Is there color stats for US M3's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there color stats for US M3's?

If any of you know the breakdown of all US M3 by the color, I want to know the rearest "factory" color.

Thanks,
    Mark

Rarest factory colors in the U.S. are Henna and Sterling silver...

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
    97 Porsche Carrera S
    13 Audi S6
    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3
      Rarest factory colors in the U.S. are Henna and Sterling silver...
      How many shades of Red are there for the E30 M3? Also, is the "Sterling Silver" the only shade of silver? How is the SSilver different from current Titanium Silver Metallic?

Comment

http://www.bimmers.com/m3/spotter/years.html

Comment

Dude... in so many words; Mick, you're da man!

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

sterling silver is brighter and lighter than lachssilber. Magnus' car is lachssilber, my car is sterling silver, in person they are quite a bit different. Lach silver is salmon. There was never a titanium silver metallic on the E30 M3.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
              sterling silver is brighter and lighter than lachssilber. Magnus' car is lachssilber, my car is sterling silver, in person they are quite a bit different. Lach silver is salmon. There was never a titanium silver metallic on the E30 M3.
              I know that Ti Silver was never offered back in the days but I want to know the difference between Ti and Sterling. The best silver color, IMO, is the Mercedes' Brilliant Silver; much "whiter" than Ti Silver with *no* blue tint in it. I am going to see Polar Silver from Porsche if I have time.

I consider Lachssilber as a Grey.

Comment

those are just paint codes on the page. I don't think those are production numbers for each color.

ive seen lots of discussions about this on the e36 m3 boards. no answer to production by color that I know of...

Comment

I think sterling has a little green in it and a little blue. I know my body shop guy told me he had to mix in green, I can't remember if he said blue or not. Are there actual production numbers by color? I swear I see more henna cars than sterling. And since sterling was only made in '90 and '91 and those were the lowest production years, it's entirely possible that it's the rarest color officially imported to the US.

At sigfest a few years ago there were 68 M3s, about 8-10 henna cars and only 3 sterling cars. That's what got me thinking

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
                    Are there actual production numbers by color? I swear I see more henna cars than sterling. And since sterling was only made in '90 and '91 and those were the lowest production years, it's entirely possible that it's the rarest color officially imported to the US.

At sigfest a few years ago there were 68 M3s, about 8-10 henna cars and only 3 sterling cars. That's what got me thinking
                    Dave,

Back in '98 when I sold my Sterling '91 M3, I was contacted by Tamara Hull (BMW CCA Treasurer at that time) and she told me that in '90 there were only 16 Sterling Sliver M3's that year. Also that there were probably less in '91 since there were less M3's imported that year than '90.

1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                    1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                    1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Actually, BMW never made the M3 in the 1991 calander year.....but there were cars produced in the last few months of 1990 that were considered (and sold as) 1991 cars. The number of them produced is very small and you seldomly see '91 M3s for sale nowadays.

As for the colors, I have yet to see a Sterling Silver M3. I've seen several examples of Lachsilber and a few Hennas (which are difficult to come by as well). Come to think of it, I haven't even seen a standard E30 painted in Sterling before me.....only pics on the Net.

Jon
                      Last edited by Jon325i; 07-27-2004, 03:25 AM.
                      I will own an E30 M3....someday.

Comment

Brandon Wheaton used to have a poll for a very long time on his website that had owners chime in with their colors... i remember there were quite a lot of responses to the polls and Sterling had the fewest hits, then Henna red. Definitely not indicative, but I have also heard sterling is the rarest color for the E30 M3 in the U.S.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                        97 Porsche Carrera S
                        13 Audi S6
                        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I have a sterling silver model and I know of only 2 others, 1 locally although not seen for some time and 1 that was sold by a main BMW Dealer, again a while back and this one was on a 'K' Plate or 1992 registered.

I believe that sterling silver M3's here in the UK are rare too. The colour itself is not as it was also applied to some other models...dont have the stats, but again you hardly see the colour.
                          Phil
                          E30 M3 - The Original Inspiration

Comment

Originally posted by //Mous3
                            How many shades of Red are there for the E30 M3?
                            On the links presented theres missing: 236 Misanorot

This color was only offered on the Cecotto models... So only part of a total of 505 cars has this color...
                            Steffen Otto Jensen
                            จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ
                            1989 318is
                            1989 M3 Cecotto (196/505)
                            www.cecotto.dk

Comment

L James, that's an interesting stat. Here's another stat for you. That year that there were only three sterling cars at sigfest, mine was the only one that came from the factory with a black leather interior. the other two cars were grey interiors from the factory. one guy converted his to black though. made me pretty happy, barring the sole sport evo at the show, I think I had the rarest factory color combo there. Of 68 m3's or so i was the only one with sterling silver and black leather from the factory. that's pretty cool

Comment

Working...
                              X