No announcement yet.

What Brand/Type Battery Do you run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the ignorance, but does the Mark Calabrese's alternator mod actually do? The mod looks very straightforward, but just need to understand what it does.

Comment

I just bought a Walmart special replacement tonight. Can't even remember the brand but you best believe I am saving that receipt!

- gabor
      October 1987 build date.

Comment

Odyssey
        Michael
        www.purems.com | Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

My Optima is dead after 4 years and I'm not buying another one. I'm looking for a lightweight battery and was considering the Odyssey PC680. However, does anyone have experience with Big Crank batteries? My neighbor just got one for his 240SX and I had a look at it before he put it in the car. Said he bought it instead of an Odyssey because the cold weather characteristics are better. Didn't catch the model number, but it's half the size of a stock battery and weighs under 20lbs. Sealed AGM, can be mounted in any orientation but upside down, vibration resistant, and so on. Also a little cheaper than the Odyssey PC680.

Comment

The Mod tricks the alternator into charging the battery 1/2 volt higher. This helps the alternator do a better job of charging at lower RPMs.
            Mark Jon Calabrese
            1988 M3
            2008 535i
            2005 K1200S
            2011 135i

Comment

I have a Energizer from Pep boys. 3 years old and still going strong.

Blew away my old Deka.

Comment

Originally posted by mjcalabrese View Post
                The Mod tricks the alternator into charging the battery 1/2 volt higher. This helps the alternator do a better job of charging at lower RPMs.
                Thanks for chiming in. People have recommended it, but no one could explain what it actually did.

Comment

Mr. Calabrese, the alternator mod works as advertised. I verified the voltage before and after. Thanks for that one.

I also wanted to update my previous post regarding Big Crank batteries. I decided to just go for it and purchased and installed the Big Crank ETX30L over a month ago. Very lightweight (just over 20lbs) and so far has performed flawlessly. As with any lightweight battery I wouldn't let it sit without a charge for a long period of time. That being said it's cranked over after sitting for 4 days without a problem. (That's the longest I've been able to restrain myself from getting behind the wheel.) :drive:

Here's a link to the battery:
                  http://www.bigcrank.com/motorcycleba...v?p=BIG-ETX30L

I used the Odyssey SAE terminals to hook it up. I previously used an Optima so I had already replaced the ground cable with a longer one. My only complaint is that the SAE terminals make everything a bit too tall so the cover doesn't fit very well. I think I can trim the cover a bit to make it work, but just haven't gone through the trouble yet. All in all, at $71.95 I think it's an excellent alternative to the Odysseys which are all priced at over $100. Definitely cheaper than the $150 Optima I was using. Big Crank also has lighter and cheaper models. I almost went with the ETX16L, but decided that might be just a tad too small for a car that splits time between street and track.
                  Last edited by AndrewK; 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM.

Comment

My Interstate is shot. Does anybody know who the OEM battery manufacturer was? Was it a BMW-branded battery? Whatever it was, are they still available? Thanks.
                    1988 BMW e30 M3
                    1985 Audi Ur Turbo quattro
                    1981 Audi Ur Turbo quattro
                    1971 Porsche 911 2.5L R Gruppe

Blog: In The Garage

Comment

brand new Factory BMW battery, I just left it for 2 weeks without starting and it Died!
                      whats going on here?
                      1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
                      2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

Just wanted to ask, how important is running the factory batt vent tube?
                        Mine is not in use as my car has a new (non oem) interstete batt from the PO thats less than a year old. Lots of non stock batts being used here, just curious what if anything is being done concerning trunk venting?
                        Thanks.......
                        Last edited by NSXM3; 01-06-2008, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NSXM3 View Post
                          Just wanted to ask, how important is running the factory batt vent tube?
                          Mine is not in use as my car has a new (non oem) interstete batt from the PO thats less than a year old. Lots of non stock batts being used here, just curious what if anything is being done concerning trunk venting?
                          Thanks.......
                          Venting the battery is very important! If it is not vented, it can lead to rust under or around the battery tray (a very bad thing...). I had to buy a(very...last minute) battery from Wal-Mart in order to leave for O'Fest 2 months ago. The Wal-Mart battery (fit into the tray & secured correctly using the factory hold down), plus even came with a vent tube kit that connects to the OEM vent inside the car. I was very impressed (for $55). 2 months later it still is working problem free (has a 2 year replacement on it).

I believe the Interstate (along with Wal-Mart) brands have an oval vent hole on the top of the battery. The vent kit that came with the Wal-Mart battery (more than likely Interstate too...) vent tube plugs into the battery, then a connector/ adapter plugs into accept the OEM grey hose. Viola- you are now vented. Make sure to remove your battery tray to double check that the grey battery vent hose is indeed in the grommet & vented outside the car (so it is not found laying on the bottom of the inner trunk compartment)....

///Mpowered- You might have something draining your battery down while the car is off. The heated door lock's are known to go bad & drain down the battery. Could also be the trunk light switch staying on due to an out of adjustment truck latch.... Get the battery fully charged up & take the car out for a nice long drive to give the cells a deep charge. Short trips turning the car on & off are not good for the battery...

Don McAdams
                          1988 E30 M3
                          "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

I just installed a Sears Diehard 'International'. It is identical in exterior dimensions and design to the Interstate MTP-91.
                            1988 BMW e30 M3
                            1985 Audi Ur Turbo quattro
                            1981 Audi Ur Turbo quattro
                            1971 Porsche 911 2.5L R Gruppe

Blog: In The Garage

Comment

good question. I need to get to the bottom of my battery situation.
                              Won't stay charged. I replaced it with a brand new one from BMW,and same deal??
                              1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
                              2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

Had to replace the Interstate that we tossed in my car last year (had a spare in the shop and it sorta fit). Put in the "proper" Interstate, MTP-91, today and it is so nice to have a battery that a) fits and b) works. All the cables work fine, and the vent tube hooks up just right. Have used Interstates for years in Porsches and have always had good luck with them. Hope my luck holds out.
                                "Now I drive real f***ing fast, so keep up." - Winston Wolfe

Comment

Working...
                                X