Recommendation for an engine rebuilder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for an engine rebuilder

I have just joined the ranks with an '88, m3 170,000 miles and generally in very nice cosmetic condition. I took it to my local BMW dealer and the compression came back 155, 160, 130 and 150. I actually anticipated doing a rebuild when I purchased it, so I am not that crushed about these numbers.

However, I need some advice on where to take it. I live in central Illinois, but do not mind traveling. I plan to use the car for weekend driving and about four BMWCCA schools a year. From the research I gleaned it seems that Mario Langsten in NH, Don Fields in NJ, and Pete McHenry in NC are all outstanding choices. Can anyone comment on these gentlemen or suggests others maybe closer to Illinois? Again, I suspect that I will do a mostly stock rebuild with maybe a few upgrades. Cost is somewhat of an issue, but it is mostly that I do not want to drop $10-$15k on what will be a Weekend car.

Thanks for any advice.

-Sean

As you've read, Precision Performance Services (Pete McHenry) builds lots of 2.3 and 2.5L S14's, and has been for many years.

Contact Pete at (336) 761-0643 and he can tell you your options and pricing.

318is 2litre

Comment

you can also get in contact with don fields or ron checca. they also build some of the best motors out there.

mark

Ruining Motorsport one M3 at a time...

Comment

Well naturally I have to lobby for my father, Mario Langsten of VSR.
        We currently have 5 E30 M3's awaiting rebuilds over the winter. You wouldnt be the first gentleman to ship us a car from the central USA.

We can work with you on the rebuild to find a way that your needs and desires are satisfied, while not emptying your wallet of the necessary funds to add modifications come next spring after you drive it.

You can reach my father at:
        1-603-228-2888
        or send him an e-mail from our webpage: www.VSR1.com

Regardless of who you chose, the 3 names you listed are all more than competent of excellent rebuilds for your S14, and you should be very pleased with the results.

Cheers,
        Chris
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

I recommend Pete McHenry. Our Henna Red 2.5L was built by him. VERY impressed with built quality/performance/help!

Comment

I would also put the Salloum Brothers from VAC Motorsport and Rick Stormer from Covered Bridge Motorworks at the top of my list.

I know all these guys, including the three previously mentioned, have excellent knowelge of the S14. But i'm not sure if their equipment can match what VAC Motorsports has.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
            97 Porsche Carrera S
            13 Audi S6
            SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
            GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3
              I would also put the Salloum Brothers from VAC Motorsport and Rick Stormer from Covered Bridge Motorworks at the top of my list.

I know all these guys, including the three previously mentioned, have excellent knowelge of the S14. But i'm not sure if their equipment can match what VAC Motorsports has.
              With all due respect to Rick Stormer, I'm going to have to go against that suggestion.

If you'd like reasonings behind my stance I'd be more than happy to provide them. PM me if you'd like me to explain. I feel it is in poor taste to express my views and opinions publicly as many times people assume it is simplely shop rivalry. :rolleyes:

I do not want this to be taken as a "My shop is better" type of post. I do have valid reasoning for my cautionary flag.

Chris
              Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

First, I would find out what you want done and what your budget for it is.

If you just want a stock rebuild, then anyone can do that easily.

If you want a Mild 2.5, they can all do that to.

If you want a really powerful well built 2.5, then I would say Don Fields.

Not to say that everyone else could not build one to, but Don if fairly close to you and I have seen his work.

What about TMS in Boston?

Do not click
                At least it's German

Comment

Budget will be more than $5000 and less than $10000. My intended use is weekend car and about four BMWCCA driving schools a year. So, I do not want to get crazy expensive.

I really appreciate all of the great information. Keep it coming.

-Sean

Comment

Precision Performance (Pete McHenry) is our business, and of course i recommend talking with us. We are famous for our abundance of technical support, endless knowledge and experience (Pete has over 50 years of engine experience as well as metallurgical expertise),custom-work, and competitive pricing.

Give us a call.

(336)-761-0643
                    M-F 10-5pm EST
                    Alex McHenry

Comment

My unbiased opinion is Precision delivers what they promise.
                      We are very happy with our 2.5 rebuild by Pete.
                      Mel Abrahams
                      Abrahams Motorsport
                      www.abrahamsmotorsport.com
                      Direct contact:[email protected]

Comment

I noticed that you are in Peoria, IL. If you'd like to jump over the expense of shipping your car or your motor to the east coast just for a rebuild you should use Chicago's local E30 M3 guru.

Ben Thongsai has a shop in Chicago, he is (in my opinion) among the best E30 M3 mechanics in the country. He maintains multiple racecars for people that live on the east coast. I don't have his number off the top of my head, but he is as honest as they get, extraordinarily knowledgable, and a very good mechanic. Best part is, he's right in your backyard. When I lived in Milwaukee I tried to take the car to him if I could.

PM me or email me and I will find his phone number for you. He just installed cams for me a few months back, I'd trust him to do it again.

Comment

you want $9k for that car given the compression readouts?

http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifie...9&sortby=&dir=
                          A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Working...
                          X