My Battery Just Exploded...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Battery Just Exploded...

I didn`t use the car for about two years. Last week I started to charge it. It went well.I connected it to the car today. No problem so far. All dash lights lighted up as normal. But when I tryied to turn the starter, the battery exploded. KaBooooom... :sosad:

Did this happen to anyone else before? Or am I alone here?
    sigpic

Was your battery sealed or vented? When you charge batteries, you create hydrogen gas, which as you found can explode if ignited. If you had the older style battery with the caps, you need to remove them before charging. Newer batteries usually have small vents tubes such as the OEM batteries used in our E30's. Make sure the vent hose is connected, and let things air out a bit before starting the car.

One thing for sure is that you have to neutralize the acid or you will have lots of rust on your hands. Baking soda and water works well for this.

Comment

i had that happen to the battery in my e36 about a year ago. Just came out one day to start it and heard the loud pop. It wasnt charging or anything either and it was vented correctly. Very wierd stuff.

Comment

It was a new type sealed hassle free battery. Need some shopping this week for a new one.
        Any inputs on the original BMW battery. Part# 61 21 8 381 714?
        sigpic

Comment

Nothing wrong with the OEM battery but the price...
          If you can stand the price then fine... otherwise, I have always used INTERSTATE batteries...
          They come with the vent tube if you get the proper model for the M3.
          There is a standard size, and even a widebody (you have to slide the battery bracket down) for those with "Boomin Systems"
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Adjuster
            Nothing wrong with the OEM battery but the price...
            ...and the weight! There are a few threads on here about batteries. Most ppl go with interstate (MT-90?) which are little lighter or the Optima red top which are a LOT lighter. Do a search and you will have lots of good reading. Both will require minor modifications to the mounting system
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo M3
              Need some shopping this week for a new one.
              So you're ready to drive the M again Carlo (fixed the DME problem)?

The day I needed a new battery I just bought one from Varta.

Marc

Comment

Last week I cleaned the injectors, bought new crank sensors, temperature sensor, bougies, intake rubber for plenum and ground cable from head to chassis. I hope this will make the car run again.

And Marc. The blown battery was a Varta...
                sigpic

Comment

the high weight of the OEM (or similar Ah-rating) behind the rear axle helps to get nearer to the much-acclaimed 50-50 front to rear weight distribution. But as it is so close to the rear axle I think I would go for a lighter one instead.

Comment

I have replaced all the other items you mention but I sounds like I missed one...

what is a "bougies"? and where can I get some?
                    Last edited by petro; 07-16-2006, 11:59 AM.
                    Petro

Comment

that's dutch (originally french, meaning candle) for spark plugs...
                      Last edited by hardtailer; 07-16-2006, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo M3
                        And Marc. The blown battery was a Varta...
                        Oops :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer
                          that's dutch (originally french, meaning candle) for spark plugs...
                          Ha,ha...

True. When I thought about that it was too late to edit.
                          sigpic

Comment

learn french with the S14 gang! lol

I love the optimas. worth every cent and every bit as god as their marketing says they are. Cant ask much more from a product!
                            Steve
                            "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

i put in a new battery today. Good thing is that it didn`t blow... Bad thing is, my injectors still don`t flow. Only thing left in my head is that the ECU must be replaced. Can`t think of any thing else. :sosad:
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X