Emissions Tests - when are we exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions Tests - when are we exempt?

So when are we exempt from having to do emissions testing? I am under the impression that, in most places, cars over a certain age are not required to go to the DEQ in the area and be tested. I searched the topic on Google, but all I could turn out was information about where to get a car tested in different states; not when they are no longer going to need to be tested. Anyone have solid info. on this? I'm sure that more than one person on the board would be interested to know what the story is with this.

Cheers,
    Ted
    1990 e30 m3

I thought that older cars are not tested simply because they didn't ever comply to the current emission standard so I am assuming the m3 will be tested as long as it complies with the current emission standard.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

varies by state I believe. Can't wait for emissions to testing to end for the BMW. I think that it's 25 years

Comment

I also think it's 25 years. It'll be time before we know it.

Comment

I wouldn't count on the date moving up. There is motivation for environemntalists to try to keep the gross polluters off the road. I woudl figure any car that came witjh a cat from the factory will always be subject to emissions testing.

Comment

I am going to end the emissions testing on my 88 which is now official 20 years old in Maryland's eyes. I will be picking up historic tags this weekend if all goes well. No more emissions for me!!! :healthyjake:

Cheers!!!

Comment

California used to do that. Cars more than 20 years old or thereabouts were exempt.

Not anymore. They stopped rolling the cutoff date forward, I think the the 1974 models or thereabouts.

In California at least, the writing is on the wall. They are trying to get older cars off the road.

Comment

Here in North Carolina my car has regular plates (not historic) but is only required to have a safety inspection. No emissions testing for my M3 here. I'm not sure what the age cutoff is. Maybe just older than OBD1...?
                Dominic

Comment

In Illinois OBD1 cars no longer have to be tested. In talking to a manager at the testing station (which btw is a 3P contractor in IL) this last summer I got a heads up on this and sure enoough it went through. Something about the number of OBD1 cars on the road now being a very insignificant percentage.

I guess its time to buy another 95 M3 and an E34 for those engine swaps.

Mike

Comment

It's 25 years in GA.

Comment

Originally posted by t13vom View Post
                      I am going to end the emissions testing on my 88 which is now official 20 years old in Maryland's eyes. I will be picking up historic tags this weekend if all goes well. No more emissions for me!!! :healthyjake:

Cheers!!!
                      Sweet!

I literally just took my daily driver into Frederick emissions today and was wondering the same about the M3. I thought it had been pushed up to 25 years but I was wrong!

Time to go fill out an application......

Keep me posted on what happens with you this weekend
                      Last edited by sirrus; 01-02-2008, 05:44 AM.
                      Bry

Comment

About 48 hours after the world runs out of 93octane gasoline.
                        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

i didnt think they did emissions testing in eugene? i know they dont in salem. which is BS, no emissions requirements in the state capital....go figure.

Real M3s have 4 Cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                            California used to do that. Cars more than 20 years old or thereabouts were exempt.

Not anymore. They stopped rolling the cutoff date forward, I think the the 1974 models or thereabouts.

In California at least, the writing is on the wall. They are trying to get older cars off the road.
                            This is so odd to me, I always thought of Cali as one of the most car culture centril states. Why isn't Jay Leno making a big stink about this.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

Originally posted by sirrus View Post
                              Sweet!

I literally just took my daily driver into Frederick emissions today and was wondering the same about the M3. I thought it had been pushed up to 25 years but I was wrong!

Time to go fill out an application......

Keep me posted on what happens with you this weekend
                              25 years for street rod tags... heavily modified!!! Boost, Grp A suspension, whatever!!! Limited use for both to include to and from events, weekend outings, etc. 6k a year in mileage, I think, is the draw back if it is your DD. I will be at the MVA when they open Saturday morning. I need to check if I can get tags then or if I will have to go Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X