). I barely saw more than a couple E30 M3s this past season at various non-BMW CCA events. That's very unfortunate and a great shame as these cars are meant to be driven to be enjoyed and appreciated.

I am not sure the reasons behind why people are not taking the cars to the track anymore, but I got an idea after attending a couple events at NJMP hosted by Metro Track Addicts (MTA) this year. Almost half of the cars at the MTA events were Honda S2000s which rivals the E30 M3 in vintage. What if I get MTA (or another organization) to host just E30 M3 run groups? How many of you guys would be willing to come out to play in 2020?? The track would most likely be either lightning or Thunderbolt at NJMP. It's a centrally located track in the northeast.

If you're interested, please reply to this thread. Garage queens need not reply

I think its a great idea, but sadly I think the fact that our track numbers are dwindling to near extinction levels. Its been pretty common over the past 5 years to see less and less.
    The collector EAG / BAT bubble has really taken LOTS of our cars off track. Add to that the guys who are scared of limited engine parts availability, or the cost of rebuild and repair.
    All of it has added up to most E30M3s being resigned to garage queen duty, so many guys just sitting on them like they 401Ks.

I love the idea of an E30M3 track day, or even an E30M3 run group, but for me it would be much better at a destination track like Watkins Glen,VIR, Summit Point Main or Pitt Race (which if you havent been to recently, you need to go to, its amazing) .
    I "hate" NJMP, I avoid it. After my last race there this past summer I once again swore I was never going back LOL (which I have done numerous times), so I'd be out for anything there, but something at another track I'd be way up for.

I just think its going to be a hard sell financially as the guys that do still track / race E30M3s are so thinned out that its going to take a destination track to get everyone to tow to one place to actually get the numbers to make it work financially.
    The thought of a "Track-SIGfest-like" event sounds amazing though. Thats why I missed SIGFest the past few years. It always conflicted with a race weekend, and no way am I sitting in a field shining when I can be on track LOL.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-30-2019, 12:47 AM.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I agree with everything Jimmy said. - I'd try and make it if it were at a more interesting venue. Although I haven't been to NJMP I'm not very interested based on the feedback I've read. Palmer Motorsport Park is another good option, the operator (Fred Ferguson) club raced an E30M3 and would likely be accommodating to a special event that was a combo car show / track day. ...and selfishly, it's close to me, but also I want to give Jimmy an excuse to see that track.

First I've heard about Pitt Race, just watched a video and it looks great.
      Last edited by Mick; 11-30-2019, 02:28 AM.

Comment

I would be interested in participating. I do most of my driving at Lime Rock that I find to be a great track for our cars. I would need a fair amount of lead time on a date.

1989 E30 M3 Zinno
        2004 330i ZHP (sold)
        2018 JCW Mini

Comment

Hey I'd be behind a shot at Palmer LOL, I honestly have not gotten there yet for no good reason other than I have no good reason. I have heard its beautiful and Fred is certainly an E30M3 OG.

I'd even get behind Lime Rock, if it was an unmuffled day which I think are hard to come by. It really is a stunningly beautiful destination track that is very suited to E30M3s but I dont own a single vehicle including my tow vehicle that would pass sound at Lime Rock.
          I think Lime Rock is reported to be insanely expensive,,, and if you are gonna go for something insanely expensive, why not go to the greatest track on earth, Watkins Glen.

Mick, you really must check out Pitt Race. It has moved into my top 3 tracks.
          I'll pretty much use any excuse to go there.
          The track is a blast to drive, the facility is excellent and gets better every year. The owners want it to be a destination track and just keep making it better.
          Last edited by jimmy p.; 11-30-2019, 04:50 AM.
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I like Jimmy's idea....move SIGFest to a track.....
            I am not a fan of "park cars on a lawn" events, but if it is done in conjunction with an event that cars are used for what they were built for, do it!

and, LOL, Jimmy's tow vehicle would pass sound at any track.....;-)
            Marshall
            75 M2
            88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
              I like Jimmy's idea....move SIGFest to a track.....
              I am not a fan of "park cars on a lawn" events, but if it is done in conjunction with an event that cars are used for what they were built for, do it!

A basically stock E30M3 won't pass sound at Laguna, unless the driver bogs it in 4th past the sound check booth....

Comment

sorry, I meant his truck would NOT pass sound at any track....
                Marshall
                75 M2
                88 M3

Comment

sorry, I meant his truck would NOT pass sound at any track....
                  I figured. I was just venting my rage at the concept of ridiculously low noise limits at racetracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

I figured. I was just venting my rage at the concept of noise limits at racetracks.
                    I agree completely. Tracks were there first. People bought houses knowingly near tracks. Then complained about the noise. Sheesh.
                    Marshall
                    75 M2
                    88 M3

Comment

Depending on the number of participants, it's certainly possible to make it happen at Watkins Glen or Lime Rock (unmuffled event). But planning needs to start early if we want to secure the event/run group. I've never been to Palmer, so it would be a good reason to make the trip up there. But we need to get people to raise their hands first...

Comment

I hope we get enough interest but have a feeling there are just to few of us these days to make it work. If it doesn't work out we should at least try to attend a common event next season.

Comment

This would be epic

E30 M3: Stripey: AW track car 88'
                          E30 M3: AW NC: 2.3 with Pete McHenry head 88’
                          E30 M3: AW NH: 2.5 VSR1 Built 88’
                          E36 M3 PTG built LTW: Euro S50B30, 365 HP 95’
                          E36 3/4/5 AW Daily
                          Dodge GLHT 1985....Fast
                          D90: Land Rover Defender, AW 33k miles 97’
                          2002: Arctic Silver, Blue, restored stock 76’
                          944: SP1 Rothman Clone, 135 hp, 83’
                          Jeep Trackhawk, absurdity defined 18’
                          BMW M2C AW, 6 speed

Comment

I would do Watkins Glen, but coming from the Midwest I'd prefer to make the trip for a 2 day weekend event...
                            I've been loosely planning to get out there for the vintage event in 2021

Comment

I also consider an event at WGI or something along those lines

Comment

Working...
                              X