iigomotiv or JC chip? some other considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iigomotiv or JC chip? some other considerations

I decided to get a chip for my car, and now im trying to decide which one to get. i've got it down to the Conforti/TMS and the Iigomotiv. I know the JC chip is good, but it seems like the new iigomotiv chip is better in terms of power.

one concern of mine though is that my engine is getting older: 152k miles. i would rather not have a chip that will strain my engine so much that i will need a rebuild or something soon.

also, there are some JC chips used out there (cheaper) but the iigomotiv ones are more expensive since i have to buy one new. is the extra power worth it? Im sure the JC will still bring a smile to my face

my major concern though is my engine life. just because the iigomotiv chip gets more power out, does it mean it's straining the engine more?

what do you guys think? it'd be nice to hear some feedback from people who have had both. does anyone have actual numbers for the power increases? (i'm not sure how to correctly interpret the data from the dyno shown on the iigomotiv website. I believe the competitor dyno is with the turner chip).

please help me out. thanks!
    -Will

It increases the efficiency of the motor, not the strain.

I have had both the Jim C chip (albeit for the 2.5 with the Evo AFM) and the Iigomotiv chip. This Iigomotiv chip is definitely less problem casuing than the Jim C chip. I had horrible midrange pinging problems with the Jim C chip that has been eliminated with the Iigomotiv chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
      It increases the efficiency of the motor, not the strain.

I have had both the Jim C chip (albeit for the 2.5 with the Evo AFM) and the Iigomotiv chip. This Iigomotiv chip is definitely less problem casuing than the Jim C chip. I had horrible midrange pinging problems with the Jim C chip that has been eliminated with the Iigomotiv chip.
      With more power will always come more strain.

I may have to try this Iigomotiv chip because my car also pings in the mid range pretty bad with JC.

Comment

does anyone know the official 'hp/torque @ rpm' gain numbers for the iigomotiv chip? id be buying the 91 CA SS chip so i imagine the numbers are a bit lower.

tried giving them a call a couple times but couldnt get ahold of anyone.

Comment

Hey Marsfire

Like I mentioned to you about the other parts...dont get caught up in the #'s....b/c most numbers are bullshit anyway(no disrespect to Iigomotiv or Jefrem)....numbers are hard to replicate....anyone can claim numbers...you'll never get a straight answer.

I believe iigo is better than the JC chip from all the results I have heard from first hand people...

My point....is just forget the #'s....they are absolutely irrelavent IMHO.

BTW....someone can make a chip that makes a 40 peak hp gain ....and someone else may make a chip that has a 10hp peak gain....But that doesnt explain anything....the 10hp chip may be MUCH BETTER....it may not ping...it may make more usable power through the rev ragne...etc...etc...etc...

Hope that helps

Comment

ok thanks for the help. looks like everyone is recommending the iigomotiv chip, so ill go with that.

still slightly worried about my engine with the new chip though. someone recommended that before autox or DE's, where ill be pushing the car hard, that i mix 91 with some 100 octane gas. i guess its just a risk you have to take. i know that a lot of the power comes from the fact that the new chip is just making more efficient use of the engine too...

Comment

i dont think the chip will be anything to worry about...if the engine is gonna go...its gonna go...the chip wont be the problem IMHO...good luck with it

Comment

sounds good. i'll go ahead and order the iigomotiv tomorrow. thanks, ADA///M (and everyone else)

Comment

marsfire have you installed the chip? how did it go?

how exactly did you do it? I just ordered one but i couldnt find a write up on how to do it. don't want to be doing anything wrong here...heh heh
                  1988 BMW M3 Sold
                  1991 BMW M5

Comment

Just installed the iigomotive chip tonight. There are instructions that come with the chip. They're pretty easy to follow. Try it out or take a look at what's in the packet. If you have more questions, you can post and I can answer any specifics. Everything was pretty straightforward for me.

Oddly enough, i found out that there was already a Dinan chip in the car. Was in there since the car was almost new (copyright 1989 on the dinan chip, and it looked OLD). The new chip really does feel a bit quicker. What I notice most is that the car starts pulling at much lower revs. Right before 4k now the car will really start pulling and you can see the tach just fly up from that point on. With the old Dinan chip, I believe I had to be over 5k to feel the car starting to pull.

Sorry that I can't really compare to stock, since my car already had the Dinan chip in it. I definitely recommend the iigomotiv! (btw, i ordered the SS California chip).

Comment

yea, ive had to order the ca ss chip as well. i cant wait until its here!

hopefully theres just a stock chip in my car as it already feels pretty peppy to me.
                      1988 BMW M3 Sold
                      1991 BMW M5

Comment

mkiv98, good luck with the install and enjoy. where do you live?

Comment

I just replaced my Turner chip with an Iigimotiv chip. All I can say is WOW! This chip rocks! It is way smoother than the TMS chip and it delivers more power especially down low.

The only problem I had with the iigi chip is that it is running way lean and I have had to make adjustments to my Split Second unit. Once I made the adjustments and added some fuel it is a lot more powerful. I have been waiting to get this chip so I can finally get the engine dyno tuned. I can't even imagine how much more power I am missing with my poor tuning skills

Comment

marsfire: i live in california, but in the east bay area.

I have installed the chip and wow, what a freaken difference, as everyone has attested to. heh heh
                            1988 BMW M3 Sold
                            1991 BMW M5

Comment

How much and where from?

I am reading so much good feedbacks on the Iigomotiv chip. How much does the Iigomotiv chip sell for? Recommendations on where to buy it from?

Thanks,
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X