• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!
    75 M2 Zinno
    88 M3 Henna

Comment

Great times! Just started watching the video also.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

Gah! wanted to go so badly... but I couldnt get a car helmet in time...

I am trying to go to SOW on 2/6/21 if anyone is interested.
        Speed Ventures allows me to use my motorcycle helmet for the day, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mavrikno13764 View Post
          Gah! wanted to go so badly... but I couldnt get a car helmet in time...

I am trying to go to SOW on 2/6/21 if anyone is interested.
          Speed Ventures allows me to use my motorcycle helmet for the day, lol.
          I haven't been to streets in a few years. Might look into it. I personally like to run with Speed District. Their entry fee is higher but you get way more track time in a day and it weeds out a lot of people who don't care about preserving their cars since you see a lot of exotic cars at their events.
          Dan

88 M3
          Black on Black

San Diego, CA
          USA

Comment

I've got one I can bring to buttonwillow soon. When's the next track day?
            That m3 chasing a 2 minute lap seems to have a ton of motor.

Comment

If any of you guys are interested in actual wheel to wheel racing, we have an annual event up here at Mosport called the Varac Vintage Gran Prix in June. So far, we have three E30 M3s preregistered! Super excited!

https://varac.ca/2021-varac-vintage-grand-prix/

Comment

That looks like a blast. In my opinion Mosport is the best track in the Northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post
                  If any of you guys are interested in actual wheel to wheel racing, we have an annual event up here at Mosport called the Varac Vintage Gran Prix in June. So far, we have three E30 M3s preregistered! Super excited!

https://varac.ca/2021-varac-vintage-grand-prix/
                  Im 100% interested. If the border is open this summer (and my industry is thinking about going back to work) I am coming to Mosport at least once this summer. I have never been there and have been driving it like an obsessed person on iRacing trying to learn it.
                  I have never taken my own personal car & trailer across the border so I need to make sure I have all my ducks in a row for that, but I routinely send 18-20 tractor trailers of gear over & back so I think I can handle it LOL.
                  That track seems like so much fun (at least in a SIM).

EDIT: Fuck is this one of those racing clubs that doesn't allow real racing tires on the racing cars?

APPENDIX B – Tire List
                  - The only asymmetrical tires permitted for use in vintage historic classes are :
                  Toyo R888R
                  Kuhmo Ecsta V700 Pirelli Trofeo R
                  Falken Azernis RT615K
                  Last edited by jimmy p.; 01-21-2021, 08:38 AM.
                  jimmy p.
                  87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                  88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                  88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                  92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                  98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Im 100% interested. If the border is open this summer (and my industry is thinking about going back to work) I am coming to Mosport at least once this summer. I have never been there and have been driving it like an obsessed person on iRacing trying to learn it.
                    I have never taken my own personal car & trailer across the border so I need to make sure I have all my ducks in a row for that, but I routinely send 18-20 tractor trailers of gear over & back so I think I can handle it LOL.
                    That track seems like so much fun (at least in a SIM).

EDIT: Fuck is this one of those racing clubs that doesn't allow real racing tires on the racing cars?
                    Yes dude!! You'd be welcome there for sure, without a doubt! Its a great track!

No, on the 'classic' grid, you can run any tire you want. The tire rules are only for the 'vintage' groups ie pre '72 cars.

Comment

Would an E30M3 run in Group 70+ or Group 90?

Comment

Originally posted by craz azn View Post

Yes dude!! You'd be welcome there for sure, without a doubt! Its a great track!

No, on the 'classic' grid, you can run any tire you want. The tire rules are only for the 'vintage' groups ie pre '72 cars.
                        Thanks! All that is exciting. Its not that big a deal because I'm going to have to buy a set of something like that to race with VRG at some point, but why race on those if you can race on real tires LOL.
                        I hope the world comes back to life in time for me to get up there.
                        jimmy p.
                        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                          Would an E30M3 run in Group 70+ or Group 90?
                          Originally, the group was called just G70+, as a class for 73-89 cars. A few years ago, the BoD decided to create a new class system called G90 (allowing 1990s cars) to help bolster participation numbers. Both G70 and G90 run within the same run group, generally now referred to as ‘Classic’. What’s unique about the Vintage Gran Prix, is they get so many participants for Classic, they had to split the group up into two, and have a group for the faster cars, and a second race for the slower cars. Each group is capped at 40 cars.

Historically, E30 M3s will run in the faster run group, unless it is super basic, like an old J Stock car.

Comment

I vote PittRace or Summit Main. Both great E30M3 tracks

LCMT - sound, unviable $
                            Lime Rock - sound, unviable $
                            Palmer, terrible for E30M3, too steep. Also Alpha-N sound can be an issue.
                            Watkins Glen, Fvck no, power track. Unless running a firebreathing race S14 not enough power to make the Glen interesting. also literally the WORST S14 rod bearing eating track on the planet.
                            NJMP...Big Meh, although Lighting is fun.
                            Nelson Ledges, now we're talking. Its been repaved! And they have facilities! A drivers track. FAST!
                            Thompson. No, just...no.
                            NHMS...very technical track but not popular. Difficult to be very fast around it.
                            Mid-Ohio, Absolutely! Great E30M3 track. Short, so lotsa laps.
                            Road America. No, other than Daytona, easily THE MOST OVERRATED track in the US. Bring power, leave talent at home. square corners, long uphill straights. BORING. ALso laps take forever ina n E30M3 so you get like 5 per session.
                            sigpic
                            2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                            2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                            2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                            2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                            2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

The key to this ever getting off the ground will be to find a group / club that is open to selling a run group to an outside "non-entity" group, at one of their events, that just happens to be at a destination track.

So step one is to find a group (or groups) that would be willing to do that, and then look at their schedule and pick one of the tracks / dates, and see if they will do it there.
                              Earlier I mentioned Vintage Racer Group because I believe they have done something similar in the past, BUT they do it with established organizations like VDCA, EMRA, BMWCCA CR, etc.
                              The hard part for something like this will be that there is no org, no infrastructure, insurance, Motorsport Reg account, etc.

If we do it as a few have posted, just all push into a sign up at some Club or Chapter's event as entrants, no way will we all end up in the same run group.
                              Some of us sure, but all of us never.
                              We could of course all paddock together which will be good fun, but if the real hope if for an all E30M3 run group its not going to be an easy thing.

Its fun to talk about what track will be best, but the daunting thing will be getting a non-established, non-club, all E30M3 run group, comprised of widely varied skill level and prep into "someone's" track day / weekend LOL.
                              jimmy p.
                              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                              X