No announcement yet.

No power to fog light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally tested the hot side of Fuse 29 with fuse removed, to the two pin connector C126. I have a short to ground. Yet the 7.5A fuse does not blow when energized. Does anybody have the proper procedure to open up the fuse box so as I can T/S to see if the short is inside the box. Pics are also appreciated if available. I am reading approx 17 ohms on Left side and I get 10 ohms on the Rt. side (good side). If any of this readings help. Also, if any of you have a spare C128 two pin connector available, please let me know. The short might also be in the connector. I would rather cut and splice when I have the spare available. This is the Yellow/Brown wire. Yes Don, I did clean inside the connector. Thanks.
    Lawrence

BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen
    '09 540i Touring 6 Spd - Son's DD
    '03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD
    '03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab - My DD & Range truck
    '05 330i ZHP 6 Spd - Alternate DD
    '15 Honda Pilot - Daughter's & Grandkids Hauler

Comment

Check the voltage between fuse 29 (both sides) and ground. If you have 12 volts there, then go down to the connector and stick a straight pin through the yellow wire, about one inch behind the connector. Measure the voltage between the pin and ground. If you have 12 volts there, stick the pin in the brown wire and measure the voltage. If you have zero volts, then all the wiring up to the connector is good. The problem is either in the connector or in the foglight itself. Dab some silicone on the holes in the wires where the pin went thru. Carefully open the fog light and probe the wiring inside to find where the voltage stops.

Comment

I have voltage coming out of Fuse 29. The problem is between fuse and connector C126. No voltage coming out of the pin (yl/br). I need to try your trick on sticking a pin behind the connector. This way I will be able to determine if the connector is the problem and causing the short. I already tested the fog light by switching Left to Rt and vice versa and also rigging a direct wire from fuse to light. Will keep you updated.
        Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Awrightee....I really do need a 'how-to' procedure with pics if available, for disassembly & reassembly of the fuse box. After all of the t/s, I have a short of 17 ohms on load side of fuse 29. I get 0 ohms on fuse 30. If I was to wiggle around the big main harness coming out of the fuse box, the resistance goes down to 11 ohms. Both fog lights were disconnected when taking the readings. C126 connected was cut to isolate the wiring. I had a replacement when I went to Autobahn parts later reconnected.
          Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Fuse 29 also connects to the indicator lamp in the fog light switch whether the switch is on or off.

Comment

Soory, I meant the indicator lamp in the instrument cluster.

Comment

I will disconnect fog indicator & switch tonight to test if the resistance is still in the circuit. Since both C126 & C2 are in the same circuit. Will let you know...BTW, isn't the indicator and the switch the same????? Thanks.
                Lawrence

'03 530i 5 Spd - SO's DD

Comment

Working...
                X