No announcement yet.

E30 M3 only track event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMWCCA NJ chapter holds a two day HPDE/Club Race on Summit Point Main every year in July. There are usually a few E30M3's there anyway. Perhaps we could pile on to that event.

BMWCCA NCC chapter holds a two day HPDE/AUTO-X/fun rally/car show called ChapterFest each year on Summit Main also. another potential opportunity with several driving options.
    Marshall
    75 M2
    88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
      BMWCCA NJ chapter holds a two day HPDE/Club Race on Summit Point Main every year in July. There are usually a few E30M3's there anyway. Perhaps we could pile on to that event.

BMWCCA NCC chapter holds a two day HPDE/AUTO-X/fun rally/car show called ChapterFest each year on Summit Main also. another potential opportunity with several driving options.
      I think the point of his post was to have a E30 M3 run group only.

To your point NCC chapter gets about 12 E30 M3's at their spring and fall events held at VIR. Very cool but not E30 M3 only cool

E30 M3: Stripey: AW track car 88'
      E30 M3: AW NC: 2.3 with Pete McHenry head 88’
      E30 M3: AW NH: 2.5 VSR1 Built 88’
      E36 M3 PTG built LTW: Euro S50B30, 365 HP 95’
      E36 3/4/5 AW Daily
      Dodge GLHT 1985....Fast
      D90: Land Rover Defender, AW 33k miles 97’
      2002: Arctic Silver, Blue, restored stock 76’
      944: SP1 Rothman Clone, 135 hp, 83’
      Jeep Trackhawk, absurdity defined 18’
      BMW M2C AW, 6 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 168glhs1986 View Post

I think the point of his post was to have a E30 M3 run group only.

To your point NCC chapter gets about 12 E30 M3's at their spring and fall events held at VIR. Very cool but not E30 M3 only cool
        Yes, and that will be difficult. My point was that there are BMW events already that we could possibly work with for a dedicated run group. Or at least join with to make sigfest more than just a car show.
        Marshall
        75 M2
        88 M3

Comment

What about doing something during the annual BMWCCA Oktoberfest? The next one will celebrate BMWCCA's 50th anniversary in Spartanburg. There's usually a track event nearby, while the event attracts a lot of people from all over the continent. One group with M3s only would be fine, but the problem is that not all drivers have the same experience. Would you mix a novice driver and a very seasoned one? This would be what HPDE organizers usually try to avoid. Or perhaps the Spartanburg plant / headquarters has a test track that can be used... Oh well, they have the BMW Performance Center...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

Sorry Lee, you missed it. That 50th event was two months ago. It was supposed to be the "last" BMWCCA ofest. They are going to be doing something different in California next year. TBD.
            Marshall
            75 M2
            88 M3

Comment

• LeeVuong
              LeeVuong commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh my... You're down right. I have to get out of my bunker more often. What year is this exactly ?

VIR for sure or something in the middle of the country so everyone can make it like COTA or road America.

Tarheel spring and fall VIR full course event gets 12-15 E30 M3's religiously. Obviously the most in the nation that still take them to the track every year.

T

Comment

If you guys come to Road America I'll host! lol

Comment

Some smaller driving clubs or the smaller vintage groups will basically sell a run group to an outside entity. That how EMRA got their race date at Pitt Race, I think they bought a run group from VRG. That might be an option. First pick a destination track, then scout out a friendly org that would sell a run group.
                As mush as I have heard Road America is not an "E30M3 track" I've always wanted to drive it. Thats certainly a destination track and probably a bit better location than VIR or Watkins Glen which are selfishly close for us easterners.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I don't agree that central US is better. Road America would be a 20 hour haul for East coasters, so only road warriors would go, and it still wouldn't be feasable for West coasters at over 30 hours.

There's no ideal location but if we want to split the haul with people in the Mid-West, something in the Mid-Atlantic like Pitt Race probably makes more sense.

Comment

Pitt Race would be awesome.
                    That track was made for E30M3s With the exception of the drag race out of T18, its about as much fun as you can have in an E30.
                    The facility is also really nice and keeps getting nicer. Nice paved paddocks, good hills to watch from, nice rest rooms, showers, etc.
                    EDIT - LOL as you can see from my all over the map responses to this thread, Im pretty much down for just about anywhere "other" than NJMP or a Roval of any kind ...
                    Last edited by jimmy p.; 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM.
                    jimmy p.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

sounds like there might have to be 2 or 3 different venues/years so that each area of the country can make it. maybe one per year east/central/west and the road warriors can make 2 or 3 if they are able.

T

Comment

I just don't want to be the only m3 at the track anymore. I didn't used to be but now I am again :(

Comment

I hear you. I haven't seen another E30M3 at the track in like 10 years, I think the last time I ran into one was Jimmy at WGI in 2010.

Back then I was classed with Miatas and Sentras, which wasn't very interesting. With a recent rules change I'm mixed in with the E36's and S2000'. That's a lot more fun. The S2k can be a great match for our cars, so I'm always happy to see those at least.

Comment

Working...
                          X