Historic Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t13vom View Post
    Will anyone else be running historic plates on their baby soon? Since mine turns 20 in December I can start running historic plates here in MD come January '08.

Cheers!
    Where in MD are you? My car's comin up next month, so I'm still thinking about it.

Comment

I am in Frederick... I believe you will have to wait like me until January 1st to get the tags. It is on the 20th calendar year for us not the actual production date.

Comment

Well dammit. I haven't looked into this too seriously. Are there any downsides to historic tags? I work in Rockville. It'd be nice to see others.

Comment

I am going to research all of the down sides... Limited driving such as to and from events and occasional regular use are in the MVA documentation.

Did you purchase you M from a guy in Frederick many moons ago? If so did it have the old school Borbet 16" five stars on it? 16x9s in the rear? Just a random question.

I worked for/with a shop in the Rockville area for about 8 years so I knew a few of the local M3s or serviced them... Just one of those crazy how small the world is questions.

You may see me from time to time on the pike and in the Kensington area...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03 View Post
            That's exactly what i am going to do! Vintage plates FTW. I have them for my 67 Austin Healey. The tough part is finding a pair. You can not register vintage plates in NY unless you have both.

Christopher
            i think i might actually have two sets of vintage plates somewhere....if you need/want them :Jake: I'd have to check next time i go back up to NY tho. :Jake:

Comment

I bought it from a guy I work with. He at once had two of them and I got one of them. What shop did you used to work for?

Comment

Initially TUV which was back off of Dover Rd where Auto Italia now is... Then we moved and changed names BMWs & Porsches Only (Porsche got after us about that) then Car-Tek before dis-banding.

Comment

I think the only downside in MD is the limited driving, i.e. it can't be your daily driver. I doubt that's an issue for many of us, and there don't seem to be any actual mileage restrictions, so it looks like it's no big deal. I'm definitely doing this come January, or whenever I have to renew. It might even impact your insurance (in a good way), but that's just my hopeful speculation.

Oh, and I'm in Silver Spring, in case anyone cares.
                  Mark

Comment

Unfortunately the car is my daily driver right now. So I may have to skip that for now. Where in Silver Spring are you? I live in Colesville Silver Spring area.
                    t13vom: Disbanded?

Comment

In Ohio, it's also 25 years. I have collector plates, which are the same price as regular plates, but at least they get me exempted from emissions tests.
                      '89 Cinnabar Red
                      '88 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
                      '82 Fiat Spider Turbo
                      '00 Ducati Monster

Comment

Disbanded?!? I work in Columbia and grew up in Colesville (SS North according to ZIP). We will need to start another thread on a DC Area meet.

Comment

Working...
                        X