evo/m tech II steering wheel inquires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evo/m tech II steering wheel inquires

i own a 1991 m3 with srs installed from the factory. ive seen people who have installed m tech 2 wheels onto these cars and the wheel comes too close to the signal lever and windsheild wiper indicator and i would hit them everytime i turn the wheel. now i was wondering if there was a hub or spacer that would bring the wheel out an inch or two in order to make this wheel usable? also if there is anyone who knows of any installation precautions to take while removing and replacing an airbag wheel? thanks in advance.

ps: what does an airbag wheel with working air bag go for on the open market if i were to sell it?

looks better than it runs :/

I have a '90 that came with SRS so I dealt with the same issues. I wanted to use the EVO wheel also.

I decided the EVO wheel wasn't a good idea. I couldn't see a good way that it could be spaced out from behind to move it close enough to you. I have read about people bending their control stalks enough to make the wheel work. This was not only something I didn't want to do, it also doesn't change the fact that the wheel ends up too far from you.

I think the aftermarket Momo/Sparco wheel route is better for the airbag cars. Not only do the wheels come in many different designs with various amounts of dish, there are also an assortment of easily used spacers to get the wheel where you want it. Just my opinion.

I have read that to safely remove the airbag, you should disconnect the battery and wait at least 30 minutes before working on removing it. This is so the capacitors can discharge. They still say that the bags can (rarely) unexpectedly discharge while being removed for no apparent reason. I got mine out with no problems, but I gotta tell you I felt like I was dealing with a bomb the whole time.

I don't have any idea what one would go for on the used market. I plan on keeping mine so I can retrofit it in case I ever want to sell the car.

Hope this helps.

Comment

wow that truely sucks. i hate the look of all aftermarket wheels. they just look cheesy. i absolutely fell in love with the m tech 2 wheel when i saw it. id almost trade in my car for an older model just to get this to work! :lol: anyways. i hope somone else has a suggestion on this cuz i would hate to have to use some ugly momo wheel.

Comment

I have the evo/m tech II steering wheel in my '90 and I have no problems with hitting the turn switches. If you tracked the car, you would want a momo wheel spaced out further though. The only complaint I have is that the wheel is smaller diameter than stock and I have a hard time seeing the gauges at the very top.

All aside, the wheel looks stock, fits nicely, and feels good in my hands.

I could give you details on how to install, but it was there when I bought the car. I have to pull it soon to change my ignition switch and fix a squeek. If I do this soon, ill let you know how it was done.

One safety note on airbags, let the system discharge like was already said, and ALWAYS place the airbag on a table airbag side up. If it goes off - only airbag, if it goes off the otherway - the airbag will launch itself at a very high velocity into something else!

Comment

Try this site. http://www.tekniqauto.com/CDN/home.htm

I don't know if that will help you but their hub adaptor does bring the wheel closer. I have one of those "ugly momo wheels" and I'll be getting this kit for my car.

Comment

i just had an idea. how feasable would it be to buy the signal/whiper/cruise control levers and just bend them straight as opposed to the weird bended shape they already are? that would certainly create enough space for your fingers in that case. if those levers arent bendable, how about fabricating a straight rod in their place?

Comment

You could do that, but again, in my opinion the wheel is still too far from you.

It sounds like you are determined to get the wheel, so I say just do it. Maybe you can make it work well enough that you will be happy with it.

Worst case if you can't, you can still sell it on E-bay.

Comment

i can sorta live with the extra distance of the wheel since sit so erect anyways. its the signal levers getting in the way that would piss me off. i think im going to buy those parts and see what i can fabricate with them. does anyone know off hand if its cheaper from the dealer or from ebay for those things?

Comment

I have the EVO wheel on my airbag car and I have no problems. At first I thought the stalks were a little close to the wheels, but after like four days of actual driving I no longer no the difference. My hands never hit the stalks, even during autocrosses. It is a little far from the seat, that's true. But so was the stock wheel. Again, very easy to get accustomed to. I didn't even notice the change really until I just read it here in a previous post. I guess it's farther away, but it doesn't bother me. I've had it on my car now for two years.

David

Comment

I've had mine on my car for a while now, it's really nice and the fit is fine. I have learned to drive with out hitting the high beam stalk.

What you do is get a bigger spacer between the wheel and colum. But it's not what you think. The spacer fits behind steering bolt. You have one on there, you just need a 3-5mm longer one.

Make sure you disconnect the SRS computer first! If not you will have a PITA blinking red light in the check control!

Do not click
                    At least it's German

Comment

well, 5 mills is better than nothing i guess. man bmw were stupid not to have a telescopic wheel in their cars. well, im thinking im going to dive into this this weekend now that i have a wheel. if i dont like it, ill take it off and sell it, if i do like it ill sell the airbag wheel. has anyone sold one of those before and do they know around what they should sell for?

Comment

I am getting ready to install an M-TechII wheel on my 90, where is the ABS computer located?
                        06 325i | 90 535iM | 90 M3

BMWCCA# 358642

Comment

ABS computer is behind the driver's side trim panel to the left below the steering wheel.
                          Dominic

Comment

Working...
                          X