No power to fog light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power to fog light

Right fog light (facing the front) has no power. Other is okay. Fuses 7.5A #29 & 30 are okay. Fog Light Relay must me also good since the other light is okay. Trace out wiring making sure there are no breaks and the connector was also tested for power. Any ideas? BTW, what is the purpose of the K5 and K7 Unloader Relay? Are they related to the fog light issue? Thanks.
    Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
    '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
    '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
    '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
    '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
    '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Have you checked the bulb?

Comment

BTW, lamps are new. I checked for power behind the lamps at the connector.
      Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

There was one time when my foglights for some strange reason didn't come on. Works right now, but never really sought out the problem.

Comment

There must be a way to test the continuity from fuse box to the end. Process to short a teminal to get the proper reading????
          Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

I'm having the same problem...right fog too. so their coming off and going for the air ducts instead.:idea: :smile2:
            Ogi
            :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

At the connector for the R/H foglight, Make sure you have 12 volts at the yellow/violet wire. If that's OK, check the other terminal for continuity to ground. If both these tests check out OK the your problem is in the fog light unit. Reconnect the connector, then remove the bulb (don.t touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers). check the wire leading to the bulb for 12 vollts. If that's OK then check that the bulb housing(where that metal part of the bulb sits) has continuity to ground.
              Actually you can check by the bulb first, then by the connector.

The K5 & K7 unloader relays remove power from certain things while cranking.
              They are normally grounded through the starter motor , except when cranking they get 12 volts from the starter so 12 volts on each side of the relay winding causes it to open. The ground wire for the relays is the second small wire that attaches to the starter solenoi.

Good Luck

jimmyC

Comment

Thanks Jimmy, unfortunately, there is no 12v going to the terminal or the lamp. Is there a way to check for continuity to the fuse box and relays?
                Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Assuming no power at fuses 29 & 30
                  First remove relay K8. With the key on eng off and the headlites on low beam, check for 12 volts at teminal 30 & at terminal 86 inside the fuse box. If you have 12 volts at both terminals, turn on the fog light switch and check for continuity between terminal 86 & ground, Also check the resistance in ohms between terminal 87 & ground.
                  Let us know the results

jimmyC

Comment

fogs

I only had passenger fog until I took out drivers cleaned contacts and repaired 'burnt' portions of both ground & live wires. Seems they get burnt when touching back of the bulb/lense. Excess wire needs to be pushed back thru grommet in light holder. Changed bulbs with some 12v/55w H3 Bosch. both are working fine now.

Comment

jimmyC- terminal 30 & 86 has 0 VDC inside fuse box on K8 removed with headlites on low beam. Terminal 86 & Grd. direct continuity. Terminal 87 & Grd. had 22.4 ohms. As I am also looking at the Fuse Block Wiring Diagrams provided by http://www.diakom.ru, a little background on my headlights. Since I have a '90 seal beams, I converted to Euro Smiley's. And in short cut to make this work, I shorted the two terminals 30 on K3 & K4. Through this, it all works, with exception of the Rt. Fog Light. I hope this helps. Again, this is the short cut way without tearing apart the fuse box.
                      Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Sorry, I got a little mixed up here.
                        First, i meant to say check between Term 30 and ground, then between term 86 and ground, but if your L/H fog light is working then the relay is working.
                        Recheck that you have power on both sides of fuse 30. Wiggle the fuse in case there is a loose connection at the fuse. When you're sure that's OK, remove the connector at the foglight and check like I said in my first post.
                        If you power at the fuse, but no power at the connector, then trace the yel/vio wire backwards towards the fuse box. Most likely place for it to break would be right there at the back of the connector, or between the conn. and where it comes out of the main harness below the headlights.

Comment

I will check for power on Fuse 30 tonight and wiggle if necessary. I also have removed the connector (quick disconnect) to the fog light. No power coming out from the two pins. I trace the wire back straight to the big harness of wires which leads to the fuse box. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
                          Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Boots,

Just had this two weeks ago on an E30 M3 I was working on (also happened on my car)..... The terminal plugs (where the main harness & the fog light harness plug together), the main harness side needed the terminal inside the plug to be cleaned. Try taking some electrical cleaner inside the plug & I scraped the inside pins w/ a very small flat tipped screw driver to "scuff" the pin up (be careful you do not slip & injure yourself or slip over into the other pin). I also used some di-electrical grease inside the plug when I put them back together (to help promote... happiness :girl: together).

Give it a try- I was not getting any power off the pin either (but did the above mentioned remedy). Also check to make sure the grounds are good where the clip onto the back of the fog light (tight, do not slide off, etc.)

Don McAdams
                            1988 E30 M3
                            "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Thanks Don, I will try this procedure. I did notice inside the connector with the two pins that they are sort of greenish. But hey, I ass(umed) that as long as there is contact with the male & female plugs, that all are in nirvana. Will let all know what comes up
                              Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Working...
                              X