Renewing a tired interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing a tired interior

Hi, I recently purchased the E30 M3 that I have lusted over for so many years.

The one I bought has had 10 of thousands of Euro of work done on the Mechanicals and body to keep it like a new car, and looking in original condition.

However, the interior is a little tired. The Gear lever, Gear lever knob, steering wheel, pedal rubber and switches are easily enough replaced with bits from ebay and genuine BMW dealer parts, but I need some advice about what to do with the seats? The drivers seat is worn on the Bolster and in spots to the foam under neath. I think the foam is starting to split in places, and the upright is generally uncomfortable to sit against.

Are original BMW parts like the Foam cushions and fabric still available. I like the original look of the Car and I think that after market Steering wheels and seat look a bit crap, I would prefer to keep it looking standard.

Any advice much appreciated!

Can't realy say with out pics for sure,
    But by your discription of your M3's interior, Especially your drivers seat bolster, It sounds like it is beyond a splash of leather intiror cleaner, However the drivers bolster is the most common place for tired and split leather, But the rest of the seats maybe okay???...

Have you considered a re-trim??..

There are also alot of good leather cleaners on the market, And aslo some realy shit ones, Maybe some one here can give thier 02 on a good cleaner?!..

I think some fabric is still avalable, Not sure about foam and cushions though.

I don't know if the non M 3 series had the same foam, cushions etc?
    Evo

Comment

It is not leather it is a cloth interior, should have mentioned that!

I would be interested in getting the seats re-trimmed/rebuilt, I am trying to find out if the original fabric and seat parts are still available?

Comment

Many original fabrics/seat coverings are still available. There used to be a graphic on this site with the various material offerings/names through the model years which would aid in ordering.

The covers/sections are not cheap. It will require some persistance to convince any "normal" dealer that they should put in the parts order, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Best,
        Chris
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

If your car has the high back recaros from the Sport Evo then seat covers are NLA from BMW dealers, as are the seats, other cover are however available you'll have to check with the dealer to see if yours are.

Niccy on this forum has for sale black leather seats and cards.

Also saw this advertised earlier on;
          11/Nov/2006 - BMW M3 E30 INTERIOR - grey cloth, dark, £325 great condtion.
          [email protected] - -
          Ref Number: 17341 - bristol - (Private seller)

Go to http://www.bmwcarshowroom.com/
          then to spares page 3 right at the bottom for the picture.

A decent upholsterer should be able to refoam the seats and retrim them so their good as new.

Regards.

Schwarz 1990 Sport Evolution

Comment

Yes, the seat parts are still available

I rebuilt the standard E30 M3 seats a year ago. I used a high grade vinyl on the side bolsters, back, and head rest. I used euro cloth on the center section. There is a rebuild kit for the seat. Go to realoem.com for part numbers. The cloth was $80 USD and was enough for 2 seats.

Comment

Cdeason, Wow! I did not know such a site existed. Extremely useful, thanks! That should keep me going for a while!
              Last edited by M3 DUB; 11-14-2006, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I redid mine, front and rear with a kit from Kevin Chinn www.creativeoptions.info , black and grey two-tone leather/suede. It fit like a glove and came out looking perfect. He does evo cloth interiors now too, he tells me. It seems he can make a kit in just about any material/color/stitching.

Comment

DO the kits have to be fitted by him or can they be sent in the mail? It might be a bit far for me to drive.:p

Comment

He mailed mine with instructions and then called and emailed to see if I had Q's. You can either do the work yourself like I did, or take the material and seats to a local upholsterer. The only tools I needed were hog rings/pliers that I borrowed from a friend. pretty straightforward, the old leather is not glued or anything. I replaced one bolster foam with a new one from Bavarian Autosport. I took the opportunity to replace all 8 shocks in the seats at the same time, Bavarian again, (pricey). Kevin was really helpful, I knew nothing about upholstery before, now I do. Email him and he'll send you some pics.

Comment

Before you buy new material.

Most of the cloth may be cleaned and restored. Check with a furniture restoration shop to see what they can do to "Revive" the color and knap of your seats.

Most furniture craftsmen who pride themselves on their work would find the challenge interesting.

Just a thought. Oh and POST PICTURES!!!!

Comment

Not sure what color it is but i have some dark blue hounds tooth from doing our 318is over about 2 years ago. It might be enough to do the bolster...i think i have solid fuzzy sides and the middle was hounds tooth

From what i understand it wasnt available from BMW but my wifes family owns a interior shop and they were able to locate it out in cali.
                        If you dont have any luck let me know and i can find out the name of the supplier.
                        Reach out your hand if your cup is empty

Comment

Originally posted by sam3
                          He mailed mine with instructions and then called and emailed to see if I had Q's. You can either do the work yourself like I did, or take the material and seats to a local upholsterer. The only tools I needed were hog rings/pliers that I borrowed from a friend. pretty straightforward, the old leather is not glued or anything. I replaced one bolster foam with a new one from Bavarian Autosport. I took the opportunity to replace all 8 shocks in the seats at the same time, Bavarian again, (pricey). Kevin was really helpful, I knew nothing about upholstery before, now I do. Email him and he'll send you some pics.
                          Here is Sam's work he did a fantastic job having never installed upholstery. I have shipped small things to the UK but not full kits, I do not know what is involved. Here are a few customers kits they installed.

We've got you covered
                          www.seatkit.com
                          Your DIY upholstery source
                          [email protected]

Comment

Here is Sam's work he did a fantastic job having never installed upholstery. I have shipped small things to the UK but not full kits, I do not know what is involved. Here are a few customers kits they installed.

We've got you covered
                            www.seatkit.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

We've got you covered
                              www.seatkit.com
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X