Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chips

I promise I did use the search function!

My girlfriend very kindly bought me a chip for my M3. Unfortunatley its from eBay. Its made by a compnay called Viper Motorsport? I really dont fancy putting it on my car to be honest. Unless any of you have heard fo them or used and they are OK.

Am I best to just bin it and tell her I put it on? lol

never heard of them and a quick google search brings up Dodge.

Comment

I never heard of them?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfella View Post
        I promise I did use the search function!

My girlfriend very kindly bought me a chip for my M3. Unfortunatley its from eBay. Its made by a compnay called Viper Motorsport? I really dont fancy putting it on my car to be honest. Unless any of you have heard fo them or used and they are OK.

Am I best to just bin it and tell her I put it on? lol
        Definitely not worth the try:whatever:
        '88 M3 2.3 Henna (Sold)
        '00 A4 2.8 Avant
        '06 Evo 2.0 IX RS

Comment

A lot of the non-M3 guys have bought ebay chips before and stated no problems. I am sure it is a copy of Dinan, Jim C or even Autothority. If these guys have never created a chip for a certain car, its a copy of another chip.

That being said; one doesn't know the longevity of such chips nor their characteristics. I would rather install another chip.

Comment

You've got a good girl there, her heart was in the right place, so I wouldn't tell her the chip is a POS. Just tell her that you really love it and that it makes the car much faster. We lie to our women all the time...No honey, your ass doesn't look fat in those pants!
            Terrance

Comment

hahaha, I dunno. I'd run it and see how the car feels. It probably is a copy because not many non-bmw specific comanies make chips for the E30 M3 (besides autothority). As long as it's not one of those things that tricks the computer into thinking it's getting more air than it is or that the coolant is still cold to get more fuel, it's probably OK, haha.
              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

They are definitely copies of the better known chips. There is always someone out to make a quick buck. Instead of messing with air-to-fuels mixtures and other adjustments, way not just copy someone elses work. It's not like the S14 chips are as popular as a Honda chip, so no use in a one-time deal that will ruin you ebay reputation and just one sale.

I would stick it in for now and eventually get a JC or Iigomotiv chip for peace of mind.

Comment

I dont know if this helps, but I went and did a search online and found this...

http://www.viper-motorsport.de/shop/...l_549_R569.htm

I have no idea if this is the same company, i cant read any of it but I saw BMW M3 as part of the discription...so i figured I would post the link....good luck
                  Last edited by Munkee_Boy; 06-02-2007, 09:34 AM.
                  1988 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

Whenever you will have a problem with your engine, you will probably blame it on this unknown chip. For the sake of a quiet mind, I would recommend to say thanks to your girl, but buy a real chip from a known brand. JC/Turner, Iiigomotiv, what else?

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

Put it back on ebay and get a jimC or IIGO chip.

Comment

Get a known chip. A bad chip could damage the motor, too much risk to take a chance.
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Yeh I think Ill give it a miss. Its really not worth the risk!

Thanks alot!

Comment

Go to a rolling road (one that has wide band lambda and a decent knock detection) with both chips and do a back to back test. For not much money you will know for sure if it is any good. Cheaper than another chip!

If it is Poo e mail the seller with the results and demand your money back!

Steve
                            Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I was wondering what chips people here recommend? I have always been hesitant of putting one in because I just didn't want to take a chance. any recommendations on a good one and a good place to pick one up?
                              If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!

Comment

Working...
                              X