Historic Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Plates

Will anyone else be running historic plates on their baby soon? Since mine turns 20 in December I can start running historic plates here in MD come January '08.

Cheers!

In california it is 25 years.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm

- gabor
    October 1987 build date.

Comment

We are 25 years for Street Rod tags... "an extensively remanufactured vehicle different for the manufactures original specifications." This opens up the mod-sheet and my wallet when 25 years comes.

As long as I am pretty much stock for the most part I qualify for Historic status. This means no more inspections which is not a big deal since the car is properly maintained in that regard. But it also means no more emissions. One less opportunity for any once to screw up the ride!!! I mention that because the inspection tech could not get my car into the proper gear during the tread mill test. Then he put it in reverse and almost backed into the next car waiting for the treadmill!!! Nice!!! One less issue I have to deal with.

Comment

I have collector plates on the M3 Cabrio. I've had them now for two years.
        In Canada it's 5 years unless your car is limited production...less than 1500 made world wide...and still in original condition. You also have to get a letter of authenticity from the manufacturer stating the number made by them and all number on the car must match.
        Really cheap insurance
        Cheers,
        Jim

Comment

New Yorkers have to wait 25 years;(
          http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv440H.pdf
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            I have collector plates on the M3 Cabrio. I've had them now for two years.
            In Canada it's 5 years unless your car is limited production...less than 1500 made world wide...and still in original condition. You also have to get a letter of authenticity from the manufacturer stating the number made by them and all number on the car must match.
            Really cheap insurance
            Cheers,
            Jim
            sorry...typing mistake. That was meant to read in Canada it's 25 years.
            Jim

Comment

Id love to see pics of said plates. Ae they the ones out here that are black and yellow?

Mariano

Comment

The MD Historics are regular old black and white. The plates on my car now are the "Our Farms are Our Future" plates which fade from white to orange, kind of an autumn dusk feel with black lettering.

Registration costs drops considerably though to $51.00. If memory serves me correct it is a one time fee. So no more $128.00 every two years and $14.00 every two years for emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick-NY View Post
                  New Yorkers have to wait 25 years;(
                  http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv440H.pdf
                  but you can go with a vintage plate
                  or with the yellow one since those ended in 86'

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Originally posted by vodomagoo View Post
                    but you can go with a vintage plate
                    or with the yellow one since those ended in 86'
                    That's exactly what i am going to do! Vintage plates FTW. I have them for my 67 Austin Healey. The tough part is finding a pair. You can not register vintage plates in NY unless you have both.

Christopher
                    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

you mean i can still run my old plates? same numbers but different color.
                      sigpic

Comment

I forgot all about that. I think I can run vintage plates in MD. I am going to look into it.

Comment

That's a great idea... I hadn't thought about historic tags in a while. I'm in MD, so my '88 will be eligible in January too. I was hoping it would be 20 years from the build date, which would bump it up to this June, but it's the model year.

The $51 is still every 2 years. If your car is 60 years or older, then it's a 1-time fee. Still way better than $128 plus emissions.

Does anyone know what the MD historic tags look like? I couldn't find a picture.
                          Mark

Comment

In Washington it is 25 as well. One time fee though and no more tabs!! Can't wait!!

Tyler
                            http://www.europeanplates.com S14.net 10% Code: s14

http://www.europeanplates.net Build and Preview plates

Comment

Mark - I think the historic plates for us are the regular black and whites. it still says Maryland at the top of the tag and instead of the web address on the newer black and whites it just states Historic.

I am going to look at what the tag design was in '88 and see if I can source a set of those if they are not f-ugly other wise I will do the regular historics. I am not to much on personalized plates but you can get the historics that way for some extra cash-ola.

Comment

Working...
                              X