Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few more items.

Originally posted by drinaldis
    I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Many years later, and I have still not got around to making my lows and highs come on at the same time... ugh.

Just got smoked Elips though, time to swap out my clears. Likely a good time to finaly get this sorted!
      Feel free to ask me any questions you have! Please email [email protected]
      VAC Motorsports :mario:
      (I don't check PMs often, please email)

Comment

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase 10 amp diodes for this high/low beam project? A part number would be awesome. Thanks,
        Tom
        Speedrr
        [email protected]

Comment

In town 3A diodes at radio shack (I think they end in p/n 402) are rated at 50 volts so at 12 volts I believe it's 12.5 amp. Online I'd just order from jamco.com

Also autolumination.com is a good source for connectors for those that don't want to chop off the factory connector and solder on the correct ones.
          Last edited by Jeremiah; 04-22-2011, 05:58 AM.

Originally posted by drinaldis
          I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help! Tom
            Speedrr
            [email protected]

Comment

Okay, I installed the above referenced Radio Shack diode from the existing factory high beam hot wire that already ran to the low beam - my car is a sealed beam version. I also installed a diode on the low beam wire to prevent the power when switched on high beam from traveling up to the low beam relay. I discovered this when I first wired the high beam to the low beam wire only on the drivers side of the car. When I turned the brights on all four lights came on. Based on the schematic it appears that the power from the one high beam I wired ran up the low beam wire which is spliced by the factory into the passenger side low beam. The 7.5 amp No. 1 fuse promptly blew - this fuse was pulling amps off the driver's side high and low beam and the passenger side low beam. That is my best guess anyway. So my conclusion (for what that is worth) is that you need four diodes to this job properly.
              Now, looking at the alternative technique of splicing the pin 30 on the high and low relay - how can this work? Would you not have to splice pin 87 on the two relays? Pin 30 is always hot coming from the power distribution block. It allows power to flow out pin 87 only when pins 85/86 close. Am I missing something?
              Thanks,
              Tom
              Speedrr
              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by speedrr View Post
                Based on the schematic...
                Please post the schematic or reference one in the 1988 BMW M3 Electrical Troubleshooting manual so that we know what you're referring to.
                2000 Subaru Legacy GT
                1995 BMW M3
                1988 BMW M3
                2002 Honda CBR954RR
                1993 Honda VFR400R
                1992 Honda CBR600F2
                1992 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Page 0670-4 of the 1988 BMW M3 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual show the splice of the two low beams. It does not however show the factory wire running from the high beam to the low beam wt/vi.
                  Speedrr
                  [email protected]

Comment

I haven't done this install yet. I will be doing it this summer with a full write-up. I want to even include a complete parts list.

Sorry If I came across differently. I'm still not 100% sure why the low beams go dark when you turn on the high beams. There could be a couple reasons, and I won't spend time going into the details, but the bottom line is that I need to study the schematics before I can make any definitive statements as to why this is happening. From what I remember, Jeremiah knows why the low beams go dark, so please feel free to chime at any time.

I've been very busy with school lately and will done for the summer in 2 weeks. After that it's time to working on the E30, including installing these Euro headlights.
                    2000 Subaru Legacy GT
                    1995 BMW M3
                    1988 BMW M3
                    2002 Honda CBR954RR
                    1993 Honda VFR400R
                    1992 Honda CBR600F2
                    1992 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                    X