cleaning battery area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning battery area?

today i am installing a brand new battery from the dealer.
    I was wondering how you remove that plastic plate under the battery to clean it. there is a lot of old crap in there and i was wondering if anyone ever has removed that?
    1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
    2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Just did mine. There were two 13mm (I think) nuts to remove, and then I just lifted up. It's wedged in there, but it will come out.

Not something I was hoping to do, but the tail light gasket on the battery side was leaking and I got water in there after a car wash.
    1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
    "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

is it that nut ontop of the plastic plate?
      1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
      2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

Might also check the car jack area. Making sure that the drain tube is properly attached. You can scrape off dirt/mud and vaccum off the deep area. Inspect for rust.
        Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
        '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
        '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
        '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
        '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
        '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
        '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

If you have had any leakage from the battery in that area it would be a good idea to clean it out with water mixed with baking soda. This will neutralize any acid residue.

Comment

Originally posted by //M-POWERD View Post
            is it that nut ontop of the plastic plate?
            There was one on top of the tray and one bolt/nut in the far corner near the rear wheel.
            1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
            "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

Working...
            X