iigomotiv RS Chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iigomotiv RS Chip

Thinking of getting this chip, but is it the right one for my car?

-I always use shell optimax 98RON fuel. Occasionaly (10% of the time) 95/97 unleaded when I cant find a shell petrol station.
    -I have euro spec car no cat.
    -my car is stock as far as I know of (no telling what previous owners may have done!).

The iigomotiv website states this chip is setup for 96RON fuel and a stock car with an o2/lambda (ie cat). Can I use this even though my car has no cat? with what results or differences?

Would the RS still be the one to go for or are there any euro ones anyone could recommend (tried and tested), or anywhere I can get more info on euro chips/chippers.

I read the thread entitled 'european chip' from doing a quick search but have never heard of the upsolute chip.

All info/comments appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by SilverEvoI; 03-15-2005, 05:04 AM.

I would just go to somewhere like Bexleys for a re-map if I were you. It might cost a bit more but you will be getting a map for YOUR engine and not a map for anyones engine.

Steve
    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Is that definately the best way to go? Why doesnt everyone else go for a custom map then instead of getting generic maps?

I'm not that clued up when it gets to this level of detail.

Comment

An after market chip was probably burnt after a rolling road session on one car. Every car is different due to manufacturing tolerences and such like, so for optimum performance all cars should have their own map.

To map a car takes several hours on the rolling road and to do that once and then sell the results will give a lower cost as the mapping cost will be spread amongst the numerous buyers of the chip. If you are mapping your own car then all of the cost is yours, but the map is nearer than a chip for a little more cost.

Steve
        Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Cost probably. If a Turner motorsport chip is $230 ish I would guess the iigomotiv chip is around the same . Somewhere like Bexleys will charge you 300 + for a custom map .Oddly , Superchips in the UK want almost 300 ( $575 !!! ) for a chip for the M3.
          This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

has anybody been able to get a hold of iigo? # is disconnected

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo
              An after market chip was probably burnt after a rolling road session on one car. Every car is different due to manufacturing tolerences and such like, so for optimum performance all cars should have their own map.

To map a car takes several hours on the rolling road and to do that once and then sell the results will give a lower cost as the mapping cost will be spread amongst the numerous buyers of the chip. If you are mapping your own car then all of the cost is yours, but the map is nearer than a chip for a little more cost.

Steve

I take your point. Same as we get when a stock car comes out of the factory - a generic map...

Comment

Exactly, jest nearer the optimum.

Steve
                Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I have one on order, was suppose to receive it around now, I haven't been able to find any dyno or feedback info on it, I suppose it's a shot in the dark but they have a good reputation so I was willing to take the risk

not sure about the phone #, you might try to send Jefrem a PM http://www.s14.net/forums/member.php...nfo&userid=632
                  A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
                    I have one on order, was suppose to receive it around now, I haven't been able to find any dyno or feedback info on it, I suppose it's a shot in the dark but they have a good reputation so I was willing to take the risk

not sure about the phone #, you might try to send Jefrem a PM http://www.s14.net/forums/member.php...nfo&userid=632
                    sorry about the phone issue -- there was apparently one more account setup for autopay that i neglected to move over to the new bank account....

anyways, we're still waiting on our supplier to finish production and ship. the "cheap" offer applies until we start shipping.
                    Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo
                      An after market chip was probably burnt after a rolling road session on one car.
                      Steve
                      FWIW, we've always used several different cars on different days and conditions (and different parts of the country), and we have tested the "R" chips during actual race weekends before selling any of these.
                      Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

well I started a big post about the assumptions being made about getting a custom chip but then decided not to submit it, but in short there's no guarantee that a custom chip will be any better than a non-custom one, there are a lot of factors involved, it really comes down to the expertise of the person doing the work and the amount of time they spend with it, you know you're getting both with iigomotiv

unless you're running a unique combination of parts I'd question whether the additonal expense could be justified, the differences with regard to tolerances, etc. would generally be considered negligible. IMO a rolling road chip for a stock engine wouldn't make a lot of sense. For all you know they'll drop in the standard programming, take it for a spin and say it looks good, and then hit you with the full boat price. Unless it's an all out race situation they aren't going to program it to the point where it blows up because you lost 1 percent injector flow or build up some carbon and run it into detonation even though there might be a small gain to take it to that extreme.
                        A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeamM3
                          well I started a big post about the assumptions being made about getting a custom chip but then decided not to submit it, but in short there's no guarantee that a custom chip will be any better than a non-custom one, there are a lot of factors involved, it really comes down to the expertise of the person doing the work and the amount of time they spend with it, you know you're getting both with iigomotiv.

unless you're running a unique combination of parts I'd question whether the additonal expense could be justified, the differences with regard to tolerances, etc. would generally be considered negligible. IMO a rolling road chip for a stock engine wouldn't make a lot of sense. For all you know they'll drop in the standard programming, take it for a spin and say it looks good, and then hit you with the full boat price.
                          I aggree that you are mostley unaware of the quality of any service you recieve untill it is too late. But there are no guarentees of any product you purchase, you can only go from reputaion. I suggested Bexleys in my original post as I have read good reports on BMW Car Club GB Forum.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Steve
                          Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

The reason I wanted the iigo RS was to improve driveability etc. and maybe get a little more power. Im not expecting anything major but i know how certain economic mods can give a car a completely new character and bring that smile back again (not that mines gone away )

Jef. since your looking over the thread, could you answer my original question about running on 98 ron and a non-cat m3?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverEvoI
                              The reason I wanted the iigo RS was to improve driveability etc. and maybe get a little more power. Im not expecting anything major but i know how certain economic mods can give a car a completely new character and bring that smile back again (not that mines gone away )

Jef. since your looking over the thread, could you answer my original question about running on 98 ron and a non-cat m3?

Cheers.
                              First, lets get some things straight.

RON = Research Octane Number
                              MM = Motor Method
                              AKI = Anti-Knock Index = (RON + MM)/2

In the US, we use AKI when describing octane. Europe tends to use RON. Our site describes octane number in AKI. 93 AKI, which is commonly available US "premium" gas, is about equivalent to 98 RON (commonly available European "premium" gas), as long as we're talking about gasoline (racing fuel gets all tricky and crazy with different MM and RON numbers making the analogy a little stretched).

So, that said, you definitely don't want to run an RS chip with 98 RON gas -- you'd want the SS chip. BUT, you have a Euro car, with a Euro ECU, and we haven't tested with that, so I won't sell you one :-).

Also, our "R" chips are very aggressive, and I wouldn't run them on anything less than a new rebuild with new injectors, etc.
                              Jefrem Iwaniw

Comment

Working...
                              X