I got no interior heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got no interior heat?

Even when the egine is hot i cant get hot air in the car,its warm but its not as warm as it should be!any ideas?i really hasnt found any leaks but il check it again!

Heater core no worky. Maybe
    1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

thermostat possibly
      1990 e30 m3

Comment

Thermostat would cause the engine to heat up. If the engine is running hot and there is no heat coming into the car then it could be the thermostat.
        1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Is there a valve that controlls whether coolant flows through the heater core? I don't know how that works but it seems a likely culprit.
          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineRunner
            Is there a valve that controlls whether coolant flows through the heater core? I don't know how that works but it seems a likely culprit.
            Yes. Electronically actuated "ball valve" I think. Located inside the cabin, drivers footwell, near the firewall.
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

A very common mistake is switching the hoses that go into the heater core. The heater core pipes emerge from the driver's side firewall. The top hose is the coolant return hose.

Comment

1) Coolant Level (2) Loose belt causing poor circulation (3) restriction in the heater core circuit
                4) Air flow problem thru the heater housing
                With the engine fully warmed up, and the heater control lever on full hot, rev the engine to 15 - 1800 RPM and check the temperature of the two hoses going into the firewall (next to the brake booster). They should both be VERY hot, like you can only comfortably touch them with your fingertips for 2 - 3 seconds. If this is the case, I would check your that your temp door in the heater box is opening fully when you adjust the temp switch to fully warm.
                If both hoses are only warm like you can keep your hand comfortably on them for 10 seconds or longer, I would suspect low coolant level or a loose belt.
                If the top hose is significantly warmer than the bottom hose, i would check your heater on/off valve to make sure it is opening. Also possible would be a restricted heater core, but I've rarely seen this on a BMW.
                If the bottom hose is hotter than the top one, I would say your hoses are backwards.

Comment

Colin, I thought the bottom was the return hose

Comment

Yes, well, in my previous post there, please reverse the words 'top' and 'bottom' in the last two sentences.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the top hose is the return hose. THe valve controls the return flow.

Comment

Thanks boys il try and check your ideas in the spring when the car is ready for the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3
                          thermostat possibly
                          Originally posted by project86
                          Thermostat would cause the engine to heat up. If the engine is running hot and there is no heat coming into the car then it could be the thermostat.
                          Itís not the thermostat.
                          The thermostat can fail in 2 different ways:

1. Stay open all the time: your engine wonít reach proper operating temps in cold weather (and outer city driving) and your heater wonít work properly either. In fact, you might see a further reduction of coolant temp.
                          2. Stay closed all the time: your engine will overheat and you will have a working heater. Turning the heater on full blast will actually help cooling down the engine

And then it can fail somewhere in between, i.e. half open.

Coolant flow is like this:
                          from the water pump the water flows into the Ď3 arm hoseí thatís connected to the thermostat and to the pipe that is connected to the heater core. So wether or not the thermostat is open, coolant will always flow to the heater core. The only way to prevent flow through the heater core itself is the valve that is controlled by the temp knob inside the cabin. As long thatís turned to fully cold, thereís no flow through the heater core.

Comment

Hate to be that guy but i dont wanna start a new post.

My heat doesnt work, the hose on the top going into my firewall gets hot but the bottom one is ice cold. had my console out, you think its the valve?

Is the top hose the feed or return, the posts before were confusing, the valve is on the top hose.i think the top is the feed if its the one getting hot, no?

and is there anyway to fix the valve instead of payin 150 for a new one. thanks.
                            http://www.powerslidemotorsports.com

Comment

I just had the same problem and replaced the valve and the core. Its not a hard job at all. If I had to put money on it I would say it is the valve.

As far as fixing the old one I read that some people have done it with some success. I was not in the position to try and fix mine so I just replaced everything. Now the heat works great!

Comment

Working...
                              X