No announcement yet.

Special Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to Hagarty awhile back and they were not certain if they wanted to do my M3 or not - I needed to send them photos and never got round to it. They do have a good rep. in the industry and offer a free towing service, etc. They really prefer cars that don't go more than 2500- 3000 mi per year, and I didn't want to commit to that although for 2004 I would have been OK.

I will check into American Collectors. If they will own up to 5000 miles of use, I can live with that limit for certain.

Most of these companies do want the car in a garage....to me it's nuts trying to keep a car cosmetically decent let alone nice without a garage...I guess it can be done but it's a lot of work. A guy could build a cheap garage with the money saved in a few years (not a good working garage, but at least a storage building to keep the weather off while the car is parked.

Comment

AC did not want to insure my car because they said it looked like a "driver's car". On the other hand Hagerty insured it w/o question and valued my car up to 15K. Go figure. I think I paid $325 a year for Comp/Collision.
      Last edited by Anthony; 01-18-2005, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Anthony, I was pretty suprised they did not insure your car when they insured other two stock M3's.

Anyway, I'm glad you got one.

For MitchM3, as for the garage, they won't check anyway, they just have a form that you fill out and a simple yes or no, just say "yes". Fill an app. online, then they'll mail you a hard copy and some forms to fill out.

In return, send the check for the premium along with signed forms and 6 pics of the car - front/rear/sides/engine and interior.

They have a 5000 mile which would probably run in the $300's/year.

Comment

FOLLOW UP

I was able to procure classic car insurance through my insurance company, Metropolitan. I have home an auto with them....the increase in premium is very minor and it include collision coverage with a $500 deductible. FYI, American Collectors is more expensive. They request 4 panel pictures (FR&RR fenders and quarters) and 1 interior shot.

Comment

American Collector car won't touch a car with a cage, I asked.

Comment

Grundy's won't cover BMWs, I just called

Comment

I have Parish Heacock on the M3. 321.00 per year 3K mile restriction. They don't count the miles driven on track and don't cover track use. 100/300 coverage 0 deductable.

I will get American Collectors for my on track coverage.

Jordan
                "Never lift"

Comment

I just qualified for collector plates and insurance for mine.
                  Full coverage is about 250 per year. The only restriction is I can't drive it to work.
                  God bless Canada, eh.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim

Comment

I have the American Collectors driving school insurance. I pay $300 for $20,000 agreed-to value with a 20% deductable (therefore really only $16,000 value). Covers all driving events even if I wreck the car at my fault. They only required one picture. Pretty hassle free to obtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                      I have the American Collectors driving school insurance. I pay $300 for $20,000 agreed-to value with a 20% deductable (therefore really only $16,000 value). Covers all driving events even if I wreck the car at my fault. They only required one picture. Pretty hassle free to obtain.
                      I will have to try them again.

Comment

Bringing this one back from the dead, I called Hagerty and they told me the car could not be modified. My EvoIII spoiler / 17" wheels did not count as modified, but a chip, and more importantly lowering the suspension, would consider it modified. They told me they would not be able to insure it as a modified until it was 20 years old. So for me to insure it with Hagerty's I would have to keep the engine and suspension stock until 2009. About $340 for a $15k policy.

I called American Collectors and they gave me a quote for modified or stock, the difference only about $40. (I think $240-$280)

Be sure to check the liab covgs, Hagerty's quote only included $15k PD and $50 BI, but of course they will offer more for more $$. Its not hard to cause $15k in damage, especially if you hit something expensive, $50k in a BI suit can go very fast, too. My advice would be to match your personal auto ins policy liability limits for the liab on the classic ins. policy.

I think I'm going to go with American Classic, its a few buck cheaper, but I don't have to worry about a claim being denied due to my mods either.

I think I'll be goin
                        REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
                        http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

I pay $ 254.00 with American, 2500 mile plan, $14k agreed value - 1989 M3
                          I pay $ 240.00 for my - 1985 635csi - $10,000 value
                          $500/year for both cars - yahOO!

5000 mile plan available 40% more premium, application takes no more than 2 weeks after submission

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3
                            American Collector car won't touch a car with a cage, I asked.
                            NOT TRUE ! I just received the Full coverage (agreed value of 35k) for $475 a year from American Collectors and they saw the pics of my car, I sent them 10 of those just to cover my ass in case of something...

Comment

Working...
                            X