Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Education needed.

Some of you may be interested in replying to this post:

"Can someone tell me what is so great about the E30 M3 Besides the body and maybe the handling. I had a 1990 that was mint condition with 68k miles for about 1 year and got rid of it. I thought it was a piece of garbage. The engine may have been great in it's hay day. But by today's standards it's nothing to brag about. And the pumped up 4 cyl. got horrible mileage around town (14 MPG).
    Plus I had to replace alot"

This was posted in my For Sale post on Bimmerforums.

Would any of you E30 M3 purists care to educate this gentleman. :idea:

Bimmerforums Link

not worth it. If you dont get "it".......then you just dont get it.

I have many friends who wonder why I am so anal about my car...i gave up explaining but everyone of them love it when I take them for a ride and show then what the car can do.

Comment

many of my friends who drive brand new benzes or bimmers ask me why I have 4 old cars ( 72 Benz, Porsche 911, bmw e30 325 and e30 M3), they tell me I should sell all of them and lease/buy brand new car, they just don't get it...
      I do like new cars (my wife drives Benz ML SUV), but I feel so at home when I get behind the wheel of an e30 or mid 80's Porsche 911...

Comment

same here. most people are all about the newer M3s. Something about the E30s and older cars such as the AE86 Corolla just feel right for a driver. too bad my car is in storage back in the states.

Diversion
        E46 owner on the ship heard I had an M3 and asked me when we could get together for a drive. explained that my car was back in the states, so we started talking and he was asking me about VANOS, and all of the newer stuff. when I told him my car was an 88 and had a four cylinder, he just gave me this weird look and kinda walked out. he'd never heard of the original M3

Comment

My '72 2002tii is old, has fading paint, lots of rust, no air-conditioning, an erratic heater, bad electronics, smells of gas in the trunk, doesn't have "power" anything, is terrible in the rain or snow, has numerous dents and chips...but I wouldn't trade it for any other driving experience...cept maybe an e30 M3

The reason I now love my new 1988 M3 is because it's the perfect marriage of the 2002's driver-to-road seamless connection and all the general bells and whistles, power, and comforts of a new car.

You're right, if people don't "get it", there's nothing you can do and they'll go on living their simple, car care-free life. It's funny though. People surely don't get it when I explain to them I didn't buy a 1972 BMW because of the comfort, good gas milage, and low maintenance. And yes, I love new cars too, but there's just something about older Beamers that's intangible and very attractive.
          My website - Ebbworld- Life, Love, and Why

"All praise, honor, and glory to the One who has ransomed us from sin and death, Jesus Christ, our Savior."

Comment

his car must ahve been f'd up, or he was really gunning it around town, or jsut sitting in lots of traffic. 14mpg is the lowest ive ever herd of.

i bet he never got that car on the track
            "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
            "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
            onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

at the risk of being booed and hissed at (or worse), by todays standards it really isn't that impressive to me either, but that's just one person's opinion so let's not ... :battle:

that's probably true of any older model vehicle, but the people with whom that's an over-riding factor aren't likely to purchase/own one

there are a lot of things I don't like about an E46 M3, so it's not a simple this is better than that comparison between M3's, you can't honestly compare an E30 M3 to an E46 M3, nor can you expect a diehard E30 M3 enthusiast to necessarily have an unbiased opinion either :nahnah:

$20k is still my limit though
              Last edited by TeamM3; 12-24-2003, 05:15 AM.
              A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

I think the things that many of us love about these cars are precisely the reason many people are unimpressed. They are buzzy, unrefined, temperamental, and marginally comfortable. In terms of pure drag racing type speed they are not particularly fast. As has been said before here, they are "momentum" style cars. These are the things that make them different and fun to drive.

I honestly don't believe a car like the E30M3 would be made today. An E46M3 is unquestionably much faster. It is a nice car. But I have driven them and they are not as much fun to drive. Speed in itself is not what makes a car fun to drive, at least not for me.

It is a quality that is difficult to define, but the E30M3 definitely has it.

The only thing I don't like about the car is the AFM, which I am endeavoring to get rid of.

Comment

not for everyone

First off, that bimmerforums guy is a moron for purchasing a E30 M3 in the first place. It's pretty much a known quantity as far as the pluses (handling, classic race car looks, high-revving motor) and negatives (the lack of low-end torque, buzziness, THE ACTUAL NEED TO MAINTAIN IT!) So how does he manage to buy a "mint" one a find out it's "garbage"?

what's so great is that there are only a couple of thousand in existence (in the US) and you don't see the same thing coming and going on your block (i.e. E36 M3). As far as the track, I'll have to wait and see this spring . . .

Merry Xmas,
                  Bryant

Comment

Haha, it is Bimmerforums, what do you expect? My friend's dad has a 911 Turbo and he was asking why I have an old BMW (it ran when this took place) and I took him for a ride.

All was explained. Like Desi said, you either get it or you don't.

Comment

That is really the answer "you either get it or you don't." stop,period whatever end of conversation.

Comment

I think the things that many of us love about these cars are precisely the reason many people are unimpressed. They are buzzy, unrefined, temperamental, and marginally comfortable.
                        Bingo, True race car built for the purpose of racing first, street worthiness second, maybe third. That's why I love it, it doesn't appeal to the yuppy scum buying new M3's because they're status symbols now, pretty well said , "they don't get it"

Look at Ferrari, even they have started to build cars with the high end clientel in mind, the "true" Ferrari in my mind is the F-40 and F-50 and Enzo. If I wanted a couch with wheels I'd go buy a Caddilac
                        Last edited by Highrever; 12-25-2003, 09:51 AM.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

The F40 and 288 GTO are the meanest Ferraris of the modern era. 360 Stradale a close second.

Comment

I dunno 200+HP w/chip out of a 2.3 4 cylinder w/individual throttles is still pretty good by today's standards considering how old the car is. Then consider that the engine made this power with AFM based engine management. I think that says a lot about this little 4 banger.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

dunno 200+HP w/chip out of a 2.3 4 cylinder w/individual throttles is still pretty good by today's standards considering how old the car is. Then consider that the engine made this power with AFM based engine management. I think that says a lot about this little 4 banger.
                              Very true.

The problem is that most street drivers equate engine power with torque, and the S14 does kind of fall flat in the torque department. The people who don't "get it" and don't understand these cars, take a test drive around town and shift up at 4K RPM. Under these conditions, the car IS a dog, because it has little torque.

As an example, I recently test drove a Mitsu EVO. In terms of flywheel HP, I think this car is probably only slightly more powerful than my (modified) M3. But it has MUCH more torque. Around town, leaving lights and all, the Mitsu felt much faster, my M3 was not even in the same league. But on the freeway, accelerating from speed at high RPM, I would wager the M3 was as fast if not faster (I believe it is somewhat lighter).

I would think on a racetrack, in the E30M3's environment, both cars competently driven, the Mitsu would be no faster and maybe not even as fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X